New York TV station faces fine for Pokémon ad: WPIX to pay $15,000 for breaking adver

Thread: New York TV station faces fine for Pokémon ad: WPIX to pay $15,000 for breaking adver

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New York TV station faces fine for Pokémon ad: WPIX to pay $15,000 for breaking adver

TV station WPIX New York is facing a $15,000 fine from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for breaking rules regarding the limit of advertising during children's programming. Five of the eight violations involved a commercial for Pokémon e-Reader cards.

Read more on Bulbanews
    Last edited by FabuVinny; 23rd July 2007 at 10:07 AM.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My generation grew up on shows that were *blaitent* advertisements--like Captain N. It had a character who was a Game Boy, for crackin' ice! And we turned out just fine.

Is this why all the Pokemon card commercials never actually show any of the monsters?

Mysterious Phantom Thief Happy Mask Man's Avatar

They're still doing that e-reader thing? I thought that the Pokémon e-reader cards died off a while ago, hmm. As for Pokémon card commercials, I do believe that they show the Pokémon themselves. Recently, they've been animated in 3D. Nobody should confuse the Pokémon cards and anime though! They can not be compared at all, no sir.

Oh, and careful with those wiki links. They look a bit odd on the boards.

Goodness; over here in my capitalism-loving country, it is standard fare for Pokémon advertisements to air during Pokémon.

Of course, as I said, my country loves capitalism, and even children are brainwashed into supporting it...

It's myyyy spoon! Stormchaser Raijin's Avatar

That's a little insane, doncha think? Aren't commercials randomly generated? I always thought that.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Mask Man View Post
    They're still doing that e-reader thing?
    I think this case has been going on for a while.
    Oh, and careful with those wiki links. They look a bit odd on the boards.
    That's a bot. I don't know if the problem can be fixed beyond manually editing the post.

Blog Entries

Amazingly the part in this newsbroadcast that surprised me most was that e-readers still existed.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Red
    Aren't commercials randomly generated? I always thought that.[
    That couldn't be farther from the truth.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

bgt

The violations by the network are at least 3+ years old. E-Reader is not still out, its just taken the bakas this long to bring up the allegations.

Commercials randomly generated, lmfao, I seriously don't think companies pay thousands of dollars for advertisement space to have them randomly generated.

It's myyyy spoon! Stormchaser Raijin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    That couldn't be farther from the truth.
    ? They actually plan all of it out? That's even more insane than this violation thing!

Quote Originally Posted by bgt View Post
    Commercials randomly generated, lmfao, I seriously don't think companies pay thousands of dollars for advertisement space to have them randomly generated.
    <<; it made sense to me...

Blog Entries

Pokemon is an advertisement. This is just ridiculous.

Has Yugioh ever gotten one of these fines? I mean...or Beyblade.

? They actually plan all of it out? That's even more insane than this violation thing!
    It's why you don't see tampon commercials during Pokemon...advertisers by advertising time from the station.

According to the FCC, a character in a kids show appearing in a commercial run during the show itself turns the entire program into an advertisement.
    This is preposterous. :\

Pokemon commercials are okay to air before and after episodes of Pokemon but simply not during them? That's really poor logic. Any negative effects the commercial may have on a child's mind aren't going to be significantly lessened if the commercial airs outside of the program's airtime, nor heightened if the commercial airs during the program's airtime. This is just an example of a bureaucratic entity bored with its own existence flexing its muscles for a little bit of fun. As if only the one New York City station violated this rule. Puh-lease.
    Bashir: I can't believe you're not pressing charges.
    Garak: Constable Odo and Captain Sisko expressed a similar concern, but really, Doctor, there was no harm done.
    Bashir: They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle.
    Garak: Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.
    Bashir: Garak, this isn't funny.
    Garak: I'm serious, Doctor! Thanks to your ministrations I'm almost completely healed, but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime.