New GTS restrictions fall short of ideal: Hacked Pokémon can still be offered

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New GTS restrictions fall short of ideal: Hacked Pokémon can still be offered

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New GTS restrictions fall short of ideal: Hacked Pokémon can still be offered

In the wake of a surge of hacked Pokémon on the Global Trade Station (GTS), Nintendo has apparently tweaked the system to restrict the trade of illegal monsters. However, these restrictions fall short of ideal and may indeed give an advantage to hackers using the network.

Read more on Bulbanews

I noticed this as well and it made me pretty mad. I traded for a hacked celebi figuring I could then search GTS for a legit one. I traded a Dialga for one on GTS and it was hacked. I then tried to trade a Palkia for a shiny mew and it said that my Palkia couldn't be traded.

Hackers now have a guarantee they will receive legitimate Pokémon in exchange for their bootlegs.
    Why would a hacker want a "legitimate" Pokémon if they can hack it anyway?

This all has to do a lot with what a "legitimate" Pokémon is. If it means complying with battle rules and metagame, I see no difference between a hacked one and a wild-captured one. If it means complying with the code itself, then yes, there is still no difference for battle, but it is not "legitimate". Maybe they're checking them is a similar way as pika?

Off course getting rid off all the bad-hacked pseudo-Pokemon means GTS will recover *some* of its usability. And, as you say, this measure should reach offers as well. But I still have to say: if a hacked Pokémon is a well-done one, and it complies with the metagame rules, it has the same value as a 110% legit one. You couldn't still say if it was a legit one or not without the help of certain programs, so, why bother? Why would 98% of the players who doesn't even know what IVs are bother?

Edit: Oh, being able to see capture locations and such would help, but some hackers could *still* make that data appear to be normal.

Blog Entries

Why would a hacker want a "legitimate" Pokémon if they can hack it anyway?

Simple. They find enjoyment in giving away fakes and recieving legitamate Pokemon. I'm sure that if you bought something expensive, and you used counterfeit money, you would feel somewhat proud of your self that your little skeem worked.

Personally, I think that Nintendo should create a bann disallowing hacked Pokemon from being given on the GTS, but they should also keep them from being offered, or else the entire system is flawed.

DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most people want that, but it is easier said than done. Hackers are able, as Melkor said, to edit a Pokemons data. This means that they can edit the Pokemons internal code making it, for all intents and purposes, a legitimate pokemon. However, the hacker spent about 2 minutes getting this Pokemon while the reciever may have taken quite some time to get the pokemon requested, thereby making the trade unfair.

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

Think of it in terms of economic inflation. If the American market flooded with fake $100 bills that were completely indistinguishable from official $100 bills, more people would begin using $100 bills, and thus, the value of $100, real or not, would go down.

Blog Entries
    Follow Cferra On Twitter

Is this part of the deal? I'm looking at this shiny trapinch female at level 13 on the GTS. Person is asking for a raikou. Which I have. I go to trade and it isn't allowed. This mean the trapinch was hacked? I got a message saying the trade was not allowed. So, wtf. Why can't I get the shiny trapinch? I have a legit raikou. Is trapinch not legit?

Keep in minf, I have a shiny flygon @ lvl 100. I want to ya know RAISE the thing.

LX

Well I just read on the Smogon forums a couple minutes ago, that Nintendo is banning legendary pokemon trades over the GTS on DP, as well as the random battle feature on Pokemon: Battle Revolution. Keep in mind I don't know that its official, I just remember reading it on there.

Think of it in terms of economic inflation. If the American market flooded with fake $100 bills that were completely indistinguishable from official $100 bills, more people would begin using $100 bills, and thus, the value of $100, real or not, would go down.
    Pokémon are not money. Money is a "perfect fungible" with a value determined by society believing on its value. Inflation happens because too many bills means more people able to demand goods, making producers get their prices up to reach a point of maximum profit.

Pokémon's value is, however, an inner-value, their value is not determined by what society think about them, but for what they are. As Pokemon are not perfect fungible, more legit or quasi-legit offers means more people being able to find the trade they're searching for, as well as being able to find them "cheaper". Once you get rid off all the badly-hacked Pokemon, GTS should work fine.

Blog Entries

According to the article, Nintendo claims that this is a glitch, and judging from what Ledian X has told us about his Raikou, I actually believe them. Then again, they could be trying this out to see how the fandom feels, and is currently blaming it on a glitch incase the response is bad, but I highly doubt it.

The only thing I am worried sbout on the GTS are poorly hacked Pokemon, Pokemon who are properly hacked and completely indestinguishable fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    I'm sure that if you bought something expensive, and you used counterfeit money, you would feel somewhat proud of your self that your little skeem worked.
    *scheme

:]

But in all seriousness, I think with the advancing technology and all, in future generations of Pokémon games all the Pokémon which have been hacked or raised to lvl. 100 through use of hacked rare candies should have like...a frowny face next to their name...or a dunce hat or something. That way, the GTS (or whatever it may be in future gens) can tell right away and deny them.

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    The only thing I am worried sbout on the GTS are poorly hacked Pokemon, Pokemon who are properly hacked and completely indestinguishable fine by me
    ...what?
    Offering shiny and for any shinies - PM if interested!

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
    Pokémon are not money. Money is a "perfect fungible" with a value determined by society believing on its value. Inflation happens because too many bills means more people able to demand goods, making producers get their prices up to reach a point of maximum profit.

Pokémon's value is, however, an inner-value, their value is not determined by what society think about them, but for what they are. As Pokemon are not perfect fungible, more legit or quasi-legit offers means more people being able to find the trade they're searching for, as well as being able to find them "cheaper". Once you get rid off all the badly-hacked Pokemon, GTS should work fine.
    Whaa? The intrinsic value of a good is irrelevant in a free market - only what people are willing (and able) to pay (whether in money or in other goods) matters.
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

It's myyyy spoon! Stormchaser Raijin's Avatar

No. Nononononono. I think if someone wants a certain Pokémon bad enough, they should get it.

I once traded a level 80 Mewtwo to someone for a level 5 Eevee to make that person happy. Who knows, that person may love it. They may hate it. But it'll eventually end up in the hands of someone that will take good care of it.

That karma came back to me in the form of my Shiny Jolteon. I was incredibly lucky to have the Torterra the person on the GTS wanted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Red View Post
    No. Nononononono. I think if someone wants a certain Pokémon bad enough, they should get it.
    If a person wants a Pokémon bad enough, then they should catch their own. Cloning your Mewtwo destroys its value as a legendary.

Anyways, I hope that this "ban" isn't a glitch. It helps protect the value of the legendaries, especially event legendaries.

Gaga's Backup Dancer! shining-Celebi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey2004 View Post
    If a person wants a Pokémon bad enough, then they should catch their own. Cloning your Mewtwo destroys its value as a legendary.

Anyways, I hope that this "ban" isn't a glitch. It helps protect the value of the legendaries, especially event legendaries.
    What "Value"? What''s wrong with everyone having events/legendaries?
    Is it because you won't have bragging rights anymore?
    People who say "oh no it degrades its value!11" come off as selfish and greedy to me.Some people are not fortunate enough to live in big cities where events happen.
    As stated in te Nintendo Power issue "Event pokemon are meant to be passed on from owner to owner.Not horded by the original owner."

Has anyone wondered that if everyone cloned,then everyone could get what they wanted,there would be no "scam"(as interpreted by some) deals, everyone would be happy?
    I know not everyone has Emerald,but whose fault is that?Theirs.So they shouldn't start bitching at us for something that only they can control.If they don't like it then they should shut up and shove it/deal with it,thats life for ya.
    For all your gaming needs including importing videogames from Japan and other countries, try Play-Asia(click below)
    BBlack and White now available for pre-order!

For questions, concerns, suggestions, help etc. on Play-Asia, message me, or leave a comment. ^ ^

gbfg

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast