Bulbagarden sponsoring Pokéwalker study: Players encouraged to participate, help comm

Thread: Bulbagarden sponsoring Pokéwalker study: Players encouraged to participate, help comm

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Bulbagarden sponsoring Pokéwalker study: Players encouraged to participate, help comm

Bulbagarden sponsoring Pokéwalker study: Players encouraged to participate, help community at large

In order to provide better information to the Pokémon community, a user by the name of PokeWalkerProf has created a survey for users of the Pokéwalker in HeartGold and SoulSilver. The ultimate goal of the study is to find a more efficient way to gather watts than walking. Secondary goals are to find as many ways as possible to accumulate watts short of actually walking.

Read more on Bulbanews
    Last edited by Kevzo8; 19th March 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulbagarden sponsoring Pokéwalker study: Players encouraged to participate, help

That is a brilliant Idea!!!
    I would love to participate and contribute!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulbagarden sponsoring Pokéwalker study: Players encouraged to participate, help

Bulbagarden sponsoring childhood obesity: Players encouraged not to participate, help community be large

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by XD375 View Post
    Bulbagarden sponsoring childhood obesity: Players encouraged not to participate, help community be large
    lulz

People needa just walk, its not that hard to do.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

To figure out just what you gotta do though, is what to do.

Plus, think of the Pokémon fans in, oh, I dunno, wheelchairs. Think they can walk around and get watts by the hundreds?

We encourage exploration into the games themselves to see just what does what, like Giratina and what happens when a Ditto uses Transform on it...

Didn't people do this when it came out in September in Japan? Why's it so necessary to destroy the whole point of the peripheral. Yeah there are some in certain circumstances, but any back and forth motion can deal with it. I fail to see how a "study" is worthwhile
    I own Serebii.net and Serebii Forums, naturally.

Serebii's signature, now un-censored.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Didn't people do this when it came out in September in Japan? Why's it so necessary to destroy the whole point of the peripheral. Yeah there are some in certain circumstances, but any back and forth motion can deal with it. I fail to see how a "study" is worthwhile
    For once I have to agree with...him...people have already found ways to make this shit work without walking themselves such as putting it on pet collars, ceiling fan, etc. A whole "study/survey" is a giant waste of time. If you're not lazy, strap that thing to your shorts/sock go out and run/walk.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Studying Greek Mythology. KronosClownz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great, next Saturday I'll help.

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

If you have nothing constructive to say Serebii don't comment. Keep your bashing out of here.

Oh I'm sorry, I must not say anything if it contradicts the great Bulbagarden gospel. How dare I have an opinion and question something, something which other people have also done. Did you tell them not to? No. This is just picking on me because of who I am

What I said was constructive, just because you have a bias against me doesn't mean you can just attack me.
    I own Serebii.net and Serebii Forums, naturally.

Serebii's signature, now un-censored.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Because if you're one of those desk-jockies who don't get to move around much, a study for the American version might help if you don't have the imagination to actively do much then either let it rot in your pocket, or try shaking it with nothing happening.

'Cuz I can attest a "back and forth motion" isn't all there is to it. You can't shake it like the Pikachu pedometer and get results, since it's no longer about active and manipulated parts within the damn thing. What sort of motion will get results? And for the people who are frustratingly trying...does it hurt anyone to do this, and to have the attention of people who aren't running about elsewhere on the Pokeforum circuit.

A couple people wanted to do a study between two versions to maximize results for the people who aren't constantly walking and don't know the "exact" secrets, and for those who are active, and how much yield will get from doing so. They came to us, they asked if we could help, and we're helping. See, we like involving our community. We like engaging our community. We like having active participation in our community. We enjoy all that.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Luna Tiger; 20th March 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Whilst I think Serebii holds a good point, I think it's bulbagarden's job as a Pokemon fan-site to find out as much information about the Pokèwalker as possible - even if that be exploiting it as opposed to using it as the designers intended. So whilst I'm Anti-Exploitation, I'm certainly Pro-knowlege.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Cool. I might give my five cents into the project when that prize SoulSilver arrives :p

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    Whilst I think Serebii holds a good point, I think it's bulbagarden's job as a Pokemon fan-site to find out as much information about the Pokèwalker as possible - even if that be exploiting it as opposed to using it as the designers intended. So whilst I'm Anti-Exploitation, I'm certainly Pro-knowlege.
    Think of it this way: the only active way of getting the watts et al. is to be in constant motion...walking. I just spent about 40-50 minutes walking around my neighborhood and got approximately 4,500 steps. Minus the times I took it out, and stopped to try and catch something.

If your pet can be kept in motion for five minutes to get accurate data, all the more power to you and your pet whispering. If you can do a constant motion with your hands that works for five minutes, congratulations, you're /good/. But if it's you who's moving, and even if it's only your foot in a rhythmic tapping that you also don't stop for five minutes...*thumbs up*

Exploiting it means we're still doing something to do the measurements (save the tech-head cheaters who pop it open and find the source code and programming). If it's just you, you're still burning calories...maybe not as much as if you were simply walking, but hell. It's got you going if you can keep it up non-stop.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Keep Moving Forward MasterKenobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    To figure out just what you gotta do though, is what to do.

Plus, think of the Pokémon fans in, oh, I dunno, wheelchairs. Think they can walk around and get watts by the hundreds?

We encourage exploration into the games themselves to see just what does what, like Giratina and what happens when a Ditto uses Transform on it...
    You have a very good point there TTE. People that are disabled or work all the time are at a disadvantage which should be accounted for. If possible theories are though up and tested correctly this study should run smoothly.

I still do wonder what happens if a Ditto uses Transform on Giratina..

Done by the amazing Blazaking! ^^