Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelution

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelution

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelution

Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelution

The Official Nintendo Magazine has revealed Ninfia's English name to be Sylveon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelu

OK, the English name might be based on the Sylph, here's a description of the Sylph from Wikipedia:
    Sylphs are winged air elements or fairies. They ride the wind, flying high with eagles, Sylphs are female and are almost transparent. They're slender and graceful, with large glistening eyes and huge wings. Sylphs befriend and protect other flying creatures, such as birds, moths and butterflies. Sylphs can move as fast as lightning, but they may also drift along on draughts or puffs of wind.
    You think the English name is proof that it is a flying type? All of the evolved Eeveelutions have names based on their elements, so this one is most likely not an exception.

One more thing:
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelu

Defo a girl only evoution if it is based on what you wrote.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's still a theory at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt at the moment.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

If it is based on a Sylph, remember that there's a company in the Pokemon world that has a named also based on sylph...

"Sylveon", first and foremost, brings into my mind the latin world "silva", also sometimes appearing as "sylva", which means "forest".
    silva - Wiktionary:
    "From Proto-Indo-European *swel-, *sel- (“mountain, ridge, forest”). Akin to Proto-Germanic *swiliō, *suliō (“beam, threshold”), whence Old English syll, sylle "beam, large timber used as a foundation for a wall" (Modern English sill). More at sill."

Also, sylvan, which originates from "silva".

Also, nymphs (origin of Japanese and French names) are nature spirits. I don't really know what to make of this type-specuation-wise.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Interesting, no?
    Given that Nymphia seems to be derived from Nymph, the most likely derivation of Sylveon is Sylph. Both are kinds of nature spirits in Greek mythology, but here's the odd thing: they don't really have an element in common. Sylphs are air spirits, while nymphs have a bunch of different elemental associations: water, land, underworld and so on. You could just about argue that celestial nymphs have a vague air association, but it doesn't make sense that the developers would choose nymphs if they were going for an "air" theme, when the connection is so tenuous.

So while there is a thematic connection between the names Nymphia and Sylvia - both reference female spirits of Greek mythology - it's nothing that would hint at a type in the way that we're used to Eeveelution types being really obvious from the start.

The attacks shown don't do anything to enlighten us, either, since the ones I can recognize are regular Eevee attacks. One is definitely Trump Card, the Swift-like attack may actually be Last Resort, and the one screencapped above is, I suspect, Double-Edge. Nintendo are being really coy about this Pokémon's type.

Ever get the feeling you're being toyed with?

Rawr! Berrenta's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    OK, the English name might be based on the Sylph, here's a description of the Sylph from Wikipedia:
    Sylphs are winged air elements or fairies. They ride the wind, flying high with eagles, Sylphs are female and are almost transparent. They're slender and graceful, with large glistening eyes and huge wings. Sylphs befriend and protect other flying creatures, such as birds, moths and butterflies. Sylphs can move as fast as lightning, but they may also drift along on draughts or puffs of wind.
    You think the English name is proof that it is a flying type? All of the evolved Eeveelutions have names based on their elements, so this one is most likely not an exception.
    I also think it could be a flying type. If its name isn't enough to verify that prediction: It is also the lightest of the Eeveelution family statistically, and fliers are typically lightweight due to their biological characteristics. Sylveon is about as tall as fellow Eeveelution Vaporeon, give or take an inch or so, yet is 12 pounds lighter.

Now that I think about it... Does Sylveon look like Skyla? O_o
    X/3DS FC: 1289 8751 6620 In-game name: Karen
    Claims: Nidoqueen, Mawilite, Hondew Berry, Fiery Dance, Flower Veil
    Claims (other): Luke Triton (Professor Layton), Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)

Skyworld Warriors, a Kid Icarus fan club
    Friend Safari: Poison (Kakuna, Swalot, Whirlipede)

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first thing I thought for the name is Sylvain, a french name with origins in a forest deity.

Pretty much linking it back to European mythology and the supposed France motifs of the games. Although that kind of an stretch...

The etimology of "Sylva" though isn't. It's explicitally forest and nature, coming from the Normans And in european folklore, fairies are exactly that, nature spirits. Just like nymphs.
    So yeah...

... Actually, that's a lie, the first thing I thought was this shoot 'em up so its typing totally is Dragon/Steel now for me.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 14th February 2013 at 03:19 PM.

[/overexposition]

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Aw, it's not named Fluffeon. D: Oh well. Sylveon sounds good too! I really don't think it looks like a flying type though. Maybe a new Fairy type? That's all I can think of now for the meaning of sylph if it's not a normal type.

I was actually considering adding Fairy along with my Light type to that fake dex I was coming up with awhile back...

Blog Entries

sylph (pronounced Sil-f, f can sound like v)
    NOUN:
    A slim, graceful woman or girl.
    In the occult philosophy of Paracelsus, a being that has air as its element.

Slyph is likely where the name comes from. Finally, a Flying-type Eeveelution...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

We also got to see how Gligar and Krokorok will look like, it's really exciting!

Sylveon seems weak. welp, flying is not my type.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kamen_Fanatic On Twitter Add Kamen_Fanatic on Facebook Add Kamen_Fanatic on MySpace
    Visit Kamen_Fanatic's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    We also got to see how Gligar and Krokorok will look like, it's really exciting!

Sylveon seems weak. welp, flying is not my type.
    Uh, that was Krookodile.

Follow OshyHikari On Twitter
    Follow OshyHikari on Tumblr

I actually sorta like this name, but it's Japanese name is a bit cuter.

As for type, I'm speculating it's a Flying-type.
    ミジュマル

PokeCommunity | Ever Grande | Tumblr | Twitter

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I prefer the japanese one, but Sylveon isn't shabby either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast