On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind P

Default On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind P

On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Manaphy and Phione.

Read more on Bulbanews

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behi

It still surprises me what you can learn if you research more on the species that the Pokémons are based on. This is no exeption :)

Insanity is the one truth Senzura's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behi

Lol I love these. Darwin can suck it.

URPG StatslNational Park
    Im a ranger in that URPG thing. ask me to...range?

PM me if you have an idea for a signiture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Transfinite View Post
    Uh, what does this article have to do with Darwin (whose theories were perfectly sound, mind you)?
    Im saying origin of species on pokemon is better than origin of species on boring finches

I have nothing agaist darwins theories, in fact I love them. Cant anyomne make a joke anymore?

URPG StatslNational Park

Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Senzura View Post
    Im saying origin of species on pokemon is better than origin of species on boring finches
    I could debate with you on the idea of those finches being 'boring,' but that is neither here nor there.

All in all, another fascinating article. I happen to have a soft spot for slugs and other gastropods, so I enjoyed this article in particular.

Photo ALL of the Pokemon TPJerematic's Avatar
    Follow TPJerematic On Twitter

Well that one caught me by surprise, i would never have thought that Manaphy and Phione were based on a sea slug.

Interesting and facinating.

Gardevoir next plox!

From a National Geographic blog:

The sea angel is the second undersea animal considered very special in this region. It is a tiny invertebrate, about 2-3 centimeters in length that flies through the water on diminutive wings. Its scientific name is Clione limacine and is found in various cold-water climes in a number of locations worldwide. Their little bodies are translucent and colored blue, red and orange. Small tentacles that look like horns can be seen on the tops of their heads. I knew that sea angles were found here in winter and had listed them near the top of my shot list. They truly seem otherworldly and to me, embody the spirit of this place perhaps more than any other animal. Seki-san and Ayako spoke of them often and told us how they awaited their arrival, which signaled that the ocean had transformed from autumn into winter. I had received an email a few weeks before I left home telling me they had seen the first Clione of 2008.

Each day on the way to Seki-san’s dive shop I saw sea angels painted on the side of the elementary school and even found Hello Kitty sea angel key chains in local gift shops. Clearly, they have become part of the local lore. But I learned from Seki that there is a National Geographic connection to this local lore. A little over twenty years ago, no one knew that sea angles lived in these waters. But around that time NGM photographer Flip Nicklin was working in Rausu with Japanese filmmaker Koji Nakamora. Flip was helping Koji with an underwater film and noticed the cliones while working underwater. He told Seki-san, who had just launched his dive shop business back then. Since that time, they have taken their place with other celebrated Hokkaido wildlife from brown bears and dancing cranes to snow monkeys. Seki also went on to tell me that Flip was the very first person from the United States to ever dive here. And since that time, no other American divers have come here. So Mauricio and I are the second and third divers from America to dive Hokkaido, as far as we know.
    Oh, and it should be obvious to any who were involved in the Digimon fandom what Marine Angemon is, now.

Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

That is amazing, I never would have figured that out.

I think dunsparce and it's link to the japanese tsuchinoko should be next.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

It's amazing what you can learn by reading "On the Origin of Species." First of all, I never even heard of the clione. All I can say is: one professionally written article.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I was first introduced to the clione by this album cover. The band (who are Japanese) are fans of the clione, and the picture supposedly illustrates the creature's dual nature: both an angel and a demon. I was hooked on clione myself after reading about that.

Blog Entries

*Is drawling clione fanart*

URPG StatslNational Park

Blog Entries
    Follow manathief On Twitter
    Follow manathief on Tumblr

This is really neat.
    ...personally, I'd like to see Drowzee next.

im cool and funky

she/they pronouns

I love reading these "On the Origin of Species" articles. Aside from learning about new facts, I see deeper connections between our world and the Pokemon world and how Pokemon is not, say, a game with a bunch of funny creatures.

Smile Another nice article

I like On the Origin of Species. Thanks, George!

I always was attracted to Manaphy and Phione's adorable charms, and now I know why! ;A; So now that's Omastar, Gastrodon, and Manaphy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast