On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations behind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations behind

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations behind

On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Shuppet and Banette.

Read more on Bulbanews

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations beh

An actual, undisclosed prize will go to the first person who can tell me what eighties cartoon series was referenced in this week's column.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations beh

Banette rocks. Desperately needs an evolution.

But yeah, Banette is like that doll from the movie that the children are frightened of and until the end seems rather innocent. Can't remember the name of the movie.

Blog Entries

Follow Metabee on Tumblr

Unfortunately, I may have also implied that every single inanimate object in your bedroom has the potential to come to life... especially once you've turned the light off. So... sorry about that.
    Time to look for my night light.

This was interesting to read. There's something that draws me to mythical folklore-y stuff, and learning about some Japanese myths was certainly different. Obviously I should read these a lot more often...

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

How creepy and perfect for Halloween (he totally waited for this)

Blog Entries

This was perfect for Halloween.

Shuppet and Banette are very interesting Pokémon. I also like mythology and folklore, so this was a great read.

And I loved the last part of the article. :)

Blog Entries

Banette's one of my favourite Pokemon and I find Copycat owning one funny as well, though I wonder what happened to her Doduo...

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

You gotta love the wonderful world of youkai, right?

Interesting read, as always.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    An actual, undisclosed prize will go to the first person who can tell me what eighties cartoon series was referenced in this week's column.
    It's Count Duckula.

Also, to be fair, I had no idea and just searched the line which I guessed was the reference.

Trust me, I'm the Doctor. rockman0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a great article. Like everyone else said, it was perfect for Halloween.

Unfortunately, I may have also implied that every single inanimate object in your bedroom has the potential to come to life... especially once you've turned the light off. So... sorry about that.
    Don't worry, Toy Story and Small Soldiers did that for me a long time ago. >_<

Also, your bit about the Voodoo practices prompted me to do a bit of research. My assumption of the religion was way off. That goes to show: you can't believe everything that you see on television. :S
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies.
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    When a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the loss.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Finally someone notices Haiti isn't that bad!

Most of them are catholic actually. ._.

Moving on...I loved the article Bannette is definatly one of my favorite pokemon.

When I first saw Shuppet and Banette in Sapphire all those years ago, I thought they were really cool, but recently I tend to forget about them. I'm confused why Dusclops got an evolution, but Banette didn't. Thats like Purugly, Arcanine, or Wargle getting an evolution, but their counter parts don't. Strange.
    I claimed Squirtle.

My SoulSilver Info:
    Name: Allan
    Friend Code: 0818 5931 2255

We're very concerned. Bittersweet's Avatar

Follow Bittersweet on Tumblr

Interesting again!

I actually looked all over the net for info on Voodoo dolls and Voodoo a while ago and found no such link between them, suprisingly. It struck me as strange because they're always depicted as being able to control the actions, feelings, physical wellbeing of others and are always called 'Voodoo dolls'. :P

My Gold Trainer Card (Pokémon X) :)

Find Me On The Youtubez SaffronGamer's Avatar

awsome article
    ever considered doing a trilobite?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

It's interesting that Shuppet was partly inspired by the teru teru bozu. I never thought about that, and more interesting was that Banette wasn't really inspired by the voodoo doll, but still of something by that nature, but since voodoo dolls are the commonly known type, I guess it's basically inspired that way. It's nice to know that Japanese treasures their old stuff, on the belief that they will become alive. If computers can become alive in 100 years, now that's an interesting thought~

Thanks for reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast