Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation

Default Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation

Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation VI Global Link

The Pokémon Global Link for Generation V games will be shutting down on Jan. 14, 2014. Services will be phased out starting after the October 2013 maintenance. It will be replaced by a Pokémon Global Link for Pokémon X and Y.

Read more on Bulbanews

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Default Re: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Genera

I hope the X & Y Global Link is better.

I am tired of the 1 hour time limits, the forced tutorial everytime I connect, etc.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

I eat eggs in users' sigs rafaelluik's Avatar

Default Re: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Genera

Nooo... There goes the berry system of BW! What a PITA.

In the other hand I won't be tempted to wait the terribly long time it takes to tuck in anymore. I'm sad to know Dream World will exist in Gen VI, it's very boring and because of the dependence to get some things... :(

Quote Originally Posted by rafaelluik View Post
    Nooo... There goes the berry system of BW! What a PITA.

In the other hand I won't be tempted to wait the terribly long time it takes to tuck in anymore. I'm sad to know Dream World will exist in Gen VI, it's very boring and because of the dependence to get some things... :(
    They didn't say they'd be a DW, just global link right? We'll see anyway

I knew this day would come eventually, now to choose what C-gear skin to be permanently stuck with...

They're a few things exclusive to the DW in Gen5 people should be aware of. These are the Micle/Custap/Jabocca/Rowap berries (though technically Custap is also available from an event), as well as DWfs and exclusive moves for Pokémon - someone should write a list.

ETA: I've started a list, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah_pCdhtcZFKdFcwcGdjelp5bC1NVURqY2pGbXNrYkE#gid=0, PM me if you wanna help with it.
    Last edited by 1quacka1; 1st July 2013 at 06:09 AM.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    I am tired of the 1 hour time limits, the forced tutorial everytime I connect, etc.
    The tutorial is cookie-based. If you have done the tutorial in that browser on that computer before, then you won't have to do it again. If you're being forced to repeatedly do it, it means you don't have cookies enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quacka1 View Post
    The Dream World is part of the Global Link. It's going too.

They're a few things exclusive to the DW in Gen5 people should be aware of. These are the Micle/Custap/Jabocca/Rowap berries (though technically Custap is also available from an event), as well as DWfs and exclusive moves for Pokémon - someone should write a list.

ETA: I've started a list, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah_pCdhtcZFKdFcwcGdjelp5bC1NVURqY2pGbXNrYkE#gid=0, PM me if you wanna help with it.
    Ah, I hadn't realized there were exclusive medals... I don't think I have enough days left to get the 100 Pokemon met though.

Also, I think that page would be better suited to a Bulbapedia userpage (I was going to make one there). First I was going to make a list for myself though.

Yeah...I was fearing this heavily. It wouldn't be much of a problem if the Generation V games didn't rely on the Dream World so much. Any newcomer to the Generation V games (of course there still will be despite the DS suffering from obsolescence) will be paying for a game that no longer even has all its features. If X and Y have all these Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities available again, it won't be as bad, but the Ranked Mode for Random Matchup, and the customization will still be missed.
    I wrap my long, white tail around my neck to show off. I also repel dust and static electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    Also, I think that page would be better suited to a Bulbapedia userpage (I was going to make one there). First I was going to make a list for myself though.
    Yeah that would be better, I dunno how to make fancy Bulbapedia tables though....

162 days between now and December 10th, even with maintenance that should be enough time if you were really committed to going on most days. The 20hour wait means that you won't lose days like before when the 24hr requirement pushed your DW window by an hour everday.

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

So basically, we'll be locked into whatever skin settings we have from January? Bah.

I had a feeling they were keeping the Global Link though. Seemed like such an expensive endeavour for a 3 year run.

And here lies the flaw in forcing our berries to be grown online.

Is it so hard to let us keep playing with BW's Global Link? I'd rather they not even create a new one for XY given we know the inevitable will happen.

All I know is that berries better not be reliant on this crap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quacka1 View Post
    The Dream World is part of the Global Link. It's going too.
    I was replying to the quote "I'm sad to know Dream World will exist in Gen VI, it's very boring and because of the dependence to get some things... :("

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post

Is it so hard to let us keep playing with BW's Global Link? I'd rather they not even create a new one for XY given we know the inevitable will happen.

I hope that, with Gen V being taken offline, they at least let us one of your Dream Isles with XY. I mean, all those berries spent on making our homes look pretty with dolls and stuff...gone.

Heck, all those different C-Gear skins and stuff...gone. I wish there was at least an offline place where they could be changed in-game.

Blog Entries

I'd love if they brought back the Berry Pots in X & Y, it was just much easier and convenient to keep track of your berries.

from a programming standpoint it should not be hard at all to integrate VI into the current GL. All it is is one big database with some features and games based on it, so that's just some more databases and some restrictions.
    If there however is no dreamworld in X&Y it would be ugly from a design perspective: if X&Y comes with its own online mechanic ur gonna have 2 of them and if the next game comes with another... etc. things just get messy and confusing u could make different sites for different games but then u are separating ur user-base.
    But what most likely plays the biggest role in this is the corporate side of it, they want u to buy the new game and more importantly the new system it runs on and this is one of the ways to push people towards that. I think at most u will see some stuff carry over but even that i think is highly unlikely.
    Last edited by qixz; 1st July 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Welp, time to invest in an Action Replay so I have a way to get berries after this. :P

Be a shame not to be able to get certain berries and DWF on Gen V anymore but things have to move on. Plus I'll keep a bunch on Gen 5 as backups anyway.

Having been playing Animal Crossing and various other 3ds games I can see how a 3ds pokemon game would not really need a pc based Global Link. They could easily tie into actual seasons, have wifi shops in game with promotional items. Even dlc content areas for event pokemon, play coin stuff and visiting other peoples games in a way thats better than just a wifi trade area room and entree link games.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast