On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations behind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations behind

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations behind

On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Chinchou and Lanturn.

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations be

haahah good article, very interesting that part of the males
    Gone

Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations be

Yes! It's funally here!

Good article by the way. very informative.

Confusing Post Syndrome Fern 24's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice and an easy read. The articles were starting to be a bit hard to read. That bit about the males attaching to the females' bloodstream was quite creepy, but still a very good tactic for survival.
    I ship my Avatar & Oshawott! - Inheritance fans, unite!

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

This one, I knew already. Its too bad that Lanturn doesn't look nearly as epic as the anglerfish in that pic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fern 24 View Post
    That bit about the males attaching to the females' bloodstream was quite creepy, but still a very good tactic for survival.
    Hmm... Sounds a bit like my boyfriend, through he hasn't quite physically latched on as an inseparable parasite yet...

Very interesting read, as always. The Anglerfish has always been a favorite of mine ever since I saw the ugly thing on a poster. Its creepy visage fascinated me to the point of obsession, where I was asking marine biologists if there was anyway possible to get them into an aquarium without dying from the lack of water pressure. Who wouldn't want one of these foul creatures of the deep sitting in their home to scare off burglars? :D

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Awesome read, kinda disguisting though, about the males and the females.
    -Gray [n.] Any achromatic color; any color with zero chroma, intermediate between white and black.-
    Assassins' Creed: Reborn, my newest RP

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Absol View Post
    Awesome read, kinda disguisting though, about the males and the females.
    It may be "disgusting" to you or other people, but it's a survival tactic that works perfectly well enough for the Anglerfish.

I've wondered a bit as to why Chinchou and Lanturn doesn't have a huge gender difference like real anglerfish, but It might not only be that fans might find it "disgusting", it could be difficuly in coding such an arangement (Same holds true for Shellder/Slowpoke, Magnamite/Magneton and Beldums), or it could be due to the fact that this arrangement was a relatively recent discovery and Chinchou/Lanturn already existed.

Oh well, there's always hope that Gen 5 or even later ones could bring a more "realistic" anglerfish.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Well, that was an interesting article.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I've kinda fallen a bit behind on reading these guys, haven't read the last two, but this really was a nice and easy read. I actually didn't know that about them, just because I really have never had much focus on fish. Once again, terrific job with what you're doing and definitely keep it up.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

The irony of it is, you mentioned the Pokémon look like they should be in a Pixar movie. However, an anglerfish DID appear in Finding Nemo, but as a danger, so it looked much more frightening than these. See it here.

The Calm-spirited Student zenmaster_pfc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*now waiting for a more sinister-looking anglerfish Pokémon*
    You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded, *that's* hard! ~Sue

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Heh, yep, somebody else mentioned to me that there actually was an anglerfish in Finding Nemo. If Pixar can't prettify you, you've got real problems...

I did ponder the possibility of Chinchou getting a split evolution to a more realistic anglerfish, becoming a Water/Dark type but keeping its Electric moves. But it doesn't look like we'll be getting many new evolutions of existing Pokemon this gen, so I don't think it's an immediate prospect ^_^

The Calm-spirited Student zenmaster_pfc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    I did ponder the possibility of Chinchou getting a split evolution to a more realistic anglerfish, becoming a Water/Dark type but keeping its Electric moves. But it doesn't look like we'll be getting many new evolutions of existing Pokemon this gen, so I don't think it's an immediate prospect ^_^
    Then, I'll just hope they consider it too. Maybe in gen6.
    You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded, *that's* hard! ~Sue

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I used to think that anglerfish was masculine due to their ruthlessness, but after reading the article, I was surprised to find out that the males of the species is practically invisible, and has a short lifespan as well, like the bagworm, where the males' body are different from the females', and the males also have a shorter lifespan as well.

Still, it was a great article. Keep it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast