Can Pokémon be educational?: How to implement Pokémon in the classroom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Pokémon be educational?: How to implement Pokémon in the classroom

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Can Pokémon be educational?: How to implement Pokémon in the classroom

Can Pokémon be educational?: How to implement Pokémon in the classroom

All over the world, children love Pokémon. It inspires their imaginations and their creativity. Can teachers harness this power to help students learn?

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can Pokémon be educational?: How to implement Pokémon in the classroom

Absolutely educational. When I was an elementary student one of my first gba games was pokemon gold and it encouraged me to learn how to read (so I could understand what was happening in the game) and was excellent practice for practicing to read. I also practiced my artistic talents with inspiration from pokemon. And now I am currently a junior in high school with all A's (save for this semester) and I am taking many AP and honors classes, including AP art and AP English

Blog Entries

Follow Oblivion on Tumblr Visit Oblivion's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Can Pokémon be educational?: How to implement Pokémon in the classroom

Can Pokemon be educational? Yes.

Will people actually use the franchise as a basis for education? More than likely not.

Most adults, due to the inexplicable wonders (obvious sarcasm) of the generation gap, view Pokemon, or even video games in general, as brain-corrupting and mind-erasing.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes I beleave that pokemon can be educational as I learned to read pretty much from pokemon silver as a kid and in the class room it would be useful to help kids learn skills.

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, I don't really hate writing! :P

I thought this was a very interesting article. Besides education, it may be good to stop closet fans from pretending to hate Pokémon and who beat up the kids with no regret in admitting they play it.
    But it might be a good idea to stop when they start to teach about Hypno.
    In all seriousness though, I think this could work reasonably well as long as the teacher actually knew what Pokémon is. As the author said, many adults think video games are corruptive.
    Last edited by Shiny Staraptor; 27th March 2011 at 06:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm assuming my Pokémon-themed Data Management exam doesn't count for much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ombrare View Post
    Most adults, due to the inexplicable wonders (obvious sarcasm) of the generation gap, view Pokemon, or even video games in general, as brain-corrupting and mind-erasing.
    This is definitely true. Well, most older adults. The ones who are in their 20's are mroe accepting of these things, :D
    Last edited by Zekurom; 27th March 2011 at 08:02 AM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

2664-2340-0333 SV{153} Pyroclastic Friend's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend On Twitter
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Zek*rom View Post
    They could teach stuff about stats, too. :D
    And Catch Rate, IVs...

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Dragon Blade View Post
    And Catch Rate, IVs...
    That's all probability. There's actually some higher-grade (even up to university-level) material in there, like degrees of freedom and infinite series.

You could even do an entire lecture on 63.2% (which is an approximation of the probability you'll catch a Pokémon with a catch rate of 1/n using n Pokéballs, assuming n is large enough).
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

I think that this idea has some potential, although if none of the students play pokemon, it probably wouldn't engage them as much.

However; very interesting ideas, and extremely well-written. Well done!

Blog Entries

I sure would have loved being able to write about Pokémon when I was younger when we did creative writing in English. I definetly agree that playing towards childrens interests is a good way to get them exciting about learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazand*ra View Post
    You could even do an entire lecture on 63.2% (which is an approximation of the probability you'll catch a Pokémon with a catch rate of 1/n using n Pokéballs, assuming n is large enough).
    "could" being the key word here :P
    Though it does sound a lot more interesting then having a lecture on the use of the students t distribution, which only really requires 5 minutes explanantion of when to use it and you're done. I think I feel asleep in that lecture.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

When I read the "On the Origin of Species", I was more than enough convinced that Pokemon is in a way a deep franchise. The other factor that convinced me are their competitive metagames (TCG and videogame). This is why I love Pokemon: it's got the educational value, the competitive value and the entertainment value.

Wonder what the first place's article is like, though.

Thanks for reading.
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Pokemon has taught me terms and helped me learn terms. I suppose it's also helped me learn a bit about different cultures as a little kid too. It's also quite useful when it comes to learning about nature.

I remember in elementary, once we were given these sheets at lunch that compared JPN Pokemon names to their English counterparts. That's the only time, besides educational video games and that one DP site, that I've seen it been used for educational reasons.

Blog Entries

If the On the Origin of Species articles show us anything, its that Pokemon can be used as a venue for education, and probably even bring awareness to endangered species.

Blog Entries

Great article and I agree, pokémon and other interests that children have are great vectors for education since it keeps it relevant to the child's life which will more likely keep him/her motivated.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it is a great idea that could help, but I don't see it working for 12+ year olds. This could just be from my experiences, but preteens and teenagers would mock the idea of using Pokémon (stereotyped as a children's game) in school, and it wouldn't be taken seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast