Editorial: Why Nintendo needs to go region free: Over 22,000 people support petition - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Editorial: Why Nintendo needs to go region free: Over 22,000 people support petition

Default Re: Editorial: Why Nintendo needs to go region free: Over 22,000 people support petit

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnChmp5 View Post
    The real reason Nintendo is keeping the region-lock is because they want people to import the systems from other countries as well as the games that don't get localized, on top of buying systems/games in their own region so Nintendo ends up making more money in the end.
    Malarkey. Now while the Wikipedia article doesn't do much in covering the issue, it does provide three generic reasons:

1 - Prices vary by region. In some cases, the cost of importing a foreign title may actually be lower than buying the local version. So you're effectively sending your money out of the country, not always good for the economy if it occurs at a large scale.
    2 - Content standards and legislation thereof vary by region.
    3 - Staggered release dates by region are easier to manufacture and prepare for than simultaneous worldwide release dates.
    Reasons 1 & 3 are countered in the article. Besides, I don't believe enough people import enough games to have any sizable impact on the economy. And as far as reason 2, how can legislation stop Nintendo from going region-free but not affect Sony or Microsoft.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Editorial: Why Nintendo needs to go region free: Over 22,000 people support petit

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    The real reason Nintendo is keeping the region-lock is because they want people to import the systems from other countries as well as the games that don't get localized, on top of buying systems/games in their own region so Nintendo ends up making more money in the end.
    Malarkey. Now while the Wikipedia article doesn't do much in covering the issue, it does provide three generic reasons:

1 - Prices vary by region. In some cases, the cost of importing a foreign title may actually be lower than buying the local version. So you're effectively sending your money out of the country, not always good for the economy if it occurs at a large scale.
    2 - Content standards and legislation thereof vary by region.
    3 - Staggered release dates by region are easier to manufacture and prepare for than simultaneous worldwide release dates.
    Reasons 1 & 3 are countered in the article. Besides, I don't believe enough people import enough games to have any sizable impact on the economy. And as far as reason 2, how can legislation stop Nintendo from going region-free but not affect Sony or Microsoft.
    Not to mention that a lot of blu-rays are now region free. Even those released by major studios such as Disney.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, region-locking is a bigger issue in Europe and the US than it is with Japan and any other continent because of the English speaking/translated games, as many people risks missing some great games. Even though Nintendo of America has said that they won't remove region-locking, there is still a chance we can change their mind (points towards Operation Rainfall as an example). A lot of game companies are actually willing to port games to other regions if there's a huge demand. I'm fairly certain games like Project X Zone wouldn't have been released in the US or Europe if folks didn't tell Namco Bandai, Capcom and Sega that they were interested in the game.

Anyway, interesting article, Joshawott. I already signed a few weeks ago to show my support just so you know.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It'd be great if game companies in general abolished this. There are better ways to circumvent piracy... and it means I can't buy anything digital when I'm on holidays.
    Last edited by Shiny Staraptor; 14th July 2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow MonsterMMORPG On Twitter Add MonsterMMORPG on Facebook Add MonsterMMORPG on Google+
    Add MonsterMMORPG on Linkedin Visit MonsterMMORPG's Youtube Channel

i also support region free

What I don't understand about the locks is why you can't play with people with another region 3DS over the wireless. I've tried to play LoZ 4-Swords and Mario Tennis with my friends, but it won't work. I hope PM XY will still be compatible over the wireless, because I plan to get a Japanese Y version and an English X version.

I've also be happy if Nintendo could distribute download content to all languages. I'm still not happy that America got a Deoxys (was it?) but the Japanese games got none. I know that since the games were released at different dates, the Pokemon distributions are not synched, but this problem will disappear with PM XY which are released at the same time all over the world; so there will no longer be any reason for separating the distributions.

When it comes to locked consoles, Nintendo only think about $$$$$$$$ and expect us to buy a console from each region we want to play games from, but they don't understand they only lose by doing this. I refused to buy a Wii because of the region lock (though my parents got me a Wii later) and I've still gotten no Wii-U. I bought a European 3DS so that I could play with my friends (though 4-Sword's not available any more) but just because it was an XL and I collect different handhelds (except for DSi, and guess why).
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    What I don't understand about the locks is why you can't play with people with another region 3DS over the wireless. I've tried to play LoZ 4-Swords and Mario Tennis with my friends, but it won't work. I hope PM XY will still be compatible over the wireless, because I plan to get a Japanese Y version and an English X version.
    Odd that Four Swords and Mario Tennis are language-locked. Four Swords is DSiWare, and the Gen V Pokemon games can communicate with Gen V games of any language perfectly fine. Mario Tennis is a 3DS game, and pretty much every single title with StreetPass is perfectly fine with other languages. Most DS/3DS games should be perfectly compatible despite language as well, but those are just the examples I'm most familiar with.

Pokemon X and Y absolutely must be inter-language compatible. Besides the very central idea of trading with people all over the world, the Pokemon World Championships require it. Besides, you get to pick the language you play in, so preventing inter-language communication would be insane.

I've also be happy if Nintendo could distribute download content to all languages. I'm still not happy that America got a Deoxys (was it?) but the Japanese games got none. I know that since the games were released at different dates, the Pokemon distributions are not synched, but this problem will disappear with PM XY which are released at the same time all over the world; so there will no longer be any reason for separating the distributions.
    Japan got a Deoxys too, just as a local distribution, not Wi-Fi. With all games having all languages, I would be very surprised if distributions were language-locked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    Odd that Four Swords and Mario Tennis are language-locked. Four Swords is DSiWare, and the Gen V Pokemon games can communicate with Gen V games of any language perfectly fine. Mario Tennis is a 3DS game, and pretty much every single title with StreetPass is perfectly fine with other languages. Most DS/3DS games should be perfectly compatible despite language as well, but those are just the examples I'm most familiar with.

Pokemon X and Y absolutely must be inter-language compatible. Besides the very central idea of trading with people all over the world, the Pokemon World Championships require it. Besides, you get to pick the language you play in, so preventing inter-language communication would be insane.

Japan got a Deoxys too, just as a local distribution, not Wi-Fi. With all games having all languages, I would be very surprised if distributions were language-locked.
    All 3ds games a required to be region locked (mostly be of the ati piracy security on the 3ds eshop chanel or what ever it called) although x and Y will have all the major pokemon didtro languages on card

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SHINY HEATRAN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post

All 3ds games a required to be region locked (mostly be of the ati piracy security on the 3ds eshop chanel or what ever it called) although x and Y will have all the major pokemon didtro languages on card
    I'm not talking about region-locking now, I'm talking about inter-language communication and the language-locking of distributions. Currently I can pick up an English language distribution in the US with my Australian White 2 on Australian 3DS, but I can't get a Japanese language distribution with the same pairing.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Solution: send an email to the current CEO of Nintendo - yep, the one in Japan.

They said we can choose our languages within the games. That means, even if we buy an English Pokemon XY, we can choose to play it in Spanish. I say that's a hint they're readying for making the games region-free in the near future

Blog Entries

the only thing that bug me with nintendo it pretty much region free yeah nintendo want to keep me as a fan then make a patch for 3ds to unlock them so we can play 3ds game from any region........ there one game i want ot play that so far hasn't had a release date outside japan call cardfight vanguard Ride to victory. i wouldn't mind importing it cause i can pretty much understand nearly all the cards but region lock :(

imo region lock is really more of a hinder and annoying.
    It'd be great if game companies in general abolished this. There are better ways to circumvent piracy... and it means I can't buy anything digital when I'm on holidays.
    yes what to say if nintendo get ride of region lock if companies decide to keep the region lock on the game carts?

frankly if one of two thing happen

1 region lock is remove and past 3ds and dsi have a patch to remove it (would be annoying to cough up the money to replace already own 3ds that has region lock.

2 all game have the same release date every so if a game come out in April it come out in April in US Australia Japan etc.

either one is fine though the first one would be great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12