All Generation IV English names leaked: Merrick accuses site of blackmail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Generation IV English names leaked: Merrick accuses site of blackmail

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default All Generation IV English names leaked: Merrick accuses site of blackmail

A GameFAQs message board user posted the full, official list of English Generation IV Pokémon names on the site's Pokémon Diamond forum today. Twenty-seven out of 107 Pokémon retain their Japanese names or variants of them.

Read more on Bulbanews

How did a GameFAQs member get ahold of this information?

Pokémon Capture Expert paperfairy's Avatar

That's what I was wondering! X_x

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Serebii's probably not the only one with a source. Or his computer was silently hacked, and the perpetrator lifted the info from wherever Serebii kept it (be it a .doc file or his email).

....I'll go with the first, thank you.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Registered User Arseus Ex Machina's Avatar

Let's hope for Arceus's sake that Joe can get himself a good lawyer.

P.S. Speaking of Arceus; my catchphrase, "Arceus's Cross", was starting to get on someone's nerves. Not the recognition I wanted my catchphrase to get.
    Last edited by Arseus Ex Machina; 14th March 2007 at 06:19 PM.

Cosmo: I've got two words for you: Mouthwash!

Wanda: Cosmo, "Mouthwash" is one word.

Cosmo: So I'll say it twice: Mouthwash mouthwash!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=203789

Read, point, and laugh.

Summary: he (and someone else who came along, independently of Serebii) was just engrossed over the hits on his web site; he's now accusing other people of tripping him up, and he's acting like someone has stabbed him or something.

I really don't understand anything...but I see WPM seems to be enjoying this. :P

I'd rather not laugh at him, he's going through enough as it is. The last thing Joe needs is people laughing behind his back.

He made a deal with someone and then was tricked into breaking it, can't you respect that?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

This is my hobby, and if some of you lot want to make me hate the times when I have to work on the hobby then so be it, it's really starting to piss me off and drive me away. I was actually enjoying this but meh. I ain't saying I'm quitting, I'm just apathetic at the moment because of the treatment I have received
    I wonder if he just copy-paste that, or actually bother to type it up again every time.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 14th March 2007 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eX.A.K.R. View Post
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=203789

Read, point, and laugh.

Summary: he (and someone else who came along, independently of Serebii) was just engrossed over the hits on his web site; he's now accusing other people of tripping him up, and he's acting like someone has stabbed him or something.
    I read, pointed, and just shook my head. He should be a man about his own actions and accept what happens when power like that backlashes.

He had a source. He chose to be the 'Champion of the Community' by introducing us to the names 'exclusively'. They leaked prematurely. He's involved with the problem. It's still partially his fault; he's no victim.

Had he decided to NOT to release them, play Jesus to NOA's God, it wouldn't be him trying to save face now by trying to be the Lamb in the jaws of the Lion. *shrug* Meh, whatever. Can't always predict the future.

I do love how we're one of the few communities where scandals are so possible; it makes everything exciting.

Realistically, if I could take back the posting of all the names I would, as the way people are interpreting it is that although I didn't leak them, to them I rushed to get them up and so I'm an arrogant jerk looking for hits, which is far from the truth. I received messages from a lot of people who said that they were enjoying waking up and finding new names, and I did enjoy providing that. I didn't do this for hits, it was to give the news in a cool way that allowed for people to absorb the names and to prompt a lot of cool discussion within the forums. Now with them all out, the discussion about individual names is at a minimum with people just focusing on what they feel is the best and worst rather than each one individually. I mean, do you actually see any discussion about Hippopotas or Finneon?
    Arceus's Cross! You guys ought to be ashamed of yourselves!!

who drew that ugly thing Porygon's Avatar

Well this is exciting!

Didn't the GS names get leaked early too?
    blogosphere

Oh I see. We shouldn't have all the names at once. And Serebii wasn't posting them one by one to get 107 individual hits from everyone who wanted to know the names.

He wanted us to make sure we could meditate and debate for a whole 24 hours about the depth and meaning of Lickilicky.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

who drew that ugly thing Porygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Oh I see. We shouldn't have all the names at once. And Serebii wasn't posting them one by one to get 107 individual hits from everyone who wanted to know the names.

He wanted us to make sure we could meditate and debate for a whole 24 hours about the depth and meaning of Lickilicky.
    It's pretty clear he was instructed to reveal these slowly, which is why he explains that he's unsure if he'd get in trouble for doing this.
    blogosphere

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Porygon View Post
    It's pretty clear he was instructed to reveal these slowly, which is why he explains that he's unsure if he'd get in trouble for doing this.
    He was probably instructed only to reveal the ones that were approved of by his source, in a 'okay, we've cleared this one and this one. Do as you like to your own discretion'. Serebii had the entire list (which would give ANYONE a headrush), but I suspect he was under a verbal oath (well, as verbal as one can be over the 'net) to only reveal the ones the source said were fit for public release.

But seriously, discuss Hippopotas?? How in the world are we supposed to?

"They chopped out the cow!"
    "Whaaaat?"
    "It's a hippopotamus, right?"
    "Duh."
    "Hippopotas is simply 'hippopotamus' without its 'mu'!"
    "...I don't know whether to hurt you for the joke or Them for being so absolutely lazy."

Yeah, totally a spiritual experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast