Crunching the numbers: Graph theory: Enhance your game with the power of math

Thread: Crunching the numbers: Graph theory: Enhance your game with the power of math

Default Crunching the numbers: Graph theory: Enhance your game with the power of math

Crunching the numbers: Graph theory: Enhance your game with the power of math

In a city called Königsberg, in a section of the Pregel River, there are two islands. Between the two islands and the mainland, there were seven bridges. There is a historic puzzle relating to these bridges: see if you can find a way to cross each bridge only once.

Read more on Bulbanews

Default Re: Crunching the numbers: Graph theory: Enhance your game with the power of math

And this just shows you how awesome your brain is.

Default Re: Crunching the numbers: Graph theory: Enhance your game with the power of math

This is a great article. You introduce something interesting about mathematics and apply it to game design.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's funny is that when I first read that puzzle with the bridges, it was worded as that you can't go over the same path twice, so I thought it was funny when people said it was impossible because surely you'd be able to go over the bridge again on the other side. It took literally YEARS to find that it was supposed to be that you couldn't go over the same BRIDGE twice.

"These brainteasers have shown up in the icy areas of Pokémon since Generation II, but they aren’t unique to Game Freak’s creation"

Indeed

Frictionless Ice - Television Tropes & Idioms
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex
    JC Denton: "What a shame."

My brain hurt after the first few paragraphs. @A@; Too much maths hurt my brain, and complicated charts and explanations don't help! OTL
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

I will admit I am sick of graph theory after taking a module in decision maths, BUT this is awesome! xD

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Wow, I really liked this, I'm itching to try it out! Yet more proof that Pokémon can be educational (as well as fun).

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Ferbgor On Twitter Add Ferbgor on Facebook

Even aimlessly sliding on ice has Maths to do with it. This only proves that YOU NEED MATH TO SURVIVE!

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

I want more puzzles like this in Pokemon games! I can still remember trying to figure out that big ice puzzle in the Ice Path in 2000 (the one [and the one before] with the rocks you have to push down from the floor above)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    Wow, I really liked this, I'm itching to try it out! Yet more proof that Pokémon can be educational (as well as fun).
    Only if your math teacher uses Pokemon as an example, otherwise, we're just doing the unconsciously.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had heard of this puzzle.Apparently this puzzle was destroyed in WW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Registered Poké-Addict Strato Lucario's Avatar

Pokemon. Shallow enough on the outside for small children, deep game mechanics complicated enough to make me lose sleep over where to EV train my Riolu.

The only problem I have with this is that I could have figured it out by sliding in random directions by the time I had worked it out with graph theory...
    "I bought the Christian version of Pokemon the other day. But for some reason, my Pokemon won't evolve..."- Anonymous.

Torchic and Manaphy fan torchicfan's Avatar

I never really needed complex math in order to solve these kinds of puzzles because I am pretty good at planning out a path of travel. However, I was stumped for about 5 minutes on the last ice puzzle that you had to go over when heading towards the leader of Sootopolis gym.