On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BulbaBot

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

As part of an ongoing series exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Slowpoke family.

Read more on Bulbanews
    Reila likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémo

That was really nice to read, thought I was already familiar with Dunsparce's origins and the concept of the Tsuchinoko.

By the way, I really like those articles, so I am really glad Bikini Miltank is writing them again.

Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémo

I remember when I first found Dunsparce in Dark Cave. I thought it must've been some rare Pokemon.

Never have I been so wrong.

But it is rare or rather it WAS rare. Just not strong. Like Chimecho.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

When I was a young and naive kid, I used to think Dunsparce was some kind of bee that lived in caves and burrowed underground. I know better now.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hm, this doesn't explain Dunsparce's drill tail and its burrowing abilities. I guess Tsuchinoko are believed to live in caves too and hide underground, or simply it's an association to things burrowing to escape sight, hinting at it being elusive.

Still, I love how tales of one of the weirder creatures of japan ended up mixing with one of the weirder creatures of america: You get a weird fat undulating snake that rolls around in a hoop and can jump.

Anyway, great article with a lot of interesting explanations to it. The flying snakes are interesting, given what we are lately learning about flight in general.
    I honestly hope one of the next two articles is Celebi... There wouldn't be a more appropiate moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    But it is rare or rather it WAS rare. Just not strong. Like Chimecho.
    The first time I ever saw a Chimecho, I actually thought it was a legendary.
    If only it got an evolution or something...

[/overexposition]

I really missed these articles. Hope more are coming!

For a while when I first saw Dunsparce I wrongly assumed that it was laying on it's back and had a distended stomach. It just looked like a sleepy yellow thing just laying there.

I mean look at it, it looks like it's just sleeping there with it's tiny white arms.

Obviously later I figured out it had fangs and was actually on it's stomach all along.

I really hope they evolve this thing it's been getting a lot of game and anime exposure lately and that's usually a good sign of evolution.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I never saw Dunsparce at all in Generation 2, so I was surprised to see it in Generation 3 (the remake games). I thought it would be some fancy type, but was a bit disappointed to see it being a pure Normal-type. It's such a weird creature. Like the above user mentioned, I used to think that it is a sleeping thing, mainly because of the striped back (which looks like a stomach). It's difficult to see it being snake like, but looking at the mouth would be easy.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)