On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspiratio - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspiratio

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspir

Quote Originally Posted by bluestarfish View Post
    This was a neat article but the second seems to be a bit misleading as applying to most cicada. Some types are on a considerably shorter cycle, even as short as just yearly.
    Hmm... I thought the article made it clear that the long cycles were specific to Magicicada.

Actually, Nincada's HGSS Pokedex entries mention it living underground for more than 10 years, which does bring Magicicada to mind. Most Japanese cicadas, to my knowledge, have much shorter life cycles than that.

The Donphan in the Room
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspir

Ew, no more bug Pokemon, pl0x. Scared to death of those little things. That being said, it was a very interesting article. I learned something new today, even though I wasn't sure it was something I wanted to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll probably be getting Brood XIX next year. Anyway, I'm surprised that the Nincada line makes no reference to the long time nymphs spend underground (even for the species that only stay in the ground for a year or so, that is quite a long time) or to the loud noise cicadas make.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember how bad it was in Princeton 6 years ago. Again a terrific article, though I did find it a bit odd that there was absolutely no mention of the ninja aspect.

Trust me, I'm the Doctor. rockman0's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Youngster_Joey View Post
    I would love to see a Cicada in person, and I'm also curious to hear how annoying they really are. I kind of knew about Nincada's inpiration before this, but it's still a great read.

Also, this image kind of creeps me out:
    If you want a rather small glimpse of the annoyance of the sound of cicadas, try playing Animal Crossing during the summer in the evening.

I always hear them at night, but I never see them. Maybe because they were underground. *shiver* scary thought.

Love this article. Can't wait for next week's!
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies.
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    When a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the loss.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heh. I remember a few years ago in Michigan, it was so awful. They were flying around in gigantic swarms of like hundreds in my driveway. Anyways, a nice article.

(Oh, and this one time, I had been eating at a restraunt, and when I left, the little bugs were crowding on every bush, tree, etc. Oh, and trust me, they ARE very annoying.)
    -Gray [n.] Any achromatic color; any color with zero chroma, intermediate between white and black.-
    Assassins' Creed: Reborn, my newest RP

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You guys are lucky. I live out here in New York so I can't hear any cicada.

..That gif is mesmerizing.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me, it is surprising that most insects live longer in their 'larva' state than as an adult. Anyway, a great article as always.

Archosaur Enthusiast Spikeheila's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

but-but guyyssss 3rd gen pokemon lack inspiration and heart. They all suck because they don't have any thought put into them!
    /sarcasm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As always, this was a great article. Though I did groan a little when I found out someone had named a genus Magicicada.

But man oh man. These Tennessean summers are bad enough as is, and next year I'm going to have to deal with a giant swarm of bugs? Ugh.
    HeartGold FC: 0732-9993-6192

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123