New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

Fans have managed to exploit the GTS system used in the Generation IV games. Using the specifics of how a Nintendo DS connects to the Internet, they have become able to redirect a signal from the games to their own servers, allowing for players to participate in non-Nintendo-sponsored events.

Read more on Bulbanews

Default Re: New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

Mystery solved!

I got my Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, and event Regigigas from one guy working at the Gamestop where I got my Jirachi, and I have NOT been able to figure out how he did it. Good to know.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

Huh. Weird. I will probably never manage to get this to work, but it is still pretty awesome.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Huh, this is pretty cool I got myself a Pokémon off it.

Blog Entries

Holy shit this actually works..I just got that Jigglypuff :O

It has 31 IVs in HP and Atk..the rest are shitty.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

I had been following the efforts of the person who developed the original technique of sending a Pokemon file on your computer directly to your game, using the GTS as a pathway. I haven't read anything about it corrupting a game yet, and personally I doubt it has the potential to.

This is an interesting extension of that technique. Pretty cool, I have to admit. Interesting that they've decided not to distribute real event Pokemon, but rather their own unique events. No doubt a lot of people will think that's a good decision.

I have to admit, there is a certain appeal to the idea of holding your own personalized event giveaways.

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You guys are just picking up on this? This is at least a month old. :P There's also a way you can do it yourself, using a program called SendPKM. Whip up something in Pokesav or grab an event distribution, and send it your way.
    Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries

I would like someone to try this method with the following IP address: 192.168.2.105. I generated it myself using SendPKM, and it is supposed to give out a TRU Manaphy, which I received myself over two years ago when I was in New York, but have since lost along with my Pearl cartridge.

Using Platinum and and entering the above address as the primary DNS, I'm still able to access the GTS as normal as if it were a normal connection. I'd like to know if this is a result of the similarity between my regular address and the one above.

Hey all, Eco (organizer of the Pokémon Fan Event Center) here. I've got to admit, it's kind of surreal being a "breaking news story"; I didn't really expect the site to get any bigger than my circle of Pokémon-fandom friends.

That said, now that it has gotten bigger, I just thought I should chime in on a couple of the points mentioned in this thread, sort of clarify my own position a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    There's also a way you can do it yourself, using a program called SendPKM. Whip up something in Pokesav or grab an event distribution, and send it your way.
    First off, quoting this for emphasis - because it's 100% true. The tech behind PFEC is nothing new and certainly nothing for which I can take unilateral credit; all I've changed is that multiple people can connect at once (sendpkm only supports one connection since it's designed for private use) and that a 1-download-per-game limit is enforced.

The main purpose - as TM2-Megatron said - is simply the social/collectability aspect of there being publicly available, fan-made Event Pokés, which was something I thought would be neat and that nobody was doing yet. Now, as I mentioned, I didn't think I'd get a lot of publicity, so a lot of the Pokémon in the pipe right now are in-jokes of some kind or another (e.g. OT "AWESOME" Pokés, including Puffy, are characters from a long-running RP). But since a lot of people seem to like this, I'm definitely planning on making future events more fandom-wide in nature. If you have an idea, or a suggestion, or anything really, there's a contact form on the site which I definitely encourage you to use. :)

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    I would like someone to try this method with the following IP address: 192.168.2.105. I generated it myself using SendPKM, and it is supposed to give out a TRU Manaphy, which I received myself over two years ago when I was in New York, but have since lost along with my Pearl cartridge.

Using Platinum and and entering the above address as the primary DNS, I'm still able to access the GTS as normal as if it were a normal connection. I'd like to know if this is a result of the similarity between my regular address and the one above.
    Unfortunately, 192.168.2.105 is a private address - theoretically it'd work inside your home wireless network, but the rest of the internet won't be able to see it. So there's no way for us to try connecting to it (you'd have to do port forwarding or something, and how to do that depends on your router).
    Last edited by Eco-Mono; 3rd April 2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: more stuff to reply to ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eco-Mono View Post
    Edit:Unfortunately, 192.168.2.105 is a private address - theoretically it'd work inside your home wireless network, but the rest of the internet won't be able to see it. So there's no way for us to try connecting to it (you'd have to do port forwarding or something, and how to do that depends on your router).
    I should have known that. But do you have any ideas as to why I can't get it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    I should have known that. But do you have any ideas as to why I can't get it to work?
    If you are connecting via the same connection where you set the DNS to that address, then it's possible your network has done something odd with regard to how it routes DNS packets. Is this a home network, or something like campus wi-fi? Also, are you running a firewall on the computer that's hosting the Pokémon?

Edit: Since this is slightly off-topic of the news article, perhaps we should take this to PMs.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Hey, this rocks! A jigglypuff!

Thanks. Can you please send out a fateful celebi next?
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Dude. DUDE.

Spiritomb.

Named Indy Trap.

Who hates archeologists.

Feel free to distribute that (please distribute that).
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by LucarioAura View Post
    Hey, this rocks! A jigglypuff!

Thanks. Can you please send out a fateful celebi next?
    Glad you like it! I'll keep a Celebi in mind, although it probably won't match the "official" Celebi, and I make no guarantees about "next".
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegman View Post
    Dude. DUDE.

Spiritomb.

Named Indy Trap.

Who hates archeologists.
    Nice. XD

Probably a good time to mention (again) that there's a suggestion box for this stuff though, just so that this thread doesn't overflow with "please do X".

I was able to download the Jigglypuff onto Diamond this morning, but for some reason, I can't download it onto my copies of Pearl or Platinum. Can someone please explain that to me?

(I already did that thing with the digits, just so you know.)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast