On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspiration

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspiration

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspiration

On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspirations behind ...

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Turtwig family.

Read more on Bulbanews

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspira

The first Origin Story I already knew. Phew. Don't have to learn anything today.

But a good article. I loved the opening.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspira

So the development of the Turtwig family isn't as lazy as I thought it was.

Just imagine this infinite stack of increasing large turtles. As untrue as it is, the mere thought of it is mind-blowing.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

I don't have time to read this now, but looks like a good read.

So the development of the Turtwig family isn't as lazy as I thought it was.
    If you look at most pokemon, you'll see this, pokemon designs are not as simple as we think some are, take Dunsparce, most think its stupid, but reading bulbapedia, aside from its name, what what its based on is quite interesting:

Dunsparce is based on the mythical tsuchinoko. Similar to Bigfoot or the Chupacabra, sightings and reports appear in the Japanese media, however hard evidence is always lacking. Tsuchinoko are 30 cm to 80 cm long, with a large head and poisonous fangs. Its body is thicker than its head and tail. The noises it makes resemble squeaks, chirps and snores. Unlike real snakes, which slither from side to side, a tsuchinoko wiggles ahead in a straight line. The tsuchinoko curls its body to leap through the air. Moreover, the fact that Dunsparce, a snake-like creature, has wings also brings to mind the motif of the Feathered Serpent, a prominent deity or supernatural being in many Mesoamerican religions. In addition, Dunsparce shares some traits with bumblebees, including their stripes, tiny wings, stinger-like tail, and the fact that they burrow into the ground.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Very fascinating and cool, as always!
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Oh my god Game Freak have actually got good inspiration.
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Insanity is the one truth Senzura's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, this one I actually already knew =)

Wasnt there a boss in KH2 based of the same thing?

URPG StatslNational Park
    Im a ranger in that URPG thing. ask me to...range?

PM me if you have an idea for a signiture.

Blog Entries

This one should have been obvious, considering Torterra's HGSS entry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Senzura View Post
    Wow, this one I actually already knew =)

Wasnt there a boss in KH2 based of the same thing?
    Ground Shaker Heartless formed by multiples of Scar's Ghost in the Pride Lands? I think so.

I remember someone saying that the new pokemon look "uninspired." but after I found this site I found that Game Freak actually does some work in creating these pokemon. I kind of figured the Turtwig family would be based on the concept of the world turtle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FistOfTheBeastKing View Post
    Ground Shaker Heartless formed by multiples of Scar's Ghost in the Pride Lands? I think so.
    Oh christ, don't remind me of that guy.

I always thought anatomically that the Turtwig family were based off of snapping turtles.

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Blog Entries

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the turtle from avatar the last airbender
    "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."

- William Westmoreland

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

-Douglas MacArthur

This is why I fell in love with Torterra after first seeing it: I instantly knew what its origin was and what it was based off. Such an idea occured to me in designing some fake Pokemon. It was one of those ideas in an ocean of miscellaneous concepts and thoughts that I had created just out of random brainstorming prior to Torterra's creation from which I wished there would actually be a design for. So BAM, here's Torterra, and I'm very glad they chose a starter as the base AND to make it Grass/Ground (a perfect fit).

Of course, they added a nice touch by turning Torterra into a small variation on the dinosaur ankylosaurus (or closely related relative). He's not ALL turtle thankfully, like Turtwig and (arguably) Grotle. Just seeing this powerful creature makes you think, "damn, he must have a great defense."
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Instantly when I saw Torterra I thought he was based off of Genbu, the northern holy beast of Kyoto. Mostly because of Digimon depicting his digimon version as a giant two headed tortoise with a giant tree on the back of his shell. And now I'm trying to imagine torterra with an Irish brogue...

Droppin' Nerdy References Stormy's Avatar

I only thought of Discworld, but it is cool to know that that was from somewhere to.
    "Jean is shorter than Brutus, but taller than Imhotep. Imhotep is taller than Jean, but shorter than Lord Scotland. Lord Scotland is twice the height of Jean and Brutus combined, but only one-tenth of the height of Millsy. Millsy is at a constant height of x − y. If Jean stands exactly one nautical mile away from Lord Scotland, how tall is Imhotep?"-Look around You

Answer: Imhotep is invisible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast