Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

Default Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

The official Pokémon website has revealed two more new Pokémon to international audiences. Zorua and Zoroark will be keeping their Japanese names.

Read more on Bulbanews

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

I don't really count "Zorua" as it keeping its Japanese name. The character's name is Zor(r)oa, not Zorua.

Still, it's good enough, I guess.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on August 8th, 2014

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Default Re: Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

I believe 'Zorua' was the trademarked Romanisation.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It is. But it's an incorrect romanization, like "Prasle."

Blog Entries

When I saw 157 new monsters, I was surprised, because I thought there are only 156. I am not sure which of Meloetta or Hihidaruma's other forme is considered a different species. While "Tricky Fox" does sound milder, it probably makes more sense.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    When I saw 157 new monsters, I was surprised, because I thought there are only 156. I am not sure which of Meloetta or Hihidaruma's other forme is considered a different species.
    I miscounted. Apologies. The article has been updated with the correct tally.

Blog Entries

Hooray! I was worried these two would get dumb English names.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I don't really count "Zorua" as it keeping its Japanese name. The character's name is Zor(r)oa, not Zorua.
    Better to say it kept its romanization, then?
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Reject the status quo! Radio Rebel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is. But it's an incorrect romanization, like "Prasle."
    Actually, I think it's the other way around. "Rua" is Irish for "red-haired", which applies to Zorua. It is also an Arabic given name meaning "dream" or "vision", which could relate to Zorua's Illusion ability. Both of which are pronounced "roo-ah", not "roh-ah". "Roa" doesn't seem to mean anything relevant, according to Wiktionary; it would appear that it's actually the katakana which is incorrect. Of course, that's assuming that the second word is rua/roa and not a word that contains those letters; in that case it might come from a longer word that is spelled with a "u" that's pronounced like an "o", hence the differing spellings. I'm not a linguist, so I went with Occam's Razor and assumed it was rua/roa, but what the hell do I know... although it would be an amusing coincidence that "rua" happens to have two relevant meanings if it's not part of the name origin.

Also, I agree with Axxonn. I'm glad Zorua and Zoroark kept their names. Having said that, "Foul Play" is marginal, and I refuse to accept "Hone Claws".

Actually, I don't have a problem with Foul Play, I just needed an excuse to make that reference (cookie if you get it). But seriously, Hone Claws? That is, in the words of the immortal Strong Bad (may he rest in peace), "different, and lame, and differently lame". What was wrong with Claw Sharpen, exactly? Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it.

Also, did anyone else notice that the Pokémon's names aren't in all caps? Do you think they've stopped putting names in all caps now, or are they just nicknamed that way (don't know why they would be, just an observation).
    Name: Rebel ♦ Friend Code: 2208-6003-1380 ♦ Friend Safari: Beautifly, Paras, Vivillon
    Badges: 2 ♦ Pokédex: 83 Seen / 28 Obtained ♦ Medals: ?

Hehe...Foul play, huh...?

Yay, they kept the "u" in Zorua! Makes him all the more cuter, if you ask me. I don't mind the attack names. It's not like "Claw Sharpen" and "Hone Claws" have different meanings. D:

In both cases, you're getting your claws ready. In Japan, it emphasizes "attack" of the stat raising. In the US, you're presumably watching your foe carefully from behind a menacing stance with your claws, emphasizing the "accuracy".

Does "honing" not mean "aiming"? Or did I silly just now? Either way, that is how I see it. It's not a bad name at all.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Blog Entries

Finally, the controversy has ended, only for a new one to take it's place. Many suspected that this poke would be like Lucario and have it's name kept. I'm kinda surprised we got it with no spelling alteration. That is now 7 named pokes, bringing the 500 to America at last. Although I am surprised that pokemon.com has not taken this opportunity to say there is another movie with these pokes in it. Then again, if I remember how it works, there are times they've revealed the pokemon before the movie associated to it. I just don't remember how much time was between those instances.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ♥告げ口心臓♥
    it would appear that it's actually the katakana which is incorrect.
    The katakana clearly says ゾロア. If the name was meant to be "Zorua," the name would have been written out as ゾルア, not ゾロア. It's a completely different vowel sound.

But, "Zorua" has already been put out there. Even if someone decided that they messed up, it's way too late to do anything about it now. We're stuck with that lousy romanization forever.

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

The katakana clearly says ゾロア. If the name was meant to be "Zorua," the name would have been written out as ゾルア, not ゾロア. It's a completely different vowel sound.

But, "Zorua" has already been put out there. Even if someone decided that they messed up, it's way too late to do anything about it now. We're stuck with that lousy romanization forever.
    Messed up? Well, it might be. But, should we consider pronouncing Zorua as if it wasn't Japanese? I wonder how it sounds. It might tell us whether it was really meant to be romanised this way or the other way.
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

Blog Entries

^trademark entry
    Gamefreak seems to be well aware of the difference between the kana and the romaji. It doesn't matter.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Oh thank god they kept the original names for them; i'm still getting used to oshawott..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast