First Dragon type cards officially revealed: Salamence, Rayquaza, Haxorus featured

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First Dragon type cards officially revealed: Salamence, Rayquaza, Haxorus featured

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default First Dragon type cards officially revealed: Salamence, Rayquaza, Haxorus featured

First Dragon type cards officially revealed: Salamence, Rayquaza, Haxorus featured

The official Japanese Trading Card Game sites have revealed the first Dragon type Pokémon cards. Two of the three cards, Salamence and Rayquaza, will be released in the Dragon Selection sub-set releasing Jan 27. An additional Haxorus promotional card will be releasing on the 14th in a CoroCoro guide book. Dragon Selection will have 20 cards.

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Dragon type cards officially revealed: Salamence, Rayquaza, Haxorus feature

Because they already screwed over today's standard video game metagame, dragons decided it would now be fun to fuck over the TCG metagame.

Calling it now, these dragon cards get banned within 6 months.
    Gligar13 likes this.

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

★ Pokémon Proffesor ☆
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First Dragon type cards officially revealed: Salamence, Rayquaza, Haxorus feature

Awesome!! I'll be having psychic and dragon now..

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Bond View Post
    Because they already screwed over today's standard video game metagame, dragons decided it would now be fun to fuck over the TCG metagame.

And what's wrong with dragon??

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I didn't think the TCG will add a new type. I mean, I seen Yugioh added Psychic-types, but Pokemon is new with this. It's too bad that they are weak to their kin, though I can guess Rayquaza can be useful to deal with opposing dragons.

I don't understand what you mean either. Their attacks look like they require at least two types of Energy cards, which is not as flexible as one.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

I don't follow the TCG (haven't since I was 11) but is there a Dragon energy to accompy these? I just noticed that none of their attacks require a Dragon energy, and it just seems odd to me.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

User who Registered RedSapphire's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow RedSapphire On Twitter
    Visit RedSapphire's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzle. View Post
    I don't follow the TCG (haven't since I was 11) but is there a Dragon energy to accompy these? I just noticed that none of their attacks require a Dragon energy, and it just seems odd to me.
    There is no Dragon Energy yet, because the cards in this set (at least the set with Salamence and Rayquaza) are only Pokemon cards.

This...doesn't make much sense. The only individual cards that have ever been banned were Slowbro (because of a purposeful mistranslation) and Sneasel (which is too weak in today's metagame to warrant a current ban when it was reprinted). These cards seem powerful, but not at all broken enough to warrant a ban, or even be used in a variety of decks. Like winstein said, the fact that their attacks require a variety of energies already balance them out.

Blog Entries

My call on those dragons being banned was because in today's competitive battling video game metagame dragons are as fucking broken as Scizor was when he got Bullet Punch. I'm aware that card games on tricycles may be different, but it seems I should mark when I'm using sarcasm more often.

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    I didn't think the TCG will add a new type. I mean, I seen Yugioh added Psychic-types, but Pokemon is new with this.
    They have done this before: Dark and Metal elemental types weren't in the original base set. They were introduced in the Neo series of expansions because the second generation of Pokemon introduced Dark and Steel types.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSapphire View Post
    There is no Dragon Energy yet, because the cards in this set (at least the set with Salamence and Rayquaza) are only Pokemon cards.
    I thought that these cards would be in the official set. Are they only promotional? If so, it makes sense now.

I still feel like Rayquaza's Dragon Pulse should require at least one Dragon energy. I mean, come on! It's got the word "DRAGON" in the freakin' name!

★ Pokémon Proffesor ☆
    Blog Entries

I don't see how dragon sucks as bad as everyone says? I've found it very powerful. Right now I'm gonna try to evolve Deino because his last evolution is outstanding! Plus it looks awesome XD
    jokool and Dr.J like this.

Blog Entries

I didn't think the TCG will add a new type. I mean, I seen Yugioh added Psychic-types, but Pokemon is new with this. It's too bad that they are weak to their kin, though I can guess Rayquaza can be useful to deal with opposing dragons.
    Even though Psychics in Yu-Gi-Oh act more like an Archetype than a card type (all similar effects that manipulate LP, and they support each other very closely). Pokémon, from my knowledge, doesn't run archetypes like that. In fact, one-type decks are bound to lose.

I wonder if Dragon will even have a basic energy type (Dark and Steel took years to get one, I know, but still...) or if, once they become abundant, they'll be the infinity +1 like in the games, only weak to each other.

Probably not. At least from the looks of these three cards, they're trying to keep them separate. It's hard to run a deck with five energy types (and no doubt more). So they might be more comparable to the EX or Prime Pokémon (high-power subgroups that are harder to play with).
    A pure-Dragon deck wouldn't work due to thinning out energy for variety, but throwing Haxorus in a Bisharp/Krookodile deck (if those exist) wouldn't be very hard at all, especially since previous Haxorus were colorless. Or maybe there's something about this I'm missing...

Blog Entries

i agree, the only thing that could be considered remotely broken is Salamence's Arrogant Wing ability. But that's just a nasty effect that could really hurt the opponent.

Reject the status quo! Radio Rebel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jokool View Post
    I thought that these cards would be in the official set. Are they only promotional? If so, it makes sense now.
    These cards are part of the Dragon Selection mini-set that only includes Pokémon cards (no Trainers or Energies). The Dragon Energy card will be released in full-length Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast set.

Quote Originally Posted by Garkago
    I wonder if Dragon will even have a basic energy type (Dark and Steel took years to get one, I know, but still...)
    Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast is confirmed to include a Special Energy card; it will probably be a few years before we see a basic version.
    Name: Rebel ♦ Friend Code: 2208-6003-1380 ♦ Friend Safari: Beautifly, Paras, Vivillon
    Badges: 8 ♦ Pokédex: 712 Seen / 712 Obtained ♦ Medals: 109

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Centurion View Post
    These cards are part of the Dragon Selection mini-set that only includes Pokémon cards (no Trainers or Energies). The Dragon Energy card will be released in full-length Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast set.

Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast is confirmed to include a Special Energy card; it will probably be a few years before we see a basic version.
    Okay. Thanks for explaining.

And, oh GOD! Not that again! Special energy cards drive me nutz!

User who Registered RedSapphire's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow RedSapphire On Twitter
    Visit RedSapphire's Youtube Channel

The Yugioh player in me has to step in here for a moment...Psychic type (and all types but Divine Beast) were in Yugioh from the beginning. The only thing Yugioh has been adding are separate monster cards (Synchro, Xyz).

Dragons being weak to themselves makes sense though, because they're weak to themselves in-game too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokool View Post

And, oh GOD! Not that again! Special energy cards drive me nutz!
    But Special Energies can add a lot of power to a card. Darkness types with Special Darkness energy get stronger, Metal types with Special Metal energy get more defense...and I don't even need to explain Double Colorless Energy's amazingness. I'm personally looking forward to any potential Special Dragon Energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by antithesicSolipse View Post
    My call on those dragons being banned was because in today's competitive battling video game metagame dragons are as fucking broken as Scizor was when he got Bullet Punch. I'm aware that card games on tricycles may be different, but it seems I should mark when I'm using sarcasm more often.
    Yes, the TCG metagame is vastly different from the competitive video game scene.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSapphire View Post
    The Yugioh player in me has to step in here for a moment...Psychic type (and all types but Divine Beast) were in Yugioh from the beginning. The only thing Yugioh has been adding are separate monster cards (Synchro, Xyz).
    Nope. You must be a newer Yugioh player. Just in case you weren't around, Psychic-types were added during the Yugioh 5D's period. This is why the first Psychic cards have a Tuner (Psychic Commander) and a Synchro (Magical Android), both new monster types during 5D's. Before that, there wasn't any Psychic-types. There's a reason that Jinzo, who could make a Psychic-type because it looks like the other Psychic-types in Yugioh, was Machine-type. This monster was in the original Yugioh (used by Espa Roba, a character claiming to be a Psychic): way before Yugioh 5D's aired. If Psychic was there at the beginning, wouldn't you think they will, you know, have Psychic-type Normal Monsters? In those days, Normal Monsters were plentiful.

It's just like Dark and Metal were added types later in Generation 2, and now Dragon for Generation 5. New types added during the history of the Card game.

That's it for now.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast