Bulbagarden X/Y Launch Giveaway: 10 copies of Pokémon X/Y to be given away! - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bulbagarden X/Y Launch Giveaway: 10 copies of Pokémon X/Y to be given away!

Annoying tiny fairy lover ariaandkia's Avatar

Default Re: Bulbagarden X/Y Launch Giveaway: 10 copies of Pokémon X/Y to be given away!

Ok,l maybe asking for a list of winners is a bit too much, but would it be possible to let us know if/once all the prizes have been claimed?

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is watching this thread to see if anyone shouts in celebration of getting the prize XD

(I am very curious)
    Last edited by ariaandkia; 7th October 2013 at 11:00 PM.
    My favorite pokemon are Togepi and Missingno (The red version).
    I love cute pokemon and ghost and fairy types are really cute!
    My goal is to collect cute pokemon and to fight for the equality of all pokemon!
    Current favorite phrase: 私のために死ぬください - Watashi no tame ni shinu kudasai. Because zombies are cute!

Default Re: Bulbagarden X/Y Launch Giveaway: 10 copies of Pokémon X/Y to be given away!

Haha, I ended up getting everything right, but I was still unsure for #4 so when I sent my answers to my friends, I told them to pick either 12 or 13 (still, it bugs me that Lucky Stadium doesn't count even after the Twitter page told me that any card with Imakuni? on it counted).

Anyway, for the one guy complaining about the first question, it was insanely easy, they kept explicitly saying the name of the site, it's not their fault if people don't think about it. All you do is type "Bulbagarden" into the Bulbapedia search and it's right there in front of you.

Either way, all of the questions would've been insanely easy if it wasn't for the confusion on #4 (Imakuni? was obvious, the card count wasn't quite so much) and #5 (and at least for #5 they accepted all the answers).

But yea, even with all my right answers, I didn't win hahaha, it was fun trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Celice View Post
    Haha, I ended up getting everything right, but I was still unsure for #4 so when I sent my answers to my friends, I told them to pick either 12 or 13 (still, it bugs me that Lucky Stadium doesn't count even after the Twitter page told me that any card with Imakuni? on it counted).

Anyway, for the one guy complaining about the first question, it was insanely easy, they kept explicitly saying the name of the site, it's not their fault if people don't think about it. All you do is type "Bulbagarden" into the Bulbapedia search and it's right there in front of you.

Either way, all of the questions would've been insanely easy if it wasn't for the confusion on #4 (Imakuni? was obvious, the card count wasn't quite so much) and #5 (and at least for #5 they accepted all the answers).

But yea, even with all my right answers, I didn't win hahaha, it was fun trying though.
    I agree. It definitely helped me get an idea of what I want from pokemon Y/X
    My goal is to collect cute pokemon and to fight for the equality of all pokemon!
    Current favorite phrase: 私のために死ぬください - Watashi no tame ni shinu kudasai. Because zombies are cute!

Yeah, I got all of them right and found the answers with about an hour. ALL of the answers were literally right on Bulbapedia. I started to second guess some of them as people got tripped up on the wording, and based on the main page of the TCG Gameboy Game I ended up basing my count on the legendary Dragonite (but they said that counted so...) with the exception of number 5 on which the page was very unclear, only stating that "some of" Chuang Yi's earlier translation maintained the right to left style, but not which one or any dates, even on the specific pages for the individual volumes, most of the answers were pretty explicit. You just had to look.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyorpheus View Post
    Yeah, I got all of them right and found the answers with about an hour. ALL of the answers were literally right on Bulbapedia. I started to second guess some of them as people got tripped up on the wording, and based on the main page of the TCG Gameboy Game I ended up basing my count on the legendary Dragonite (but they said that counted so...) with the exception of number 5 on which the page was very unclear, only stating that "some of" Chuang Yi's earlier translation maintained the right to left style, but not which one or any dates, even on the specific pages for the individual volumes, most of the answers were pretty explicit. You just had to look.
    Number 5 was probably the most confusing to me all things said and done. I actually had ended up ignoring Chuang Yi because I thought they were specifically focusing on VIZ as Chuang Yi was more Asia market from what I could tell and VIZ is more NA market.

Number 1 was a bit bothersome finding the answer.

Number 2 was a bit confusing for me as I wasn't sure what they meant by showed feelings for Brock. Anger, joy, etc... are all feelings.

Number 3 confused me until I re-read it.

Number 4 was just a bit more work than I'd like.

I think next time they should require forum accounts though:
    They'd be able to announce the winners.
    Would give people a reason to actually make forum accounts.
    Would give them an alternative way to contact winners.
    Last edited by ariaandkia; 8th October 2013 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ariaandkia View Post
    Number 5 was probably the most confusing to me all things said and done. I actually had ended up ignoring Chuang Yi because I thought they were specifically focusing on VIZ as Chuang Yi was more Asia market from what I could tell and VIZ is more NA market.

Number 1 was a bit bothersome finding the answer.

Number 2 was a bit confusing for me as I wasn't sure what they meant by showed feelings for Brock. Anger, joy, etc... are all feelings.

Number 3 confused me until I re-read it.

Number 4 was just a bit more work than I'd like
    Number 1 was literally the first thing, bolded and everything, on Bulbapedia's page about Bulbagarden.

Number 2 was also listed in the trivia section of each of the three girls. At the bottom of Brock's page it listed a number of girls he was interested. Click through them and in the trivia section it would say whether or not they showed interest first.

Number 3 yeah, I can see how it could be a little confusing. But the things a lot of people were getting tripped up over (glitches, trading, etc.) should have made it clear. If those things were valid, ALL of the titles would have to be included. Same for if you counted Pikachu or Eevee as a starter as at least one of either can be found in almost every game.

Number 4 Tricky. Super tricky. But then would it be a contest if it wasn't? Like I said, I ended up latching onto the Dragonite idea, but later when I was having doubts and took a look at the Imukani? page I didn't actually see anything that stuck out to me as screaming no this is a better option. But they ended up taking multiple answers so ultimately if you did any sort of real looking, you probably got it right.

Number 5 Again. Tricky. But the twitter actually said that because of their expanded answer pools based on confusion that this question was actually the one with the most correct answers.

Ultimately I didn't win. There were still more than 300 other entries who got them too. But half of the fun was in looking through all of these pages. I'm in it primarily for the games. So it was really fun for me to research and find out more about the manga, the anime, and the TCG that I never knew before.
    Last edited by ladyorpheus; 8th October 2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typos

What you think is easy or difficult and what other people think is easy or difficult might not be the same thing. If you look at this thread, the Twitter account and the Facebook page, it's clear that the first question caused the most confusion.

It was poor wording and poor communication. What constitutes a subsection? Which site was being referred to (since the contest was posted on Bulbanews)? What's the "full" name include?

If the question had been "What's the name of the episode of the Pokemon anime that Bulbagarden's name is based on?" or even "What's the full name of the site that hosts Bulbanews?" there'd've been much less confusion.

There's also the problem that the Bulbanews post didn't say the answers were available on Bulbapedia, and "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" doesn't appear anywhere on the bulbagarden.net main page (that one's especially noisome). If you hadn't come to this thread, how would you've known?

Not to mention that the original post didn't say "one entrant per household/IP," it said one per person, so probably a lot of people told their siblings and got disqualified.

Overall, it was a fiasco. As I said -- there's a really good reason contests usually have so much fine print; it's not that the companies holding contests want to trick you into losing, it's that they have to be ultra-explicit on the exact, precise nature of every single aspect of the contest to avoid legal trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post

What you think is easy or difficult and what other people think is easy or difficult might not be the same thing. If you look at this thread, the Twitter account and the Facebook page, it's clear that the first question caused the most confusion.

It was poor wording and poor communication. What constitutes a subsection? Which site was being referred to (since the contest was posted on Bulbanews)? What's the "full" name include?

If the question had been "What's the name of the episode of the Pokemon anime that Bulbagarden's name is based on?" or even "What's the full name of the site that hosts Bulbanews?" there'd've been much less confusion.

There's also the problem that the Bulbanews post didn't say the answers were available on Bulbapedia, and "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" doesn't appear anywhere on the bulbagarden.net main page (that one's especially noisome). If you hadn't come to this thread, how would you've known?

Not to mention that the original post didn't say "one entrant per household/IP," it said one per person, so probably a lot of people told their siblings and got disqualified.

Overall, it was a fiasco. As I said -- there's a really good reason contests usually have so much fine print; it's not that the companies holding contests want to trick you into losing, it's that they have to be ultra-explicit on the exact, precise nature of every single aspect of the contest to avoid legal trouble.
    I can agree completely with the other issues and the needless complexity of some questions, but the first question was so simple. The very first sentence of the article stated, "With less than two weeks to go until the worldwide release of Pokémon X and Y, Bulbagarden is giving fans worldwide the chance to win one of ten copies of the newly released games." The word "Bulbagarden" even links to its Bulbapedia page, which gives the full name in bold text.

I really hope they didn't disqualify anyone for telling their siblings since it STILL says one per person.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post

I can agree completely with the other issues and the needless complexity of some questions, but the first question was so simple. The very first sentence of the article stated, "With less than two weeks to go until the worldwide release of Pokémon X and Y, Bulbagarden is giving fans worldwide the chance to win one of ten copies of the newly released games." The word "Bulbagarden" even links to its Bulbapedia page, which gives the full name in bold text.
    Doesn't mean it can't be confusing. Some people might view the questions and the other text as separate entities.

I consider complex math very simple. But I consider simple arithmetic as well as explaining how I get my answers to be very difficult. Most people are the opposite.

I consider running fast to be very simple. But try telling that to someone in a wheelchair. "Oh, hey, running fast is very easy."

My point being that what is simple to one person may be difficult for another.

There actually were dates for Chuang Yi. If you click "Chuang Yi" it says that they started doing the right to left style with The Golden Boys, and when you click on The Golden Boys they have a list of the volumes and you click that to find the dates they were released.

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

Bummer I only got 2 correct answers lol :)) Number 3 was very confusing to me. I thought they said "Pal Park" would count so I put int PDPt games.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

There actually were dates for Chuang Yi. If you click "Chuang Yi" it says that they started doing the right to left style with The Golden Boys, and when you click on The Golden Boys they have a list of the volumes and you click that to find the dates they were released.
    Oh I did look and the Chuang Yi page. I didn't see anything about that though. The part that really tripped me up was it just said "Many of Chuang Yi's older titles are published in a left-to-right format[...] Newer titles, however..." I guess it depends how you would define "newer." I didn't even bother to look at most of those because I figured Ginji, which was 06-07, would be earlier than what they called "newer." 2003, almost 10 years ago now, is not what I would consider newer.

I'm very satisfied at how I did in this contest even though I didn't win. I consider the first two questions the easiest. But I must say that I would've been as confused as the majority about question number 1 had I not stumbled upon the Bulbagarden article in Bulbapedia back when I was reading stuffs there about the NIWA years ago. I'm lucky that I still remember the full name, and I never thought that that small knowledge about the site would come in handy for something eventually.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678