Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

Thread: Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

It's a week of change for Bulbagarden. The first issue of our new e-zine, National Bulbagraphic, has been released for your reading pleasure. We are also planning to lock down the wikis to reconfigure our server settings. For full details, read on.

Read more on Bulbanews

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

I don't like the shipping articles in this e-zine, particularly the one titled, "The big 3."

There are no shipping wars in the fandom anymore, mostly because now when each girl leaves she pretty much only ever shows up once and then never again. Takeshi Shudo even confirmed on his blog that the only reason Pokeshipping existed was it, "helped justify Misty's existence" and "gave her something to do."

Although this line from the article amused me:

PokéShipping seems plausible enough from a realistic standpoint. Opposites attract, as the saying goes. As mentioned before, the Ship may have even been intended to be canon at some point, though this clearly is no longer the case.
    Couldn't be more true. If the show ended at Kanto it probably would have been one of those main character pairings. The fact that Shudo abandoned it in Johto (besides some brief moments) and then Misty was phased out of the anime entirely pretty much drives the point home.

I think the fact that Misty has not even had an episode appearance since 2005 and two entire generations ago back in mid-AG says a lot in itself. The show has moved on, and the shipping debates are over.

Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

Default Re: Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

Gliscor'd, a while back, there were Shipping "debate" threads periodically in the Shipper's Paradise. These threads often devolved into Shipping wars, and it became such a problem that those threads were eventually disallowed.

Also, the reason for all the Shipping articles was that in this issue's planning stage, it was meant to focus on Shipping, and those articles are remnants of that.

Shame you didn't like my article, but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am not saying the article was bad, it was well-written, I just don't think its as relevant now as it used to be. Any old shipping debate threads were bumped from ancient years like 2006 and 2007, and the ones older than that have long been locked.

There are no shipping wars anymore. Its obvious not everyone likes every ship, but nobody is going around trolling other pairings at this point.

As I said, once it became obvious that old main girls would never rejoin the cast and fade away to obscurity, like Misty, now May, and pretty much Dawn have, there's no reason to debate.

The only reason those debates existed back then is some people thought either:

a) The anime was going to end after Johto, hence Misty and Gary were the only viable pairings for Ash

b) The anime was going to bring Misty back to the fold at some point, but it became obvious to most this was never going to happen

c) That Dawn would remain as a permanent co-star, although plenty of people also knew this would never happen.

I haven't seen any bad shipping debates in Bulbagarden since pre-DP.

Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

Fair enough. I suppose it could've been a historical piece discussing the Shipping wars of old.

Was reading some articles from the e-zine and I have a minor suggestion to make: When writing an article, it's always a good idea to explain what you are writing about. I started reading "The Big Three" and was nothing but confused... I kept reading, assuming the context would begin to make itself clear, but it never did. When I finally went to Google and googled the words "shipping" and "fandom," finally it started to make sense. Not every Pokemon fan knows what "shipping" means, and it would've been helpful if that was explained at the beginning of the article instead of jumping right into the issue with no background information. Always assume that the reader is only slightly aware of what you're talking about. I understand this is a Pokemon website, so you shouldn't have to explain what a Diglett is everytime you mention one, but phrases outside the fandom that deal with specific sets of online subcultures and whatnot should probably be explained.

Unhappy Re: Bulbagarden launches new e-zine: Bulbapedia, Bulbanews to close temporarily

They should have updated the Bulbanews article about the lock extension. It is not 3 days. It's a lot longer than that.
    Hooray for the Fairy-type!

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LDEJRuff View Post
    They should have updated the Bulbanews article about the lock extension. It is not 3 days. It's a lot longer than that.
    Since it's locked, we can't update it. We're working to rearrange the servers as fast as we can without destabilizing them.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by LDEJRuff View Post
    I specified at least Tuesday on Bulbanews, and MAGNEDETH stated on Bulbapedia that it may take longer. I'm sorry we couldn't be more accurate. We hate having the site locked more than you do.
    The dark lord trombonator (trom)
    Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief, Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief, and Archives Advisor

Now blogging as 'idiosyncriticnz' at wordpress.com