DPA: What If DPA had Americanized names

Thread: What If DPA had Americanized names

Blog Entries

Default What If DPA had Americanized names

Just wondering was Hareta and co. would be renamed into if Viz went that route. I mean, they already use the game character's US names so why not rename the Manga characters? They didn't even name Jun Barry.

What are your ideas? What would Mitsumi be renamed to? Hareta? Koya? Not saying they should've but what if they had.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Default Re: What If DPA had Americanized names

These are just some of my guesses (except for Uranus). Names based on weather is not easy to think of.

Hareta - Rad (From radiant)
    Mitsumi - Aurora (Latin for dawn; aurora is also quite beautiful)
    Koya - Lucius (Another "light"-based name)
    Kaisei - Brill (From brilliant)
    K-2 (B-2) - Uranus (Because. Never gonna happen anyway...)

Blog Entries

Follow Juuchan17 on Tumblr Visit Juuchan17's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post
    These are just some of my guesses (except for Uranus). Names based on weather is not easy to think of.

Hareta - Rad (From radiant)
    Mitsumi - Aurora (Latin for dawn; aurora is also quite beautiful)
    Koya - Lucius (Another "light"-based name)
    Kaisei - Brill (From brilliant)
    K-2 (B-2) - Uranus (Because. Never gonna happen anyway...)
    For some reason, I approve of the first three... if only because I'm sure Hareta's dad would totally name him "Rad" [This is making me giggle just thinking about it!], Aurora works for Mitsumi [given her background and such], and Lucius for Koya just sounds... so mysteriously devious and sneaky for his character. And Brill for Kaisei just seems so... silly, but I get it. I'm not sure what I'd Americanize him to be called, but I'm sure it'd be something that seems to make him seem smarter than he really is [or something like that].

And yeah, the K-2/B-2 as Uranus is so appropriate yet it would never happen. [and yet they can clearly use Uranus in the Sailor Moon manga and make it okay. What the what, English manga?] I still don't understand how B-2 really worked myself, as I prefer K-2.

- Juuchan17

Completely Insane Fangirl Since Day ONE LiveJournal - DeviantArt - YouTube

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Juuchan17 View Post
    For some reason, I approve of the first three... if only because I'm sure Hareta's dad would totally name him "Rad" [This is making me giggle just thinking about it!], Aurora works for Mitsumi [given her background and such], and Lucius for Koya just sounds... so mysteriously devious and sneaky for his character. And Brill for Kaisei just seems so... silly, but I get it. I'm not sure what I'd Americanize him to be called, but I'm sure it'd be something that seems to make him seem smarter than he really is [or something like that].
    Actually, I'm just being over-creative with the names (again). I wanted the two to have related names, but looks different. However, I do admit that Brill is rather silly and sounds a bit forced.

And yeah, the K-2/B-2 as Uranus is so appropriate yet it would never happen. [and yet they can clearly use Uranus in the Sailor Moon manga and make it okay. What the what, English manga?] I still don't understand how B-2 really worked myself, as I prefer K-2.
    It's because the pun to butt is pointed out in the manga, so it would have been inappropriate. In the manga, it's apparently a spoonerism for "booty". As for Sailor Moon, I don't think there the reference to the behind was made and it was clearing referring to the planet.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

- Juuchan17
    Uh, you are aware the actual pronunciation for Uranus is "uhr-uh-nus" and not "your anus", right?

Blog Entries

Follow Juuchan17 on Tumblr Visit Juuchan17's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post
    Actually, I'm just being over-creative with the names (again). I wanted the two to have related names, but looks different. However, I do admit that Brill is rather silly and sounds a bit forced.

It's because the pun to butt is pointed out in the manga, so it would have been inappropriate. In the manga, it's apparently a spoonerism for "booty". As for Sailor Moon, I don't think there the reference to the behind was made and it was clearing referring to the planet.
    Brill is forced, but it could work, given Kaisei's character. Someone like him would be well-known with a brilliant name such as Brill... or maybe Billy Bob, just for laughs. XD

And as for the K-2/B-2 thing: Yeah, Sailor Moon's is referring to the planet, but weren't the names of the Team Galactic commanders the same way? Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto--- I mean, Charon? This is the only way I could see Uranus working for the grunt, though grunts usually wouldn't have planet names unless they got huge promotions [as unlikely as it was, but the main four got them somehow! More questions...]. Actually, it's a good thing they didn't stick with K-2, given the drug reference to the name within the past year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Uh, you are aware the actual pronunciation for Uranus is "uhr-uh-nus" and not "your anus", right?
    Of course, I know that... but being that this is a manga that's generally aimed for kids [being with the Viz Kids line and yet has its share of grown-up stuff], the kids would say it as the latter because boys [the obvious readers of Pokemon, though girls do read it too... me being one of them!] would enjoy it. And I wouldn't be surprised if Hareta was the obvious one to bring up the "your-anus" joke, given his mispronouncings throughout the series [Surface=Cyrus, Mabs=Mars... and others, I think?].

- Juuchan17

Completely Insane Fangirl Since Day ONE LiveJournal - DeviantArt - YouTube