Viz Media License "Pokémon Black & White" Manga - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Viz Media License "Pokémon Black & White" Manga

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Default Re: Viz Media License "Pokémon Black & White" Manga

Well guys, looks like we finally have confirmation and some answers. http://www.kuri-ousity.com/2011/03/viz-media-elaborates-on-pokemon-black-white-release-info/comment-page-1/#comment-59181

I don't know how, but apparently Lissa Pattillo of Kuri-ousity.com passed on our questions and comments to Viz herself and she got an almost immediate response. Turns out it is the Black/White arc of Pokemon Adventures/Special being released, turns out they will be pulling the chapters from the magazines and compiling them into volumes, and turns out our speculation that the lower prices was because of smaller volumes was right. The volumes are expected to be roughly around 80-96 pages each (because of the limited number of chapters available right now) and two volumes will be released in July and two volumes will be released in November. (so...two volumes every five months?)

So we were right about everything pretty much. It is nice to have confirmation about it though. (although I still wish it wasn't happening)

Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    Ugh, I wonder how they will name the Pokemon.
    That's a good question. No idea, but I'm sure they'll probably change it around to accommodate the English names of the Pokemon. That said, I don't know if they'll follow Black and White's pattern of nicknaming yet or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    i did some crawling around the internet and i discovered that the cover image was fan-made by Kuri-ousity.com as a placeholder image for that website's article about the manga announcement. (the writer is assuming, like most of us have, that this is indeed Adventures BW chapter)

based on VIZ Media's press release summary, it does seem like it is Adventures, though, even though they haven't stated outright.
    I knew it was a place-holder image, but I didn't know it was fan-made. I thought it might be, but I wasn't for sure. It is nice to have some confirmation though. Hopefully Viz's covers for the volumes will be better.

And that's what I was thinking too. I don't know of any other manga with a girl named White who is a trainer of performing Pokemon, lol. Their bit about Black was kind of wrong though, they said he wanted to travel Unova and fill the Pokedex for Professor Juniper, but he actually wants to beat the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four/Champion. And I don't recall him mentioning anything about wanting to travel or filling his Pokedex so far either. But it's probably just Viz's typical taglines being their occasionally odd selves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I doubt Viz is stupid enough to try releasing the series in that format again. Graphic novels have been the industry standard for almost a decade now.
    I really don't know how else they would release the magazine chapters though if not in a single issue or similar kind of format. While graphic novels have been the industry standard for almost a decade now, there just aren't enough chapters in the magazines right now for them to release it in typical graphic novel format. And apparently you don't know Viz or it's intelligence as well as you think because apparently they are stupid enough to try releasing the series like that again. I agree with you though that it's stupid of them to repeat themselves like that, especially when it didn't work the first time so I don't really think it will now.

But, a lot of people are excited for BW Adventures though, so a lot of people may still buy it after all. I just hope this doesn't mean they won't release the actual volumes after they do one day come out in Japan though.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is, if the volumes are shorter to make up for a lack of material available, then why are we getting two volumes at a time? The combined length of those two volumes would equal that of a regular manga volume (or, just be a bit shorter).

I'm guessing the reason is, to make the books more appealing to children. If a book is only around 80-96 pages, it would look pretty thin so a child would be more likely to pick it up. However, if it was the standard 200-odd page length, it might look a bit intimidating.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I'm kind of confused about one thing about releasing the Black and White Adventures manga. Aren't there chapters added in from the magazine releases when they are released as separate volumes? Why would they bother trying to release it now when there's a good chance that the magazine wouldn't have the whole complete Black and White arc. I'm sure that they don't want to have a long wait so that kids playing the games now will be more interested in reading the manga, but it still might have been less complicated if they waited for the volumes to be released, especially since they already have a ton of Adventure volumes to release while they wait. Even so, it is kind of cool that we won't have to wait too long for the Black and White saga since I wasn't expecting that to come out until Viz finished the Ruby and Sapphire saga for some reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I'm kind of confused about one thing about releasing the Black and White Adventures manga. Aren't there chapters added in from the magazine releases when they are released as separate volumes? Why would they bother trying to release it now when there's a good chance that the magazine wouldn't have the whole complete Black and White arc. I'm sure that they don't want to have a long wait so that kids playing the games now will be more interested in reading the manga, but it still might have been less complicated if they waited for the volumes to be released, especially since they already have a ton of Adventure volumes to release while they wait. Even so, it is kind of cool that we won't have to wait too long for the Black and White saga since I wasn't expecting that to come out until Viz finished the Ruby and Sapphire saga for some reason.
    The licensors in Japan will give Viz Media the chapters in chronological order. I highly doubt they'd just give them the various magazines special is published in and say "have fun with it".

I agree that there is the problem of the manga possibly not finishing the arc in the magazines, and having to rely on the volumes (Like HeartGold and SoulSilver), but by then, Viz will be busy trying to promote the next games xD

War
    Blog Entries

Wait, I was right? That's a first.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    It is nice to have confirmation about it though.
    Indeed.

Here's my prediction for the names:

Poka-Tep
    War-Brav
    Musha and Tula obviously keep their names

As for Bubu-chan...well, I fear for her.
    Last edited by War; 10th March 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    The licensors in Japan will give Viz Media the chapters in chronological order. I highly doubt they'd just give them the various magazines special is published in and say "have fun with it".

I agree that there is the problem of the manga possibly not finishing the arc in the magazines, and having to rely on the volumes (Like HeartGold and SoulSilver), but by then, Viz will be busy trying to promote the next games xD
    I didn't think that they would not give Viz the chapters in chronological order. That definitely wouldn't make sense and hurt the sales for the U.S. releases. I just thought that the magazines wouldn't have all of the chapters contained like the volumes do. I was under the impression that the volume releases contain more chapters that didn't appear in the magazine run, similar to the situation with the HG and SS arc, which is why I'm questioning why Viz would bother to do something like this.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is, if the volumes are shorter to make up for a lack of material available, then why are we getting two volumes at a time? The combined length of those two volumes would equal that of a regular manga volume (or, just be a bit shorter).

I'm guessing the reason is, to make the books more appealing to children. If a book is only around 80-96 pages, it would look pretty thin so a child would be more likely to pick it up. However, if it was the standard 200-odd page length, it might look a bit intimidating.
    Good question. And you have a good point that the two of them combined would equal (or at least be close to) the length of an actual regular manga volume. But my guess is they still decided to separate them due to the number of pages varying for the releases, and also probably because they didn't want the volumes to be considered actual manga volumes. (since they aren't) They probably wanted it to feel more like a mini-issue of some of the reason chapters and by doing it this way it won't cause any problems when they release the actual BW volumes in a few years. (I mean if you think about it, if the chapters were combined into one book of the size of a regular manga volume, people might not think there is any need to buy the actual manga volume when it comes out)

And that's a good point about making it more appealing to child. That does make sense. Although their release of the actual manga volumes is targeting children too, so it might be something else since if that was the case then they'd probably try to release all the volumes like that. (like they used to)

Yes, yes there are. Actually there is a lot more than that that happens between the magazine and volume releases. Not only are there chapters added in, but there are also multiple image, dialogue and scene changes, occasional team changes, new scenes added entirely, chapters combined and cut into a smaller number of chapters, and many other changes that happen in the actual volume release of Special/Adventures that weren't included in the magazine version. That's one of the main reasons that (most) companies and people just get the volume version of Special instead of using the magazine version. And that's one of the main reasons that a lot of Special fans aren't happy about Viz releasing the "in-complete" chapters as miniature volumes. It just doesn't seem like a smart idea when you take all of that into account, especially when they'll still have to release the actual volumes later once they come out. (and since the actual volumes will probably cause ret-cons between their mini-volumes and the actual release) But Viz knows that the Black and White games were recently released here and care more about cashing in on the popularity than just waiting and doing better things with their Adventures release. (like speeding up the volume release so we get caught up quicker) And you're right that the magazines most likely won't have the complete Black and White arc, that's another reason why it's not too good of an idea either. And it definitely would have been a better idea and less complicated for them to just wait for the actual volumes to be released, especially since as you pointed out there are still plenty of other Special things that they should be giving priority right now instead. And that's about the only good thing about the release, and probably one of the main reasons they're doing it since they'll know people will buy it. I still don't like it though, but I'll wait to see what they're like and whether or not they'll still release the actual BW volumes when they come out before getting too upset. I still dislike the fact that Special's release here is getting even more messy, out-of-order and confusing here though.

And that's actually a fairly accurate estimate. Viz will finish their release of the Ruby and Sapphire saga near the end of 2012, and the actual Black and White volumes won't come out in Japan until about then, maybe a little later. (they probably won't come out 'til late 2012 at the earliest, if not early 2013. *which is actually even more likely*)

That's not the problem though. Of course Japan will give Viz the chapters in order, and even if they didn't it wouldn't really be a problem since the order is fairly obvious. (even the fans have been able to figure it out roughly so far) The problem is though that chapters are actually MISSING inbetween the magazine chapters, which is what is making things confusing and messing up the chronological order. So even if Viz has an idea of the order that still won't solve the missing chapter problem. (and no, Japan won't just give it to them either. It would have to be released in Japan first before they would be able to give it to others)

Actually, all the mangas "finish" in some form in the magazines (even HeartGold/SoulSilver did), but the problem is the release is not complete due to things like missing chapters and additional things being added and changed around in the volume releases. That's why it's best for them to keep the focus just on the volumes. Touching back on the magazine a bit more though, the only arc that never finished in the magazines was Platinum, but that was due to the magazine it was released in getting canceled before the arc could really get anywhere. (and since no other magazines picked it up, we've been having to wait for it to be completed via the volume release in Japan, and Japan has just STARTED their release of the arc via the volumes about a week ago) And that's true. xD The only thing though is in order for Viz to do that they'll have to wait for the arcs based on the next game to start in Japan, which usually isn't for a while after the games have been out there.

Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    Wait, I was right? That's a first.

Here's my prediction for the names:

Poka-Tep
    War-Brav
    Musha and Tula obviously keep their names

As for Bubu-chan...well, I fear for her.
    Yep! And well, congrats I guess. xD Although I wish you could have had your first time being right on something else though xD

And those predictions aren't bad! That very well could be the case if Viz doesn't follow Black's set pattern. :3 (his pattern for nicknames in the Japanese release is he names Pokemon after their evolutions, and/or tries to find a name that fits every member of their line) And yeah, I fear for Bubu-chan too. xD Actually I don't even know what they could name her...but if they adapt her name into English we'll probably get something sad like Pig-Piggy or Piggy...

I just thought that the magazines wouldn't have all of the chapters contained like the volumes do. I was under the impression that the volume releases contain more chapters that didn't appear in the magazine run, similar to the situation with the HG and SS arc, which is why I'm questioning why Viz would bother to do something like this.
    That's true actually. Your impression is actually the truth of the matter. In fact even in the B/W arc right now, there are chapters that take place inbetween the chapters we have now that are missing, which is part of the reason for the confusing and messed-up timeline. And I'm glad you realize this and are questioning their decision as well, as we all are. xD But obviously the answer is Viz just cares about focusing on the most recent pair of games' arc for more money, and to please the fans who are too impatient to wait for the proper volume release like they are supposed to.

Note: I hope this came out okay, had trouble getting a few parts of it out right. xD I'll definitely try to edit it into perfection later.

Blog Entries

I certainly do hope that Viz later on release the volumes as they are in Japan, with any edits and whatsoevers that occur. As I read on and on, it sounds even more like a bad idea - although I'd probably still buy it. I doubt Japan will be nice enough to give Viz the missing chapters, if by that time, they haven't been printed in Japan yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    Yes, yes there are. Actually there is a lot more than that that happens between the magazine and volume releases. Not only are there chapters added in, but there are also multiple image, dialogue and scene changes, occasional team changes, new scenes added entirely, chapters combined and cut into a smaller number of chapters, and many other changes that happen in the actual volume release of Special/Adventures that weren't included in the magazine version. That's one of the main reasons that (most) companies and people just get the volume version of Special instead of using the magazine version. And that's one of the main reasons that a lot of Special fans aren't happy about Viz releasing the "in-complete" chapters as miniature volumes. It just doesn't seem like a smart idea when you take all of that into account, especially when they'll still have to release the actual volumes later once they come out. (and since the actual volumes will probably cause ret-cons between their mini-volumes and the actual release) But Viz knows that the Black and White games were recently released here and care more about cashing in on the popularity than just waiting and doing better things with their Adventures release. (like speeding up the volume release so we get caught up quicker) And you're right that the magazines most likely won't have the complete Black and White arc, that's another reason why it's not too good of an idea either. And it definitely would have been a better idea and less complicated for them to just wait for the actual volumes to be released, especially since as you pointed out there are still plenty of other Special things that they should be giving priority right now instead. And that's about the only good thing about the release, and probably one of the main reasons they're doing it since they'll know people will buy it. I still don't like it though, but I'll wait to see what they're like and whether or not they'll still release the actual BW volumes when they come out before getting too upset. I still dislike the fact that Special's release here is getting even more messy, out-of-order and confusing here though.
    I thought I heard something about that for the magazine run for HeartGold and SoulSilver, so I thought that the magazine run for all of Special/Adventures differs from their volume release. I didn't know that they changed some of the images and dialogue though. Is it like that so that the people working on the manga can spend more time getting the final details out for the volume rush so that there's somewhat less time pressure for them to put out the entire story in the magazines? The more I think about it, the more I don't really like Viz's approach to releasing these incomplete version, as you accurately put, of the BW Adventures arc. Theoretically, releasing the most recent Adventure arc that focuses on the successful new games makes a lot of business sense. They obviously want to capitalize on the success of the new games by providing reading material for fans to see these new Pokemon and characters advancing through their specific region, catching Pokemon and facing off against the villains like they do while playing the game.

The problem really does come down to all of the changes that you mention are the result of putting the chapters in the volumes, which make them really different from the magazine version. If there weren't that many changes between the two versions, I don't think that this would have been a bad approach to releasing the new Adventures arc. Even though, as you also mentioned, it would have still made the releases for Adventures messy and out-of-order, but at least we wouldn't worry about if they would release them again once the volumes are released. Even with having technically having volume 30 being the first volume of Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, the fact that most of that arc is already released in volume in Japan and doesn't have a lot of connections/references to pass sagas like Gold and Silver arc does makes it less confusing than this release for the BW saga. Plus, didn't they just start the BW Special in Japan a few months ago? I don't know if they would have a lot of material to release by the time July comes around. I doubt that they would get the completed missing chapters from Japan before they're released in volume form, even though that would be kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad
    And that's actually a fairly accurate estimate. Viz will finish their release of the Ruby and Sapphire saga near the end of 2012, and the actual Black and White volumes won't come out in Japan until about then, maybe a little later. (they probably won't come out 'til late 2012 at the earliest, if not early 2013. *which is actually even more likely*)
    I didn't think it would take them that long for Japan to start releasing the BW saga in volume form. While the wait would be kind of a shame to wait that long, as already mentioned, it would be less complicated and they would be saving money in the long run by not releasing these incomplete forms of the story and then releasing them again in volume form, assuming that they'll actually do that once the volumes are released in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad
    That's true actually. Your impression is actually the truth of the matter. In fact even in the B/W arc right now, there are chapters that take place inbetween the chapters we have now that are missing, which is part of the reason for the confusing and messed-up timeline. And I'm glad you realize this and are questioning their decision as well, as we all are. xD But obviously the answer is Viz just cares about focusing on the most recent pair of games' arc for more money, and to please the fans who are too impatient to wait for the proper volume release like they are supposed to.

Note: I hope this came out okay, had trouble getting a few parts of it out right. xD I'll definitely try to edit it into perfection later.
    I'm actually curious about this idea about the fans being too impatient to wait for the proper volume releases. Is Pokemon Adventures really in that high of a demand? I love Pokemon, I really enjoy reading the Pokemon Adventures and I'm especially happy that Viz started to release the title again after it didn't work out so many years ago, but I'm not sure if it's really a high priority to get to the recent arc as soon as possible. I don't think that it's as popular as say One Piece or Naruto, both titles which did have more volumes released at a faster pace in order to get closer to where Japan is right now with those series if I recall correctly. I understand that they want to get more money by releasing titles connected to the recent games, but if they really wanted to get closer to that arc, it definitely would have been better to just have more volumes released every couple of month. Like we both mentioned earlier, they have a lot of other Special/Adventure volumes to work on instead of going straight to an unfinished version of the BW saga.

Though, I guess this does show that Pokemon Adventures does sell well enough considering that they're willing to release three different sagas at around the same time. I'm not sure if I'll get this since I would prefer actual volume releases for this saga. Not to mention I already buy their other Pokemon Adventure titles and various Yu-Gi-Oh! series from Viz. I'll wait and see what it looks like and how many chapters it contains before I buy one.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I'm actually curious about this idea about the fans being too impatient to wait for the proper volume releases. Is Pokemon Adventures really in that high of a demand? I love Pokemon, I really enjoy reading the Pokemon Adventures and I'm especially happy that Viz started to release the title again after it didn't work out so many years ago, but I'm not sure if it's really a high priority to get to the recent arc as soon as possible. I don't think that it's as popular as say One Piece or Naruto, both titles which did have more volumes released at a faster pace in order to get closer to where Japan is right now with those series if I recall correctly. I understand that they want to get more money by releasing titles connected to the recent games, but if they really wanted to get closer to that arc, it definitely would have been better to just have more volumes released every couple of month. Like we both mentioned earlier, they have a lot of other Special/Adventure volumes to work on instead of going straight to an unfinished version of the BW saga.
    EDIT: wait, i think i misunderstood, if you're referring to "are people so impatient that they must have short volumes as opposed to complete volumes within a year or two", in which case, what i said below doesn't make much sense XD (but i'll leave it there anyways)
    ------------
    while i agree with you, i do see a lot of bitching about VIZ's publication of the series being "too far behind" and so on, if you can believe that. (i guess people got used to Chuang Yi being fairly close to Japan) though at the same time a lot of people also bitch about the Diamond & Pearl chapter being split off as a second series, so i dont think anybody's happy as far as this manga is concerned.

what's hilarious though is that almost everybody who bitches about this manga was so excited when it was licensed like, two years ago. i remember a time when we never thought it was going to be relicensed at all :P (or when we were stuck with those "The Best of Pokémon Adventures" lol ew)

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    EDIT: wait, i think i misunderstood, if you're referring to "are people so impatient that they must have short volumes as opposed to complete volumes within a year or two", in which case, what i said below doesn't make much sense XD (but i'll leave it there anyways)
    ------------
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't think that Pokemon Adventures is in such a high enough demand that fans would prefer these short incomplete books over the full volumes. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus
    while i agree with you, i do see a lot of bitching about VIZ's publication of the series being "too far behind" and so on, if you can believe that. (i guess people got used to Chuang Yi being fairly close to Japan) though at the same time a lot of people also bitch about the Diamond & Pearl chapter being split off as a second series, so i dont think anybody's happy as far as this manga is concerned.

what's hilarious though is that almost everybody who bitches about this manga was so excited when it was licensed like, two years ago. i remember a time when we never thought it was going to be relicensed at all :P (or when we were stuck with those "The Best of Pokémon Adventures" lol ew)
    I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of people don't like how we're so far behind the Japanese releases. I actually don't mind the Diamond and Pearl arc being treated as a second series. I can understand why that would bother people as Viz could have had faster and more frequent releases until they caught up with Japan, or close enough to the last volume that was released there, as they did with other popular manga titles. Still, it does give them a chance to release something more recent than the Gold and Silver arc. I remember when people were happy that Pokemon Adventures was being released again too, so I can see the ironic humor with the reactions for this situation. I can still see the good in this situation and it does make me think that the sales for Pokemon Adventures is pretty darn good. If it wasn't for the magazine version of the arc to be different from the volume version, I'd be totally on board with this approach.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I actually don't mind the Diamond and Pearl arc being treated as a second series.
    neither do i, i think its a great idea and i don't get why some folks got into a shit fit over it. D:
    the B&W thing, however actually makes sense to be concerned about because there's a chance we could get the manga incomplete (or at least not the same as the final version in Japan) as opposed to having them, uh... numbered differently? :P

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

There is a chance that VIZ knows what is going on and are doing this like a magazine, only to have the 'final' volume versions published as a whole. But that's just me.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, like how they do in Japan.

Although I do wonder why we're only getting Special with other series out there to release. Now that DPA is over, the only thing other than Special we have is the Arceus movie manga. We don't even know if we're getting the Zoroark one, do we?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I think it's a pretty safe bet, though. At worst, we'll get it late like we did the Manaphy adaptation.

I feel like Reburst has the best chances of getting picked up next.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast