Looking Forward: 3:10 to Hoenn: Outlook and Speculation from a Lifelong Die-Hard - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Forward: 3:10 to Hoenn: Outlook and Speculation from a Lifelong Die-Hard

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Looking Forward: 3:10 to Hoenn: Outlook and Speculation from a Lifelong Die-Hard

Blaziken is certainly more complicated than Charizard but that could be attributed to Charizard simplistic design. The European Dragon design has been used so many times in all fantasy franchises that Blaziken's design could seem more complicated

Default Re: Looking Forward: 3:10 to Hoenn: Outlook and Speculation from a Lifelong Die-Hard

I rather liked Hoenn, and look forward to Isshu with Great Expections. I think games should move forward, so new features and more complex designs should be welcomed. However, it isn't right to turn a cold shoulder to the past, such as making the Johto starters, Lugia, and Ho-oh difficult to get until HGSS by yourself. I'm gonna miss some of the old Pokemon in Isshu though (Pikachu, Eevee).

Hoenn was my favorite generation too. Ruby and Sapphire were the first games I was really old enough to "understand" what the whole point of the games was, so my fond memories of pokemon were from there! I plan to get a Sapphire remake if there is one!

Why does the first half of this article sound like it's speaking for the masses and trying to paint a horrible picture?

"Remember those dark times of Ruby and Sapphire". I.... really don't actually. I find it odd to consider any game in the series to be unenjoyable.

I remember, at twelve years old, being furious I couldn’t transfer my mighty Missingno-empowered monsters I’d had with me since Blue.
    Are you still holding that grudge?

Let's settle this once and for all.

In order to transfer from the Gameboy or Gameboy color, you would've needed a special transfer device or piece of equipment. Not only did they have new 'tech' in the GBA, but even little things like the link cable slot were different.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Backward compatibility for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games is provided by an 4/8 MHz Z80 coprocessor (which Game Boy Advance software can use the audio tone generators to supplement the primary sound system)...
    Basically, the hassle wouldn't have been worth it (nor the money). Instead they put their time, energy, and resources into making a better game and other cooler things, like the Wireless Adapter.

The restructuring of the game data itself was a natural process of dealing with a new engine, new hardware, new everything (from a design standpoint). The old system was archaic and out of date. I'm sure you can find the appropriate info by scouring Google and Wikipedia, but the Pokemon were set with a limit on the number in the first two generations. The Pokemon data itself needed a good scrubbing. A Rattata you caught in Gold/Silver/Crystal is nothing like one you could catch in FireRed/LeafGreen.

So they basically set out to give the stats, moves, abilities (new), natures (new), breeding mechanics, experience gains, EVs, IVs, and everything else a standard by which to operate. Even now, Gen IV's battling operates based on those implementations (even with the addition of the Phys/Special split), and it looks like Gen V will be doing the same barring some weird change we haven't seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofPH View Post
    Again, I wasn't criticizing Gen III for the designs. I was pointing out the difference in style, and how that had been an aspect of criticism.
    To this day, newer generations are still the aspect of criticism. I was talking to another poster on a different forum just the other day, practically the same age as me, and you know what he was saying? That the designs of Generation V Pokemon were uncreative and unoriginal -- that they were leftovers from a previous gen. He could only hope that they'd be half as good as the Generation IV Pokemon designs eventually! Isn't that something?? It seems no matter what, designs will be lambasted, whether new or different. Saying Gen III is a contention for criticism is saying ALL the gens are a contention for criticism.

For instance:

All these 1st generation Pokemon share striking similarities in their creation. Bipedal, large feet and thighs with pronged toes, and 3-finger largehands. They basically reused the same structure with different parts. The same goes for the starters as well. Now, it's a clear indication of the style used by Sugimori and Tajiri back in the old days, but what if they came out today? People would criticize them for having so many similarities. In other words, stupid reasons, just like the equally as stupid reasons we get nowadays harping on newer generations.

But you know, Pat, what gets me isn't the whole problem people have with designs or the technology... It's that this subject matter keeps getting brought up again and again. When is it going to be enough? Couldn't this have been more an article of "What Generation V is doing right" or "...is doing what we like" instead of "What Generation III did wrong"?
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Blog Entries
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy On Twitter
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Tumblr Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post

But you know, Pat, what gets me isn't the whole problem people have with designs or the technology... It's that this subject matter keeps getting brought up again and again. When is it going to be enough? Couldn't this have been more an article of "What Generation V is doing right" or "...is doing what we like" instead of "What Generation III did wrong"?
    Agreed. Gen 3, to this day, remains my favorite generation. I loved the starters, the region, the "villians", the secret bases (way better than the ones in DPPt), I could go on and on. I have a great aunt who is still pissed that the Dodgers left Brooklyn (52 years ago), and Pat reminds me of her. Let it go, man.
    *this space for rent*

antidope Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Alongside what V Faction said, I'd like to point out how you cite Generation 3's lower sales in comparison to the past generations...

Sales slumped as the franchise’s hay day died out
    But how can you cite this as a fault of Generation 3? The five mainstream Pokemon games were the top five best-selling GameBoy Advance games of all time. This was a time where the popularity of portable gaming decreased as a whole, and Nintendo faced much stronger competition from Microsoft and Sony, especially the PlayStation 2, which still remains the best-selling console of all time.
    And I don’t care if I lose
    Because my heroes did too
    They shouted court should be adjourned
    Because the jury are fools
    And the judge can’t decipher his left from his right
    Or his right from his wrong

I'm going to be honest here, I couldn't get past the first 2 paragraphs of the actual article due to all the weasel wording.

Gen II was nowhere near as perfect as people make it out to be. How on earth can people even stand playing that set of games when leveling a monster is such a goddamn chore? This doesn't occur with any of the other games.

This is even evident in the remakes, Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I've managed to playthrough Soul Silver, but I fear that I'll never ever get around to finish Heart Gold. Although it might be faitauge from playing the Gen IV games.

Also, everyone forgets just how unbelievably buggy the gameboy/gameboy color games were. Everyone thinks it's cool that they were, but the developers would obviously see it as a problem if people only play the game in a way that isn't ment to be played (being utterly broken due to the ton of bugs present). Not being compatable with them rids the problem entirely.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Well, yeah, the franchise gone dropped like a rock since this Generation 3 started, lack of connectivity, and our aim to "catch 'em all" popped like a bubble.
    I liked RSE too, beating the game was only our aim, but i felt sorry for all the fans who wanted to catch them all but they didn't have the thing to do it, due to lack of connectivity.

This year, I just started Gen IV, it's a nice start. And I started to dream out to Catch 'em all to, but i was too late, because i missed all mistery gifts.

Yeah, I have ruby and firered english version, dreaming to complete the Pokédex, but see, the Language Lock Ruined it, so if the Game Freak hears me, please take out lacks of connectivity and the Language Lock, it's just ruining the franchise,..

For me, the complexity of the designs for Gen V is most apparent in Rehiram and Zekrom. I'm not a fan of Gen V yet, the features all sound cool, but I don't like the Pokemon. I also didn't like Gen III because I just played through Hoenn so much that I got sick of it. Same thing happened with Super Smash Bros. Melee. It's true that the designs were I think the starting point of the complexity, but some of my favorite designs came from Hoenn. A brontosaurs with wings made out of leaves? Awesome.

It’s a well known fact the days of Ruby and Sapphire were a dark time for the franchise. Sales slumped as the franchise’s hay day died out, many fans left the franchise for one reason or another, and to this day, it still remains the most controversial era to this day on message boards. Seriously, start a topic on a message board about it and watch the blood pour.
    FULL STOP.

Are you trying to say ever time someone mentions that they like Gen. III a massive flame war will ensue?

Well, It seem like just in this thread people are mentioning that Hoenn was there favorite generation and there's no flames spitting out.

Hoenn happens to be my favorite generation, I actually liked the more complex character designs and such. Gen. III was the generation of Pokemon that really brought me into the series. Nothing more after Ruby and Sapphire brought a smile to my seven year old face.

So yes, I freely admit that Gen III. would be the generation that I'll have the fondest memories about. I wasn't around when Gen. III came out and I can be completely wrong when I say that there were never flamewars over this subject, but to go and say that it still brings flamewars, even after the game came out eight years ago is wrong IMHO.

Y'know what? I haven't been on this forum as often as I used to anymore to notice any flamewars over this subject. So I may be completely wrong. /hidesunderarock

Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse
    This year, I just started Gen IV, it's a nice start. And I started to dream out to Catch 'em all to, but i was too late, because i missed all mistery gifts.

Yeah, I have ruby and firered english version, dreaming to complete the Pokédex, but see, the Language Lock Ruined it, so if the Game Freak hears me, please take out lacks of connectivity and the Language Lock, it's just ruining the franchise,..
    Have you been under a rock since 2003? the Language Lock has been eliminated since the Gen III games. The Japanese and English GBA games are compatable with one another. The Gen IV games take this a step further and actually encourage you to trade with other regions to get certain bonuses (Pokédex entries in that language, the ability to get shinies easier by breeding Pokémon from different language carts...)

Also, starting since Gen III, they dropped the "Gotta Catch'em All" slogan since it's now very very difficult to do so on your own. It's possible if you know people you can trade with over Wifi though.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyozoo View Post
    Are you trying to say ever time someone mentions that they like Gen. III a massive flame war will ensue?
    Perhaps he misspoke and meant massive debates.

Which is very true.

But that's the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by PDL
    Have you been under a rock since 2003?
    I'm pretty sure that person has.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Follow Marik On Twitter Add Marik on Facebook
    Visit Marik's Youtube Channel

I sure hope Isshu doesn't turn out like Hoenn did...

Quote Originally Posted by Articuno26 View Post
    I sure hope Isshu doesn't turn out like Hoenn did...
    Hoenn was interesting, I thought. If Isshu is like Hoenn, except with those minor complains fixed? That's not so bad... might even be really good.

Follow Marik On Twitter Add Marik on Facebook
    Visit Marik's Youtube Channel

Well, they've already done better on Pokemon designs... there isn't a whole shitload of water... and they're going to have backwards compatibility... that's three problems fixed. I don't think it'll be very similar.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast