REBURST: We're now a year into "Pocket Monsters RéBURST." What do you think of it so far?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Garren
  • 1 Post By Dogasu

Thread: We're now a year into "Pocket Monsters RéBURST." What do you think of it so far?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default We're now a year into "Pocket Monsters RéBURST." What do you think of it so far?

Pocket Monsters RéBURST is now year old! In that time, we've seen the introductions of all the main characters, had a training storyline, saw Hariru go from being a villain to being a not-as-much-of-a villain, learned some about Ryouga's past, and had a tournament that basically took up half the series.

So far, three graphic novels have been released with a fourth on the way.

Do you like the way the series has been going so far? And what are your hopes for Year Two?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We're now a year into "Pocket Monsters RéBURST." What do you think of it so far?

Honestly, if the reaction I've seen from domestic fans (or lack of it) is any indication, I'm surprised the series is still running. Not that I can blame them, though, since there's no way to read it outside of Japan (and, ahem, I've only seen translations of up to chapter 6), and you're pretty much the only site covering it. Still, I like what I see from the few chapters I've read and the pictures I've seen posted here, and I really hope it gets more love in its second year. But since it's a Shonen Pokemon aimed at younger kids, I'm afraid that Pokemon Special will still overshadow it because it's a seinen manga...

How's it doing in Japan, by the way? When I saw that Ryouga had already met the leader of GG in the Burst Tournament I was worried that the ratings had faltered and they were ending it prematurely by having Ryouga face off against the big-bad already. :P

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We're now a year into "Pocket Monsters RéBURST." What do you think of it so far?

I like it.

It's a fresh, new thing for the Pokemon franchise. I've always enjoyed ginjika's, but now we have an official manga.

I know the story isn't really anything to sneeze at, but hey, I'm here to see how clever the Burst designs can get.

My hopes for year two include: Miruto's group being revealed. (I'd like to see this Jake guy). The last of the Seven Warriors being revealed. Ryouga managing to use the other Burst Hearts he has. Miruto and Yappy managing to do things...

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

It's a fun manga and I find it a refreshing break from Special. (It's pretty much the reason why I keep coming back to the manga forum)

As for my hopes (aside from what Eitarou mentioned), I would like to see the other characters to appear. Also, I like to see more on the other six original Burst Hearts. In addition, I want to see Ryouga use more techniques.

Hopefully, it would continue to its third year and reach its 100th chapter.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I really like it. We've gotten some very entertaining characters like Hariru, Rendo, Carola, Karuta, Ryouga, Miruto, and I guess Yappy as well. All the characters work really well together and really hold my attention, the concept is very fresh as well. The designs are nice and some are pretty freaky but, other wise I really like them.

The Tournament was very good, I specifically enjoyed the ending where they all fight over the money and Hariru literally is like "over my dead body!" and says the money goes to Ryouga anyone who opposes will be fought to the death, and their all like "fuck it". The matches were clever, and the Burst were interesting. I do hope this manga gets more exposure since it seems like anything outside of PokeSpe isn't given much exposure at all.

I would really like to see it get translated, but since Viz seems to be pussy footing on getting the series and translating it, I'm just gonna start purchasing the Japanese Volumes.

Blog Entries

It's a good manga, but as a Pokemon adaptation? I'm not sure.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I don't really think it's fair to judge ReBURST on failing to do something it's not even trying to achieve in the first place. It never has, nor will it ever, make any attempts to adapt the storylines from the games.

And that's part of the reason I love it so much.
    Koukoubean likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Virus equals very yes Kinglerlord2's Avatar

I only learned about this reBurst business yesterday and just finished reading the first chapter (I've been out of the pokemon loop for a while). I have to say that I am VERY keen to continue reading to see where this goes because it shows a lot of promise! I hope that it carries on for some time yet because I think Pokemon was in need of something fresh and different.
    Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Go down there and light the bloody thing yourself!

WEASLEY IS OUR KINGLER!

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Thumbs up Re: We're now a year into "Pocket Monsters RéBURST." What do you think of it so far?

For my opinion, the RéBURST reads like the story is set in the 22nd century (a century after events of Black 2 and White 2), and also demonstrating new and futuristic technologies such as Burst techniques. The storyline is entirely fresh and unique, too. For the characters, Yappy's hairstyle is very unique, and every character designs in the manga are good. The manga storyline (maybe) also focuses on a legendary Pokémon, making the RéBURST unique to other Pokémon manga. The RéBURST also marks Pokémon's return to teenager's manga market (known as shōnen and/or shōjo manga market in Japan), after about a five-year hiatus since the discontinuation of Pocket Monsters Chamo-Chamo ★ Pretty ♪ manga series in 2006, despite being different in content (this manga is currently serializing in Weekly Shōnen Sunday instead of Ciao, which formerly serializing Magical Pokémon Journey (aka Pocket Monsters PiPiPi ★ Adventures) and Pocket Monsters Chamo-Chamo ★ Pretty ♪). I would like to see more characters and Pokémon revealed in the manga.

Among all Pokémon manga, I rate the Pocket Monsters RéBURST as the best manga because of these reasons. This also made me rate the Generation V Pokémon one of my favourite Pokémon Generations.