I know this isn't likely or even plausible, but it's a nice start to a brainstorming session.
What if the various Pokémon manga series and oneshots each got made into an anime, separate from the "official" anime (with Ash and Brock and Misty/May/Dawn) and from each other?
What would you love to see animated? What would you dread seeing? What changes would be made from the manga version to the anime version? Would there be English dubs, and if so, what could you see being edited in them? How do you think fans would react? Would new aspects of the franchise or the fandom pop up, and if so, what? What else could you see happening if this happened?
- Pocket Monsters/RS/DP/HGSS (the one with Isamu) would never get an English dub, even though the Japanese censors will force them to change the nude scenes anyway.
- If they do make English dubs out of any of them, it might raise awareness of the mangas and therefore 1) increase sales of the already existing titles, and 2) encourage the publishers to translate more titles into English, including making re-releases of some old ones like Magical Pokémon Journey.
- It would make it easier for non-Japanese speakers to see the adventures of the manga characters that never made it across the Pacific, since watching subtitled anime episodes on sites like Crunchyroll and Hulu is easier than ordering the Japanese edition of the manga and having a Japanese person read it and translate it into English for you.
- It might make the Blue/Green mixup in Pokémon Adventures/Special even more confusing...
- If there were an English dub of Pokémon Adventures/Special, they'd definitely have to edit out all the Pokémon killing and the attempted murders of some of the characters (the Red and Blue vs. Koga scene comes to mind), and they'd most likely repeat the edit of the scene where Green hides the Poké Balls in her shirt.
- If there were an English dub of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure, they'd take out the references to Dialga and Palkia being called gods, and the scene where Hareta pees on Mitsumi's bag.
I could go on and on, but I'll stop here for now. What else can you think of?