Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest Monsters: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training ga

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By System Error
  • 1 Post By Te-em

Thread: Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest Monsters: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training ga

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest Monsters: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training ga

Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest Monsters: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training game

In a belated update to this column series we look at a monster-training game that came around after the success of Pokémon: Dragon Quest Monsters. How does this game stack up to Pokémon? What does it do better?

Read more on Bulbanews

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Default Re: Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest Monsters: Pokémon isn't the only monster-trainin

If you have to compare Pokemon with other monster-training games, you can then also include the Digimon Story series on NDS.

Other than the evolution system, everything are also so similar to Pokemon: The status values, the amount of maximum Digimon you can hold, the battle system, the Digimon storage (in terms of a Digimon Farm), etc.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Default Re: Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest Monsters: Pokémon isn't the only monster-trainin

nicely written.

but if you guys want a truly bad rip-off of Pokemon, look no further than "Shaman King: Legacy of Spirits"... I love Shaman King, but jeez is that game bad... well, not bad. But it's clearly just a rushed pokemon re-skin of sorts.

That game has spirit combinations too...which I thought was the only original thing, but it turns out it was just ripping off Dragon Quest Monsters.

Blog Entries

Nice article.

I have only recently jumped into the DQM franchise with the DS versions (Joker and Joker 2), but I admit they're quite fun. Too bad the breeding system is nothing like in the GBC game though. Now it's more about "level up to lv.10, synthesise + monster with - monster, pass skills, level up and synthesise again, pass buffed up variants of previous skills", than searching out correct breeding combinations. It gets rather tedious over time.

You should try to do Jade Cocoon next. Or Monster Rancher. Or Spectrobes. Or Digimon Adventure. Or... wow, Pokemon sure has spawned a lot of clones, hasn't it? :)
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubinek View Post
    Nice article.

I have only recently jumped into the DQM franchise with the DS versions (Joker and Joker 2), but I admit they're quite fun. Too bad the breeding system is nothing like in the GBC game though. Now it's more about "level up to lv.10, synthesise + monster with - monster, pass skills, level up and synthesise again, pass buffed up variants of previous skills", than searching out correct breeding combinations. It gets rather tedious over time.

You should try to do Jade Cocoon next. Or Monster Rancher. Or Spectrobes. Or Digimon Adventure. Or... wow, Pokemon sure has spawned a lot of clones, hasn't it? :)
    Yeah, I played through Joker 1, but couldn't be assed to complete the bestiary or anything. Just ended up being tedious after a while of it. I might eventually cover those one day, however - they're quite a bit different from the GBC games.

Actually, Monster Rancher is what's next. And yes! Jade Cocoon, baby. Excellent game, and was on my to-do list from Day 1.
    rubinek likes this.
    Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries
    Follow Erdrick On Twitter Add Erdrick on Facebook Add Erdrick on Google+ Add Erdrick on MySpace
    Add Erdrick on Linkedin Follow Erdrick on Tumblr Follow Erdrick on Flickr Visit Erdrick's Youtube Channel

Crystal Monsters is crap and a horrible reskin of Pokemon. Just sayin'.
    Anyway, I might try out the original DQM someday...I already beat the last two.
    DQM has the least similarties of the games that are similar to Pokemon.

Will Megami Tensei and/or it's spin-offs ever be covered as it is older than Pokemon and shares quite a bit with DQM, such as monster fusion.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Given that Shin Megami Tensei was of the first games that centered completely on monster-training (or well, demon contracting), I think it should be one of the first to be covered... It's older than FFL and DQ's monster-training was tangential.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

I love Dragon Quest. But it is pretty much the same. Well, the Monster Training and all. GO SLIME! >_>

Credit goes to Oblivion for making this! Thanks Oblivion! You are Awesome! :)

Will there be a comparison with Telefang? Or has there already been one? I think it's very much like Pokemon, but with better graphics.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Speaking of Telefang, the Telefang in the old GBC was bootleggedly translated to English version under the name "Pokemon Diamond" and "Pokemon Jade" in the old day.

And BTW, I can still remember I went to buy this game in the past and only found out I was tricked. I was disappointed, but I didn't dislike the game. This encourages me go and buy the original real Telefang series on the GBA.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

If Telefang ever comes to the DS or 3DS, I will buy it. It's a pity that monster-training games aren't so popular except Pocket Monsters, because there needs to be more competition for GF to put more quality into their games. Like Square and Enix used to compete with one another, and DQ and FF used to be similar games, but now the games have, as we see today, taken different paths. Just as regular RPGs have spread and many different companies make them, so I wish the monster-training RPGs would. There needs to be a good alternative to Pocket Monsters.
    rubinek likes this.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries
    Follow Erdrick On Twitter Add Erdrick on Facebook Add Erdrick on Google+ Add Erdrick on MySpace
    Add Erdrick on Linkedin Follow Erdrick on Tumblr Follow Erdrick on Flickr Visit Erdrick's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    If Telefang ever comes to the DS or 3DS, I will buy it. It's a pity that monster-training games aren't so popular except Pocket Monsters, because there needs to be more competition for GF to put more quality into their games. Like Square and Enix used to compete with one another, and DQ and FF used to be similar games, but now the games have, as we see today, taken different paths. Just as regular RPGs have spread and many different companies make them, so I wish the monster-training RPGs would. There needs to be a good alternative to Pocket Monsters.
    So true...I was disappointed with Black and White! Although I am surprised that DQM isn't popular...I heard Japan ate Dragon Quest up.

I'd like to see what you think of the Robopon series. The first one was made around the same time as DQM so it should be up soon.

LinkBacks (?)