SPECIAL: What did you think about the whole "Musha eating Black's dreams" schtick?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dogasu

Thread: What did you think about the whole "Musha eating Black's dreams" schtick?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default What did you think about the whole "Musha eating Black's dreams" schtick?

Remember how, at the beginning of the BW chapter of Pocket Monsters Special, Black would have trouble identifying whatever pokemon's attacking him? And how he'd need his Mun'na to attach itself to his head and eat his dreams so he can focus on the task at hand?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time this happened was in that Victini chapter that came out in Japan in August 2011. That was almost a year ago.

So what did you guys think about this little routine? Did you like it and think it gave Black this neat little quirk that set himself apart from the others? Or was it an annoying waste of time? And do you think we'll ever see him do it again?
    Last edited by Dogasu; 25th June 2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What did you think about the whole "Musha eating Black's dreams" schtick?

I haven't read the future Rounds of the BW saga, but I thought it gives him an interesting quirk. It's always interesting to see what kind of clues he sees after he got his dreams eaten, and what he does after that to solve the problem-of-the-round.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: What did you think about the whole "Musha eating Black's dreams" schtick?

Black's "Detective Time" was pretty cool imo, I liked that schtick because it gave Black something special like all the other Spe characters. Crys had her whole Pokemon capture thing, Yellow could communicate with and rejuvenate Pokemon, Green was a master stealer type, Gold had his whole pool stick thing and skateboard, Silver had nothing but was a thief I guess, so I think it's pretty cool and a nicely established way of catching and defeating Pokemon. Doing this allows him to think much more clearly, become smarter, and improve his perception. I wish it appeared more though. It'd be interesting to see White do it with her Uniran.

OSHAWHAT?

I thought it was nice, but I was hoping he'd soon learn to be able to think without using Musha. (Haven't read beyond the American releases though.)
    Seasons =/= Regions

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

I found it very interesting, and the way Black looks while doing it had a very nice-looking effect. (Although I think the hexagons are mostly for show)

I believe the reason he uses Musha less is because of character development. Ever since he met White and Cheren chewed him out during their first Gym battle, he's clearly thinking of other stuff as well. I even remember a point where he was going to use Musha for something, but stopped immediately after because he already figured it out.

Blog Entries

I always thought it was dumb myself, to be honest. You shouldn't have to rely on a Pokemon to refocus your attention on what's more important. It's called calming down from your mental rush and learning to pay attention. But I guess with Black's case, it's a little more serious if his scatterbrain'ness actually causes him to pass out. But to me, I just never got the whole point of it, and found it a little stupid to be honest.

The words he uses to describe it are also pretty off. Turning his mind from "blank white to solid black" never really made a whole sense to me. Wouldn't "blank white" be more synonymous with an empty mind, and not the opposite?

And then there's "Detective Time"... Just.... what, just what.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i liked the reactions of the standerbys of seein munna eat black's head. esp cheren when he was young. that person who made cherens facial expressions just won the internet in my opinion

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I loved it. It was something different about him, and it also allowed for you to try to guess what the pokemon was by it's shape in the hexagons, which I found hard to guess. I don't think anyone understands the blank white to black thing, but black and white are a reference to the chapter definitely.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

That's more of a translation quirk than anything else:

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu's Backpack
    There's a phrase in Japanese, atama no naka ga shiroku naru (頭の中が白くなる). The literal translation of this is "the inside of your head goes white," but we English speakers usually say something like "my mind goes blank" or "I've cleared my head" instead. In this series, Black's head goes "white" (「白」) before turning "black" (「黒」). Since "the inside of your head goes white" sounds strange to us native speakers, Viz had to change this to "Musha helps him wipe his mind blank...totally blank...blank."
    Isamu Akai likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Black is retarded in the manga, more retarded then I though he'd be, I thought White would be
    quirky and silly like Bianca, but atleast Black could be like silly but still a good pokemon trainer, I thought
    wrong >.>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    That's more of a translation quirk than anything else:

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu's Backpack
    There's a phrase in Japanese, atama no naka ga shiroku naru (頭の中が白くなる). The literal translation of this is "the inside of your head goes white," but we English speakers usually say something like "my mind goes blank" or "I've cleared my head" instead. In this series, Black's head goes "white" (「白」) before turning "black" (「黒」). Since "the inside of your head goes white" sounds strange to us native speakers, Viz had to change this to "Musha helps him wipe his mind blank...totally blank...blank."
    Well, you gave it a lot more sense than Bulbapedia's article did. :P I still don't understand "Detective Time" though.

Regardless, the whole shtick is still dumb to me.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

The first few times I thought it was okay, a little silly, but not that bad nor good. I haven't read much of the chapters, but I'm glad it didn't stick around since it was got old really quickly. I think it could of been interesting during certain situations rather than what it was used for in the beginning, but eh.
    "You're a true Samurai, being loyal to such a stupid Master." -Seijuro Hiko

not yet read BW saga but it sounds fun