iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license - Page 11

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Blog Entries

Default Re: iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    lol took 'em long enough
    *rolls eyes* Better late than never, I suppose...?

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic
    The last comment there by Kevin is amusing...because it's entirely true. Studio Bebop does indeed appear to be a single teenager, recently graduated from high school, and his other aps also appear to have done similar things with other sites.
    Ninja'd.

Wow. Even as a senior in high school, this is utterly pathetic by my standards. He is apparently uneducated in the immorality of thievery.
    Last edited by Steven; 15th October 2009 at 10:05 PM.
    My name is Steven.
    I'm interested in rare stones,
    so I travel here and there.

S. Stone

Super Special Awesome! AbbyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    The last comment there by Kevin is amusing...because it's entirely true. Studio Bebop does indeed appear to be a single teenager, recently graduated from high school, and his other aps also appear to have done similar things with other sites.

*facepalm*

Woooooooow. Dude's got almost an entire fandom against him, and he just graduated from high school? He hasn't got a chance. (I hope.)

But yeah. I haven't been seeing any of those comments at all. Would Apple be deleting them or Bebop?
    ~AbbyNormal

Favorite Smiley: !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
    *facepalm*

Woooooooow. Dude's got almost an entire fandom against him, and he just graduated from high school? He hasn't got a chance. (I hope.)

But yeah. I haven't been seeing any of those comments at all. Would Apple be deleting them or Bebop?
    Whoever has the moderator privileges on the iTunes App store thingy. And I think the creator of the App can send a complaint against the comments to be removed or some pussy shit.

baw awaiting moderation ftl
    Last edited by Sublime; 15th October 2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Greetings guys.

I thought I'd just sign up and voice my 2 cents on this thing. I recently got back into Pokemon after one of my friends managed to get me an import copy of HeartGold.

I actually found out about Bulbapedia from this app, just because I was looking for a Pokedex app for my iPhone and this is the one came up. So on that note, you can probably take a little comfort in the fact that this app is helping publicize Bulbapedia a little more.

But as is pretty well noted here, the app itself is pretty darn bad... it crashes often, and since it's loading the content directly from the Bulbapedia servers (which I didn't really attribute as hotlinking until I read it here), it's not very much different to loading the page directly in Safari.

When I bought it, I was somewhat skeptical of the fact it was an app charging for access to a free website, but my assumption was that if it was on the Apple App Store, then Apple certainly must have legally cleared it.

In any case, I've been toying with developing iPhone apps, and I was considering building my own version of a Bulbapedia-based Pokedex that included the Japanese names of the Pokemon and items (Would make playing HeartGold that much easier right now hehe), but at the same time, consolidating all of the information into a database that was stored locally on the phone. I was also thinking if it would be legally okay to charge it (I was thinking $1.51 - The number of Pokemon in Gen 1 XD), but duly noted, I'm not thinking about that anymore.

Either way, now that I know that this app is a violation of the Bulbapedia content license, I'm somewhat regretful for actually buying it now.

I'm very interested to see how this will pan out.

-TiM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -=TiM=- View Post
    I actually found out about Bulbapedia from this app, just because I was looking for a Pokedex app for my iPhone and this is the one came up. So on that note, you can probably take a little comfort in the fact that this app is helping publicize Bulbapedia a little more.
    I suppose one could say this is a good thing, but it is never good to breech the ownership of someone's without the correct and absolute permission from the owner(s).

Also, about your wanting to create a Bulbapedia-based iPhone application, were you planning on collaborating with Bulbapedia or just going to go wing it like this situation grew from? You didn't mention whether you were planning on a collaboration, so I'm left understandably puzzled, unfortunately.
    :/
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

If anyone has actually bought this ap, we'd greatly appreciate it if you could take screenshots or videos of the application in action. It shouldn't work right now, after changes we made to our pages, but if it is we need to know ASAP, so we can experiment and try to break it again.

It should also be noted that Bulbapedia is greatly interested in developing a free iPhone application for our users. How we would go about doing that is still a matter for discussion.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Blog Entries

Since iTunes is run by an e-mail registry for its users, it could be possible to allow the public to pay for the app, while allowing those that have e-mails registered with Bulbapedia to enter their e-mails into iTunes so as to recieve the free discount on the app.

Another option would be to distribute Apple-legal vouchers with codes to all users on Bulbapedia. You would enter these codes into a key on the page of the application and the discount will be accounted for. The allowing for this code to only be allowed to be entered once per iTunes account would secure that no code could be entered more than once, provided that each code has a uniqueness factor, to prevent online distribution, etc. (Each code could only entered once in general.)
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

I was thinking that somebody could maybe find out if he has a Bulbagarden account. It might be hard to do, but I could maybe do it. It wouldn't do much, but at least we could restrict access to anything that he might want to change, even though the page protections would keep him from doing that right now.

As for the comments on iTunes being removed, like with what I posted earlier, the comments have a report button, just like any other site that allows posting of any kind. Except for maybe here.
    But anybody, the creator, Apple, somebody who actually uses the App and is on the creator's side, can report and get comments removed.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    I was thinking that somebody could maybe find out if he has a Bulbagarden account. It might be hard to do, but I could maybe do it.
    It would actually be very easy to do that. If they had at least his e-mail. A SuperMod or an Admin could find it in less then a minute. vB Admin control panel really is something
    Competitive Player

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

And Billy Mays will stop him from viewing the source.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by .ιиsσмиιαc. View Post
    It would actually be very easy to do that. If they had at least his e-mail. A SuperMod or an Admin could find it in less then a minute. vB Admin control panel really is something
    You do realize that somebody can have more than one e-mail, right?

And I was thinking of more along the lines of pretending to be a fan, contacting him on Facebook, and then slowly asking questions about how he got the idea, how he found Bulbapedia (pretending you'd never heard about it), and stuff like that. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I probably shouldn't. It might get some trouble started.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    You do realize that somebody can have more than one e-mail, right?

And I was thinking of more along the lines of pretending to be a fan, contacting him on Facebook, and then slowly asking questions about how he got the idea, how he found Bulbapedia (pretending you'd never heard about it), and stuff like that. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I probably shouldn't. It might get some trouble started.
    .....I know I was just saying that if they knew his e-mail address and he used it for this site they would find him easily. That's all I was saying.
    Competitive Player

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

The guy we are fighting is a 19 year old loser? Geez, no wonder. This guy has no experience in the world in any way, shape, or forme.

I like the idea of Bulbapedia creating its own app since I've been thinking of getting an iPhone.

I hope that this gets sorted soon. At the moment it looks like we're winning. I mean, the public has already heard its illegal, the app crashes, the official review has sided with us, and this app is at the mercy of Bulbapedia, which we control.

To be honest, I'm surprised that this has lasted so long.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised that this has lasted so long.
    I'm not. The most annoying things in life are those that are unrighteously persistant. Things that stay strong but fate really hasn't had it in mind for them to, are what I'm referring to. He, would be one of those things, along with many Battle Frontier Pokemon.
    My name is Steven.

S. Stone

Ice Type Trainer

Just a slightly off-topic question, does this work with the Ipod touch too? Iphone is really crap in most parts of Australia.

On topic, does the app access a server that leeches the site? If so, is it possible to block that IP? Or is does the iPhone access the site directly?

EDIT: $2.50 here, we get even more ripped off than America.
    Last edited by lthiele; 15th October 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast