Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type

Blog Entries
    Follow Lester Nygaard On Twitter

Default Re: Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type

I have no problem with the Fairy type, apart from the strength against Dragon types (Bleugh), but if Game Freak add any more types, I'll have a conniption. The games are on the verge of getting way to confusing...

Haters gonna hate

Default Re: Fairies and the Fairy Type: Why Fairies aren't a bad idea for a type

See also type-moon universe for an interpretation of fairy powers and toaru universe magicians and espers for an interpretation of magic/psychic difference.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Now after further discussion, it makes no sense to make Jigglypuff, Marill and Gardevoir a Fairy type. Jigglypuff still arguable because... well, using Moon Stone to evolve, but its biology has nothing to do with the moon or any magical stuff.

Now it just make me wonder. Where the hell does Nintendo and/or Game Freak get the idea of using "fairy" as a type?
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

I have no beef with the addition of a new type. This is GameFreak trying to balance out the metagame a little bit, similar to the removal of the Stealth Rocks TM in Gen 5.

What I do have a problem with is the name. Fairy. In modern society, it conjures up images of Tinker Bell or Navi. They're different than regular Pokemon, yes. Fine. But if we're going about naming a new type, and broadening it out from "sparkly, pixie-like creatures" to "magical properties", then we've got a bit of a problem. The modern connotation of the word "Fairy" doesn't make you think of Morgan la Fey, Gandalf, or Harry Potter.

As cliché as it is, I would've almost preferred the type to be called "Magic" or "Magicka" or even just "Mana". "Supernatural" would've worked better than the Fairy-type.

Like I said. I don't have a problem with the type itself, just the representation and connotation of the name.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Blog Entries

I was fairly meh-ish about the Fairy-type idea. I wasn't for it or against it, kinda in neutral ground. However, after reading the article, as well as hearing the recent YouTube vid from the roundtable discussion, it's a lot more favorable in my eyes now. Dragon has been a bit overpowering, pretty well dominating the airwaves, both in casual and metagame battles. Nothing against Dragon, it's one of my favorites types of creatures (having a love for all dragonic things), but it does seem like it is a bit overwhelming at times. Only Steel has any form of defense against it. So I'm now for it, especially since it gives me another reason to use Gardevoir (though now trying to decide on only four moves will be much more challenging, as if it wasn't to begin with).

The name is what sorta threw me off, at least at first. Fairy seems a bit too... sparkly? This isn't like Yu-Gi-Oh, where the original type name was "Angel", and changed to avoid religious conflicts in other countries. "Fairy" seems a bit odd, especially compared to the other, more striking-sounding type names. "Mystic", "Mana", or, dare I say it, "Light" might make more sense, or at least make it stand out more. But it's their decision, not mine, so even though the name seems a bit like something out of Disney, I'll go with it. That's probably my only gripe at this point. But like how I felt when Dark and Steel were first introduced, I'll get used to it. I mean, I've been with the series this long, so I might as well just roll with it. A couple of screwballs won't exactly make me drop the series completely and storm off, so why start now.

That's my feelings about the whole thing, anyway. At least now the metagame won't be overwhelmingly powerful with one type. Balance is the key, after all. Besides, a new type is still a fun idea, especially since it's been 14 or so years since Dark and Steel were introduced. And since Gen VI is pretty much a new dimension and chapter in the Pokemon world, what better way to start things off with a surprise.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

See, the thing I don't understand is how people are using the argument that Fairy is too much like Psychic when they are perfectly fine with Dark. Ghost and Dark seem much more similar than Psychic and Fairy. GSC were before my time, but I don't think NEARLY as many tables were flipped over Dark as over Fairy.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

Maybe as a society we do think of fairy as only Tinkerbell but maybe Game Freak is trying to abolish that stereotype. It could be a learning moment so that we understand that things are much more than they appear on the surface.

Steel type is not called metal type but we pretty much associate it that way. Only one move has the name steel and 3 moves each are named iron and metal. The same connection can be said about flying not being called wind. Maybe it can be called Fairy officially but as fans we'll just associate it with magic.

I find the news of the new type really interesting. Yeah, the name fairy brings up rather silly things to a modern audience, but I don't think that's a reason to shun the name, considering how powerful "fairies" were in the past. And for those that think it's too girly, need I remind them that lots of things in this franchise are "girly" or cute, and they are still tough. For example:

Dawn's Buneary: It looks adorable, until it uses its ears for a dizzy punch, freezes you solid, and fights of Phione.

Brock's Hapinny, which is a pink baby girl and yet has the strength of Hercules

That wild Jigglypuff from Hoenn. Rough Tough Jigglypuff is right.

Whitney's Miltank: It's a pink cow for crying out loud, and it's Rolling Death.

Point is, you should know by now that the cute ones are just as capable, or more capable of booting you into next month... with steel toed boots. So for anyone that laughs them off, I'll be right here, waiting for you to come back covered in bruises so I can laugh.

And again, about the name, from an in universe perspective, Pokemon researchers probably gave that name because the first species reminded them of fairies. Ghost types were probably named so because they resembled ghosts, and not necessarily because they WERE ghosts (the scientific community would probably refuse to believe they were real ghosts). And Dragon types were probably named that for a physical resemblance to mythical dragons. So I can go with the name.

And is there really that big a debate over how to separate Psychic, Ghost, and Dark types. I actually have a theory that...

Blog Entries

Wait... hold on. I have a question to ask...

If the Fairy type was instead called the "Magic" type, would some people be okay with it? Is it the name that ruins the entire thing for those people?
    "HE EVEN GODMODDED THE PANCAKES!" - SA3

I have nothing wrong with the type, but I wish the name was different, or they released a masculine-looking Fairy-type along with the type reveal since so many people think that the type is jut going to be pink, cute, feminine pokemon since the image of a fairy, at least in North America, is exactly that. I hope there will be a Fairy/Dark or a Fairy/Ghost revealed soon that will help correct this misconception.
    <-- it has a tan

Any misconceptions would be cleared up by what they do rather than their looks. Like I said, the cute ones have already proven to be just as rough, if not more since they psych you out with looking the way they do.

Actually, it reminds me of another fandom, Green Lantern. They have a group called the Star Sapphire Corps, a group of primarily women (most men don't have the qualities to join) that have pink (they call it violet, but it is pink) power rings that are fueled by the violet (again, pink) light of love. And their job is to protect and foster love across the universe.

So let me review:

1. They are 100% female (so far)

2. They wear pink uniforms

3. Their power source is love converted into light energy, and their rings can fire beams of love or make hard light objects out of love

4. Their job is to protect and foster love.

Pink women who deal with love and fire love beams? To anyone hearing that, it may sound like they're the Carebears. It sounds "girly" and pathetic, right? Yeah... but then you realize that love energy is condensed so much that it's like a high powered LASER that can melt steel, and the first thing they did when they showed up in the Geoff Johns run of the comics (the one that created the Corps) was to blast a big old hole right through a man's chest with pure concentrated love. It's like if cupid had a police force, and all the officers carried heavy artillery. It gives new meaning to the phrase "Love Bites".

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

At the moment, all we know about the Fairy-type is that it's strong against the Dragon-type. Has anyone stopped to ask what the Fairy-type's weaknesses are? As long as it has weaknesses, how bad could it possibly be?

If it doesn't have weaknesses, then yeah, I'm not seeing what exactly they accomplished.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

It has to have weaknesses of some kind. It would be too overpowered in the game to get by without some form of weakness. I'm sure they worked that out already. Also, the Clefairy line better be reclassified as Fairy types, because if the literal Fairy Pokemon aren't reclassified as a Fairy type, I'm going to call foul. I mean seriously... that would be messed up.

Has anyone looked around much for rumors and such about it?

From PokéBeach: "Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it." (source)

Granted, it's still conjecture until proven, but I would think Poison is certainly up there for being one of its weaknesses. That way they can help boost Poison (which has long been in need of a boost), weaken Dragon without actually changing it, and just generally shuffle things around a bit. I think it makes sense, too...that, or I just think poisoning fairies sounds like a thing (if it isn't a thing yet, it should be).

As far as Psychic and Fire resisting it, though...if that is true, perhaps it's because both have more science-y connotations? Fire is plasma and psychic phenomena are heavily studied as pseudo sciences? And that could help Fire as far as competitive battling goes. Ground is very common but Fire would have more use if it was strong against the Fairy type. Fighting is also common, so there's that.

All in all, I don't mind the name or the change. It's a little odd, but I can accept it. It seems like they're changing good-natured, helpful Pokémon. Marill is some sort of water fairy, Jigglypuff is...Haha, well, as I said, it's still a bit odd to me. I think it will make more sense as time goes on and more information is revealed.

I'd think the Chansey and Clefairy lines, and the Lake Trio, could possibly be retyped as well. The link from PokéBeach mentions Mawile, which I could see. I'd miss it being one of the few pure Steel types, though.

For those who don't like the idea of fairy Pokémon because they conjure up images of adorable butterfly-winged dainty creatures that grant wishes and bring happiness, keep in mind that this is a relatively new phenomenon. The fairies of old legends were nasty creatures with supernatural powers and a morality that's so utterly alien that they have no concept of human empathy or love (I would link to the TV Tropes article called "The Fair Folk", but that would be linking to TV Tropes...).

Also, these kinds of "fairies" are actually very similar to the Japanese Youkai, which a ton of Pokémon are already based on (Ninetales, Espeon, Shiftry and others).

Actually I wouldn't mind Pokémon based on those kinds of faires, like maybe one based on a Dullahan or a Nucklavee (go look them up and see if they shouldn't be Pokémon).
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast