E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon, XY - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon, XY

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon

Because British English spells a lot of words differently than American English. lol

Default Re: E3 Nintendo Direct reveals masses of information: Fairy type, several new Pokémon

Look, my main point was: I wish it were the Magic type. But then again, I suppose it still is.

P.S. Is it just me, or are we both arguing about different topics on different threads at the same time?

Registered User golgothasTerror's Avatar

In German Vivillon is Vivillon and Noivern is UHaFnir

WTF is with that weird capitalization?

Quote Originally Posted by jokool View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that they said Jigglypuff is part Fairy type, but not Cle'fairy'.
    Neither did they say whether Clefairy is not Fairy-type.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venomking View Post
    I know, but the "proper" spelling of it is Faerie.

Don't ask me how I know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    It's just the British spelling. Not the proper one. America spells it differently, deal with it.
    It's neither the "proper" nor the British spelling. It's the old Anglo-French spelling, now largely superseded by "fairy". In modern usage, "faerie" is sometimes used as a synonym for "fairy" - mostly, I suspect, because it looks cooler with its archaic spelling. There are subtle differences between the two uses, with "faerie" typically referring to the more folklorish, fantastical depictions, though this could be nothing more than the fact that fantasy authors like to show off a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post

It's just the British spelling. Not the proper one. America spells it differently, deal with it.
    It's neither the "proper" nor the British spelling. It's the old Anglo-French spelling, now largely superseded by "fairy". In modern usage, "faerie" is sometimes used as a synonym for "fairy" - mostly, I suspect, because it looks cooler with its archaic spelling. There are subtle differences between the two uses, with "faerie" typically referring to the more folklorish, fantastical depictions, though this could be nothing more than the fact that fantasy authors like to show off a bit.
    Aye, it's pretty much the equivalent of calling it "Magick". Although Faerie can be a place, while Fairy always refers to the creatures.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

I swear I didn't know about any of this when I made my username/avatar.

'Faerie' is French, I think. Not British, but maybe really old French.
    Last edited by 妖精ちゃん; 12th June 2013 at 02:05 AM.

フェアリーです~
    (~ O /// O)~

Fairy's FanFiction/FictionPress

I will be forever calling this F-Type...

And subsequently not using this type or its Pokemon. Not that I hate it, I just have a few types 'm good with and some others I completely neglect.

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that I think about it, were people reacting EXACTLY like this when the Dark and Steel types were announced? Someone, please tell me because I was only about a year old when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out.
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    Now that I think about it, were people reacting EXACTLY like this when the Dark and Steel types were announced? Someone, please tell me because I was only about a year old when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out.
    I personally was excited for new types. It was all a part of the newness... new pokemon, new types, new moves. It was all new in a way things hadn't been new before.

There was no precedent for moves and when they would appear, for all we knew there could have been new types every gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruuku View Post

And subsequently not using this type or its Pokemon. Not that I hate it, I just have a few types 'm good with and some others I completely neglect.
    Hey those types you are good with might end up dual typing with Fairy, gotta stay on your toes!

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Personally I was happy when I heard there was a new Dark and Steel type in Godl and Silver. I loved all the Dark and Steel types and that Magnemite and Magneton were retyped. Though I was only 8 or 9 and didn't care about type weaknesses and strengths much and just played the game. :P But eventually Dark became my favorite type and Umbreon one of my favorite Pokemon.

Now as for the new Fairy type, I wasn't all for it at first, but now I'm okay with it cause it makes sense and really fits as a Pokemon type. Makes much more sense than Light or anything else.And think about it, they've ,in a way ,used Umbreon, a then new Eeveelution, to introduce the Dark type , so it makes sense to me that they would use Sylveon to introduce a new type. I was confused as to why it's strong to Dragon, but after reading this Fairies and the Fairy Type - Bulbanews, it makes sense why it's called Fairy and why it's strong against Dragons. Plus it balances out the type chart more and makes Dragon less overpowered and more common. The retyping were also expected for me. They did the same in Gen II with making Magnemite/Magneton Steel so it's makes sense they'd retype some Pokemon when introducing a new type. Though Marill being Water/Fairy makes no sense to me. Gardevoir being Psychic/Fairy sort of does. And Jiggypuff being Normal/Fairy makes the most sense. Clefairy being retyped as Fairy should happen too cause it is CleFAIRY and it's the FAIRY Pokemon.If it isn't then I'l will forever question GF's logic. And since Snubull's also the Fairy Pokemon it makes sense to me it would get retyped too. (Plus it's pink and has bow-like ears like Sylveon's bows.) And if Granbull were to also be retyped, then there could be a Fairy Pokemon that's mean looking and not just a bunch of cutesy and girly ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post

Aye, it's pretty much the equivalent of calling it "Magick". Although Faerie can be a place, while Fairy always refers to the creatures.
    Yea it's basically the hipster way of saying Fairy. Just like "Majick" people mostly use faerie when they think they are being special or unique. They want to be different, outside the norm or generally just pretending to be a know it all and explain it to us normals.

Agreed I have no particular hatred towards it but certainly no draw towards it. Strong indifferance or un-interest. I doubt I'll be using to many fairy types at all from what has been shown/explained so far.
    Friend Code: 5244 1155 9719
    Trying to complete my national dex, Have all New Unova pokemon. PM me if you wanna trade non-unova pokemon

Hey those types you are good with might end up dual typing with Fairy, gotta stay on your toes![/QUOTE]

True.. true. A Grass\Fairy wouldn't be bad as long as it isn't overtly feminine and embarrassing to use. Grass types usually have no means to defend themselves when it comes to Dragons.

Kinda silly to be embarrassed about a digital pokemon you're using to fight, especially if it could save you in a fight you might have otherwise lost. Not to say that anyone has to use them, but I think it's kinda silly to get embarrassed over something like that. Look how many guys actually like MLP (not the over obsessed) and think about it for a moment. It's just because a lot of things people accuse of being "girly" have become associated with that automatically as the norm in most people's mindsets. Heck ancient Roman and even Aztec/Mayan warriors wore skirts into battle. Granted they weren't pink, but pink wasn't a color you could find easily back then anyway.

My point is that people should be more secure in themselves than to be embarrassed about a type being called "fairy" and some of them looking girly or cute. Personally I'm excited about the type and I'll definitely be getting myself a Sylveon for my team, at least as a stand-in, in case of dragons.

Also, while on this subject, I'm curious to see what new moves with the fairy type will exist and what former moves might change to have the new fairy type as their type instead of their current ones. I'm sure some from the psychic list will change like "Healing Wish" for one or "Moonlight"

After thinking about it for a while, Sylveon may have to be in my party at all times. ***ing Garchomp...

Maybe that was why they introduced the new type?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast