GTS sabotaged by greed: Players make unreasonable, impossible requests

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTS sabotaged by greed: Players make unreasonable, impossible requests

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default GTS sabotaged by greed: Players make unreasonable, impossible requests

The Global Trade Station (GTS), the innovative feature of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl that allows players to connect to Nintendo's Wi-Fi network and request and submit Pokémon for trade, is exciting and useful at first glance. However, once one delves deeper, one finds the novel premise has been ruined by a myriad of players making unreasonable and often impossible requests. Nintendo could be doing more to curb such greed.

Read more on Bulbanews

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Considering plenty of people playing Pokemon are children, its not surprising people just ask for legendaries.

You just have to keep searching and find the reasonable requests like I do, I've made about 15-20 successful trades for rare Pokemon I needed.

I pretty much have yet to see a reasonable trade on the GTS. They're usually all legendaries or high-level Pokemon for very common low-level Pokemon, even at impossible-to-get levels.

Blog Entries

It's all about when you look, what you're looking for, and how specific you get. Often you can find better deals by being specific in searching. Just go through the level sets by various gender. Since you only get a limited number of trade options with each search, it allows you to view the maximum number.

Often, you'll have better luck offering something than looking. Had no problem in getting the Pearl version exclusives by offering their Diamond counterparts. Heck, even managed to get the two starters I didn't start with (Turtwig and Chimchar) by offering a Cranidos for each. And while there ARE a number of unfair trades, you'll occasionally find some surprising finds. Only cost me a Dratini to get a Heracross holding a Master Ball.

Make a reasonable request, you'll most likely have success. Ignore the unreasonable ones. It's as simple as that.

Blog Entries

It's about time. At first, I was calling it the Global Internet Trade Station (GITS). I mean, Lv. 100 Palkia- for a PIKACHU?

Though you can't go wrong with just leaving something up for your trade and coming back later. Works 90% of the time for me (got me a Glameow from Fukuoka, Japan and a Chimchar from Washington) But just getting on expecting an instant trade is more or less a crapshoot.
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got a Palkia for putting up a Lvl 1 Dratini today. Crazy.

Blog Entries

I'm trading a level 9 Cherubi for a Level 100 Jirachi

Crazy, but it works. =P

The Sinnoh Battle Frontier is among them, and an old foe is back for revenge. With Rain's new companions, as well as some old friends by his side, can he win this challenge and stop Shinsei Muto before it's too late?
    Updated Tuesdays and Fridays
    Don't forget the other two. LoS is long, so be sure to have plenty of free time. =)
    Legends of Sinnoh|Shadow Apocalypse

Real California Cheese. Birdyspot's Avatar

I could care less if some kid wants a Lv100 Palkia for their offered Bidoof. Nintendo's made every Pokemon of equal value by only offering 1-for-1 trades. So that's legitimate as far as I'm concerned, however obnoxious it may be for those searching for "reasonable" trades, and that's the offerer's problem if nobody wants to trade with them. The problem for me is when I'm trying to find a female Chimchar and the only one on offer that DOESN'T want a Palkia, wants a Lv9 and under TORTERRA (which, of course, doesn't evolve until Lv32), EVERY damn time I search. THAT should be an illegal request; the first legal option if you're requesting a Torterra should be "Lv30 and up." It's those offers--impossible without a cheating device--which are cluttering up the GTS and doing nobody any good.

I've been trading up a storm on the GTS--not by searching though, but by putting reasonable trades on offer (Munchlaxes for the two starters I don't have, etc.). It's almost addicting...^_^

I'm with Birdyspot. I don't mind the unreasonable/obnoxious trades so much. If they want to try getting a L100 Dialga for a L1 Rattata then it's their problem if no one trades with them. I just ignore those. But the "impossible without a cheating device" trades drive me crazy. No one is going to have a Tyranitar under level 9 unless they've cheated to get it and, as mentioned, it's just cluttering things up and wastes my time and it wastes a spot when the search results pop up that could otherwise be filled with a request that I might actually be able to do.

That aside, I do enjoy trading on the GTS. It's helped me get some pokemon that I've needed and it's usually easier to just pop on and search real quick than having to wait for a friend/someone I trust to have the time to trade.

Lex

I have, of course, had the same problem. Usually I end up digging something reasonable out of my collection and offer it up myself. Seems to work reasonably well, but having better filtering capabilities would be nice. Maybe some way to search GTS from a website with advanced search capabilities, take some sort of "offer ID" off the site and use it to get at a specific offer in-game.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

I got a level 42 female Spiritomb holding the Helix Fossil for a lv 1 Piplup. ^^; The GTS is crazy, but at the same time it can be fun.

Blog Entries

Yeah, a lot of the requests on the GTS are laughable, I think I've only done one trade while I was actually searching for something (*Found a female Charmander which I needed and the person only wanted a female Bulbasaur in return, nice sane trade :3*) the rest of the time, if I wanted anything, I just offered Pokémon of around equal value to what I wanted and pretty much always got someone who took me up on my offer. It's easier to do trades that way than actually searching for I want. Sorry kids, I don't have any hacked LV 100 Palkias for you.

But yeah, the crazy stuff is ignorable, does make searching for what you want hard, but offering pokémon of your own for something sane is the easy way to go on there it seems.

Route 1 - Pokémon Screenshot Project!
    Episode screenshots for all to enjoy~

All the trades I've found have been fair, Purugly for Skuntank, Burmy for Cherubi, Wormanda for Cranidos...

I want some unfair ones...titled in my favor!

I hope that at one point in thier lives, those children will learn that they can't get a lvl100 Dialga for a lvl1 Piplup.

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

My first GTS trades all involved level 40 Glameow and they were all accepted. I got Starters, a Female Combee, a Munchlax, and some other things with Glameow.

Now, I recently caught 10 Farfetch'd looking for an Adamant one for a Cool Contest. So I found one but I had 9 left over...so I put them on the GTS...and breezed through them in about a day. I got:

Mamoswine
    Female Riolu
    Rotom
    Porygon-Z
    Remoraid
    Carnivine
    Female Combee
    Scyther
    Stunky

All for nothing but Farfetch'd. I even got a Dialga for a Turtwig a few days ago.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast