Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type - Page 3

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Intelligence View Post
    I have no problem with the Fairy type, apart from the strength against Dragon types (Bleugh),
    Masuda admitted that that was the main reason the new type exists. Dragon was way too over-powered.

Default Re: Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type

Fairy makes sense because of the European flavor of the setting. Xerneas looks like he jumped out of a Fairy tale. Plus the word easily conjures up various physical descriptions AND special attributes whereas something like Magic only really does the latter. I found 'Magic' and the other suggested types to be much more vague than Fairy.

Cute little creatures might be the stereotype of Fairy, but just as Dragon types don't all look like the Western Dragon (which is the modern context of Dragon), there is room for variety. Adding Fairy type to Gardevoir suggests that the type will be more than just cute little sprites.

I wonder if the Japanese Pokemon fans are having as much of an uproar over the new type? Part of me doubts it.
    Dakhem Uaid likes this.

Blog Entries

In Japan, the word Fairy has different connotations than it does in English, which is why it isn't such a big deal to them. Here, it carries connotations that really don't describe what we're seeing that is currently in the new Fairy-type. That's the one problem I have with the name for this type.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Most people don't know that the majority of fair folks(fairies) were basically the joker with magical powers.

I would like to add to the weakness discussion. I'm almost 100% sure that Steel will be a weakness for Fairy types. I base this on the idea that in almost all fantasy writing, most fae creatures, or creatures that are fairies or of a magical, fairy-type, they have a weakness to a metal called cold-iron or iron which implies metal. In games like DnD this is something specific but it's actually just a poetic form of referring to iron on it's own (a reference to the fact that iron is cold to the touch) that was used long ago. So I'm sure that at least Steel type will be a weakness for them.

Well to be entirely specific, iron, like silver, used to be considered something to fight against magical creatures, fairies, witches, malevolent spirits and dark energy. For example iron fences used to be used around a cemetery because it was believed to contain the spirits of the dead.
    Last edited by Mysterygamer3k; 13th June 2013 at 02:50 AM.

If the name is bad, they could have called it Elven Type. That would have sounded better, but I'm not really against the current name. If they wanted the old-fashioned definition of a fairy, if that's what it is, then they could have named it Faerie Type.

At first I thought Fairy was the opposite to the Evil/Dark Type Pokemon, and the Light Type. But as people says, fairies do not have to be good or gentle beings. Still, Nymphia was called a fairy somewhere on the forums and my thoughts went to that Pokemon when hearing about Fairy Type. Nymphia looks like a Light Type Pokemon, so I thought this was what Fairy was.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I can believe the rumor about Fairy type come true .
    However , I think ''Celestial type'' sound much better then ''Fairy type'' .
    It would be cool to see an Angelic Pokemon .

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

With this new Fairy type, I think it will give more problem than it is. Provided that just like it said that Jigglypuff, Marill, Gardevoir and some other "cute" Pokemon to be in the new Fairy type group, oppositely wouldn't it make Dragon type now too much underpowered? You see, Jigglypuff, Marill, and other cute Pokemon that are speculated to become Fairy type, are all so common that you can just find one so easily along your journey. They also level quickly and evolve in quite low levels.

Dragon type pokemon may be overpowered in the stats parameter in general, but it has its disadvantages also. It is super-effective only to one type: Dragon. It defensive advantages is also only four, incomparable to Steel type which it has attack advantages of 2 and defensive advantages of 11! From the viewpoint of being a type, Dragon type is absolutely not overpowering at all. Say that rather to Steel type Pokemon.

Secondly, Dragon type Pokemon generally requires much more experience to level up, and generally evolve in rather very high level. At the same level of 40, many Pokemon already evolved into their 3rd stage, but Dragon type Pokemon (except Altaria) is only at their 2nd stage. So it really won't give it much advantages in the battle of low level. Dragon type Pokemon only show their true strength at high level, where such level will be achieved only very late like up to the Pokemon League stage.

Thirdly, Dragon type Pokemon are all very rare. You don't just encounter one so easily on the road. For the Dragon type that is not pseudo-legendary nor legendary, their stats are really not that outstanding, when your starter and many other Pokemon stats in their final evolution stage already outrank them so easily.

So now, making Fairy type having advantages over Dragon, I think it just make Dragon too much underpowered. You make so much effort to find yourself a wild Dragon Pokemon to catch, and spend so much effort to train it to super high level, then to be beaten by an ordinary common Pokemon that you can find everywhere on the road? Remember, Dragon Pokemon receive STAB only with Dragon type attack, where Dragon type attack has no type advantages if opponent is not Dragon. So how it can be overpowered, unless it is at high level? Like I said before, Dragon type Pokemon only show their true strength at high level, where at low level battles, they are rather disadvantaged.
    Last edited by クリスタル; 13th June 2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Madame Pika likes this.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Why do people think Marill is a fairy? It looks more like a mouse, like Pikachuu. And Jigglypuff doen't look like a fairy. The family looks like a balloon with cat's ears and a rabbit. Pippi and Pixie looks like fairies though.
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape

I could understand you thinking that it puts dragon at more of a disadvantage, but they won't be anymore underpowered than any other type of pokemon that ends up against it's counter type. It just puts dragons on less of a unique pedestal, having a type that is strong against them won't hurt anything more than not having anything in all honesty. I think that's just putting a knee jerk reaction over it in the end and that reacting by saying it'll put the on the underpowered end of things is giving the creators little credit. Granted they most likely haven't played it out as much as it will be after players start playing around with the games, but I'm sure they tested everything out and are still tweaking things as well to make sure it's where they would like for it to be. They are not infallible, no, but I'm sure they have thought about the decision and the implications it will have on dragon types and on pokemon in general before finalizing it.

Yes, dragon types are more rare than others to come across, but there are still many more than there once was, and considering every other type of pokemon has something super effective against it, and the only thing super effective against dragons right now is ice type abilities, adding Fairy type attacks and pokemon won't make things any worse than anything that already exists in the game. To have a more common go to solution than Ice Beam, or Blizzard, for dealing with dragon types seems like it will be fine balance wise, it won't destroy the meta, and it won't completely ruin the game unless you just can't stand the type being called fairy, which I still say is rather silly to complain about.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

And I'm sure I don't need to point out that magic being strong against dragons is not really a new idea.
    I've seen it before, but I'm so used to seeing dragons immune or highly resistant to magic that the idea of it being extra effective against them as feels wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    If the name is bad, they could have called it Elven Type. That would have sounded better, but I'm not really against the current name. If they wanted the old-fashioned definition of a fairy, if that's what it is, then they could have named it Faerie Type.
    Elven doesn't really describe what they are though. I don't think any of these Pokemon are at all elf-like.

Also, I don't think they were necessarily going for the classical type of fairy such that Faerie would have been a better name. They're certainly not just "tiny creatures with bug wings", they're really more "nature spirits", which is still a common modern usage.

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    They're certainly not just "tiny creatures with bug wings", they're really more "nature spirits", which is still a common modern usage.
    Yeah, I can agree with this. Sylveon's name relates to this aswell, as it probably comes from sylvan, which can mean "(Myth & Legend / Classical Myth & Legend) an inhabitant of the woods, esp a spirit".
    Infinity Mk-II likes this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    Where the hell does Nintendo and/or Game Freak get the idea of using "fairy" as a type?
    Why are dragons a type? Do dragon attacks have some unique property that makes them draconic? Why is Dragon Breath not a fire type attack? Why is Dragon Pulse not a flying attack? Draco Meteor? It looks like a rock to me.

If dragons are allowed their own unique brand of magic, then why aren't fairies?
    Stratelier likes this.

"I want money, I want women, I want power, I want Internets. I want everything in the world!"
    — Greed (the most Bad-ass Homunculus ever), Fullmetal Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    And I'm sure I don't need to point out that magic being strong against dragons is not really a new idea.
    I've seen it before, but I'm so used to seeing dragons immune or highly resistant to magic that the idea of it being extra effective against them as feels wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    Elven doesn't really describe what they are though. I don't think any of these Pokemon are at all elf-like.

Also, I don't think they were necessarily going for the classical type of fairy such that Faerie would have been a better name. They're certainly not just "tiny creatures with bug wings", they're really more "nature spirits", which is still a common modern usage.
    I did a quick look-up and it seems that fairy is a more general term for magical beings than elf. Elf is from German folklore while fairy is Celtic, so the terms appears to have different origins. Since fairy is so general, meaning goblins, gnomes, etc., then it suits a Pokemon type better than elf. I guess that elf is a fairy too then.

I've been looking forward to a "fairy" type in Pocket Monsters. I always wanted a Pokemon game of the fantasy genre.
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    F
    Also, these kinds of "fairies" are actually very similar to the Japanese Youkai, which a ton of Pokémon are already based on (Ninetales, Espeon, Shiftry and others).
    That's my only concern. Clearly, new Pokemon based on Youkai or Fairy legends could fall under the fairy category....but should they? What will be the determining factor of whether these Pokemon become Fairy or not? We already have quite a few Youkai, as you pointed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post

Dragon type pokemon may be overpowered in the stats parameter in general, but it has its disadvantages also. It is super-effective only to one type: Dragon. It defensive advantages is also only four, incomparable to Steel type which it has attack advantages of 2 and defensive advantages of 11! From the viewpoint of being a type, Dragon type is absolutely not overpowering at all. Say that rather to Steel type Pokemon.
    At the same time, four types resist Steel, and only Steel resisted Dragon up to this point. Given the prominence of Earthquake despite the many Flying and Levitate Pokemon, I doubt Dragons would suffer too much from Fairy being immune to it (if the rumors are true). Let's face it, its the immunity that would harm Dragons, not the super-effective hit against it. Dragons have always been prominent in the metagame, meaning there was no shortage of "super effective" moves that hit it. If a x4 weakness to Ice, a common offensive typing didn't hinder it, I doubt Fairy would do much better.

Now onto Fairy's potential immunity to Dragon. The only major thing I see happening is that Outrage will drop in usage....or at the very least, people will be more cautious when using it. Dragons have a wide array of moves to choose from--that's what makes them powerful.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 13th June 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast