On the Origin of Species: Absol: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Thread: On the Origin of Species: Absol: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default On the Origin of Species: Absol: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

On the Origin of Species: Absol: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

As part of an ongoing series exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Absol.

Read more on Bulbanews

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Absol: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

I had previously heard somewhere that absol was based on some european legendary harbinger of doom. I had no idea it was actually this chinease/japanese creature. Interesting.

Default Re: On the Origin of Species: Absol: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Quote Originally Posted by Morgil View Post
    I had previously heard somewhere that absol was based on some european legendary harbinger of doom. I had no idea it was actually this chinease/japanese creature. Interesting.
    That would be the Black Dog or Barghest. Interestingly, the barghest's lore does actually fit a bit more with Absol's bio about being misunderstood since a lot of Black Dog tales have it being misunderstood as a portent of death when it was actually trying to warn lost travelers of danger.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Barghest doesn't fit Absol at all. Firstly Absol doesn't look like any sort of canine species; Secondly it foretells natural disasters, not death of anyone; Thirdly, the themes of Pokemon species are still very "Japanese" back at Gen III. Only starting from Gen V, where the region based on a foreign country's city, then Pokemon started to adopt myths/legends/folklores creatures in Western cultures.

Therefore when one tried to explain Pokemon's origin, one should assign first priority to all sorts of possible Japanese real and mythical creatures, and secondly to other Asian countries' creatures, then Western real creatures, and then the final priority in the Western mythical creatures (with only one exception of European Dragons).
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I did look into the barghest, and I can see where the parallels lie and why it gets mentioned as a possible origin. But yeah, the hakutaku and its variants definitely fit the bill more, especially when I got reading about the kutabe sub-myth.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I always imagined Absol being based on a white wolf, though the hakukaku clearly is always portrayed as an animal with a humans face, it's obvious they gave Absol a more dog/cat like face to make it more relatable, as well as much cuter.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account