What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime?

Thread: What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime?

Question What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime?

I know this isn't likely or even plausible, but it's a nice start to a brainstorming session.

What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime, separate from the "official" anime (with Ash and Brock and Misty/May/Dawn) and from each other?

What would you love to see animated? What would you dread seeing? What changes would be made from the manga version to the anime version? Would there be English dubs, and if so, what could you see being edited in them? How do you think fans would react? Would new aspects of the franchise or the fandom pop up, and if so, what? What else could you see happening if this happened?

My thoughts:

- Pocket Monsters/RS/DP/HGSS (the one with Isamu) would never get an English dub, even though the Japanese censors will force them to change the nude scenes anyway.

- If they do make English dubs out of any of them, it might raise awareness of the mangas and therefore 1) increase sales of the already existing titles, and 2) encourage the publishers to translate more titles into English, including making re-releases of some old ones like Magical Pokémon Journey.

- It would make it easier for non-Japanese speakers to see the adventures of the manga characters that never made it across the Pacific, since watching subtitled anime episodes on sites like Crunchyroll and Hulu is easier than ordering the Japanese edition of the manga and having a Japanese person read it and translate it into English for you.

- It might make the Blue/Green mixup in Pokémon Adventures/Special even more confusing...

- If there were an English dub of Pokémon Adventures/Special, they'd definitely have to edit out all the Pokémon killing and the attempted murders of some of the characters (the Red and Blue vs. Koga scene comes to mind), and they'd most likely repeat the edit of the scene where Green hides the Poké Balls in her shirt.

- If there were an English dub of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure, they'd take out the references to Dialga and Palkia being called gods, and the scene where Hareta pees on Mitsumi's bag.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here for now. What else can you think of?
    This poster is a possessive May fangirl. May is not yours. Deal with it. :)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Here's a thought.

It depends on who dubs the anime. If it's say, Viz or Funimation then I seriously doubt they'd edit anything or reverse Blue and Green's names. If it was the Pokemon company then maybe, if it's the same rating as the main anime.

However with the nude scenes in PM..Just do a Zatch Bell and put some boxers on him, or maybe take that scene out, then put it uncensored in an uncut version.

I'd love to see Magical Pokemon Journey, DPA, Pokespe, and Pokewake be made into anime. PM looks like it would be a funny gag series too.

Most of them will probably be 12 - 30 episodes in length, minus Pokespe of course.
    Last edited by Somari; 16th August 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime

I think Pocket Monsters would make a great anime, actually.

Default Re: What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime

I would LOVE it if they made an anime for Yellow's journey. As awesome as Ash is, it would be nice to have a new protagonist after so long!

Depends on who makes it. Personally, I would MUCH prefer a Pokémon anime based on the manga than the current one. It would have to have a good animation studio pick it up to pull it off, though.

Hey, I would be immensely happy if they made such a series well and only released seasons once every couple of years. It'd be better than digging through a hundred filler episodes, at least.

追放されたバカ
    Keepin' mah prized red Duskull caged up?! Ya bet your ass.
    Blog Entries

If Madhouse and not OLM or Toei does the animations (fat chance, though), I'm all up for a Special anime, though not quite PM or DPA (let alone MPJ and EL).

Blog Entries

Pocket Monsters would be hilarious. Adventures sounds good in theory but is honestly probably more suited to be a manga. EToP is pretty much a manga spin of the normal anime, so it would just be weird.