Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pichu - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pichu

Blog Entries

Default Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pic

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Nope, but in this case it's quite factual.

It's not nice to call kids who use official names for things instead of some cliquey fan-term "smart-ass" either.
    It's not nice, but it sure is funny as hell.

And yeah, I used to be one of those kids that knew everything about Pokemon before I joined the wapanese-wanna-be fandom, and those kids are smart-asses.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    I would continue this battle of wits with you but you're obviously unarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    Deal with it.

The Weirdest Tower Tycoon Nevando's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pic

I think I'll just call it Pichu.

>_>

<_<

It's not like it is an entirely new species or anything.

No Sacrifice, No Victory Rosakai's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always called her Spiked-Ear Pichu anyway (as I looked at her ear and it didn't seem even remotely notched to me), so Spiky-Eared isn't too much of a change for me.

But like it's been pointed out, Notched-Ear was just a fan name. Giza has more than one meaning in Japanese. Notched is one of them, and so is Spiked.

You may lose your faith in us, but never in yourselves. From here, the fight will be your own.

Blog Entries

Good name change. From what I've heard, her ear isn't even notch-shaped.

'Myles' from Bulbapedia Myles Grey's Avatar

The whole 'notched-ear' thing was really a mistake a fans made I mean. 'Gizamimi' can mean either 'notched' or 'spiky' (as already stated), so when people have to decide which one they meant, they went with 'notched', I mean why? It's clearly a spiky ear.

Anyway, I never liked the term 'notched-ear', so I like this 'spiky-ear' thing. Although, I'm still not convinced it will have an English name (many of the translated things lose a name when they go to English). So I think it would be more 'a spiky-eared Pichu' rather than 'the Spiky-ear Pichu'.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

IIRC, the name isn't ever used in the actual movie anyway. Only in the promotional material and the TV series' current ending theme.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

The name change wasn't really required. Although American youth aren't that smart, they probably changed the name to something that they'd understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy Jazzy View Post
    The name change wasn't really required. Although American youth aren't that smart, they probably changed the name to something that they'd understand.
    There was no name change; "Notched-ear" was nothing more than the popular fan-translation of Gizamimi--both Spiky and Notched are workable translations of it. PCI has apparently just gone with Spiky.

For the last time, the name wasn't changed. And what's all this talk about 'notched' being a complex word. If you think that's a complex word, then well...

Edit: late post. :P

Follow Usagi-Zakura on Tumblr Visit Usagi-Zakura's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Grey View Post
    For the last time, the name wasn't changed. And what's all this talk about 'notched' being a complex word. If you think that's a complex word, then well...

Edit: late post. :P
    I did:p
    I had no idea what Notched meant before I saw the Notched-ear Pichu. True my first language isn't English but not all of us are born American you know-.- (and before you ask: the games aren't even translated to my language so I get the English language versions anyway)

Gizamimi is still Gizamimi, whatever you call her. =))

So... now it's SEP? XD
    I actually like Spiky more, though I'll have to get used to it after all that time of reading "notched" everywhere
    As was already said - I'm pretty sure the name is never mention in the movie or in games so it really doesn't matter much... they also won't dub the ED song so the only thing that will use "Spiky Ear Pichu" is advertisements for the movie/games

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi-Zakura View Post
    I did:p
    I had no idea what Notched meant before I saw the Notched-ear Pichu. True my first language isn't English but not all of us are born American you know-.- (and before you ask: the games aren't even translated to my language so I get the English language versions anyway)
    Obviously I wasn't referring to people who's first language isn't English.

Blog Entries

for a nickname when I get it if they distribute it to America, it will be Wierd-ear
    ~--++~~This signature is currently under construction. Please wait for anything fancy~~++--~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234