Unofficial Pokemon Books and Magazines
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Unofficial Pokemon Books and Magazines

  1. #1

    Default Unofficial Pokemon Books and Magazines

    Anyone own an unofficial book concerning the franchise? Dozens, if not hundreds were published back in the day. Some of them are ridiculous in what they say. I personally own "Pokemon Fever: The Unauthorized Guide" by Hank Schlesinger (nothing of note here), and recently ordered this gem: Pokemon Trainer's Survival Guide.

    That one was published in two editions, the second of which covered Pokemon Yellow and, for some reason, added on three more writers.

    Anyone else got something? I'm curious if anything else unusual turned up at the time, especially if it resorted to using fake Pokemon on the cover. haha
    Last edited by SmearglePaints; 23rd January 2010 at 02:58 AM.

  2. #2
    ★ Prince of Ampora ★ Takoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South-East England
    Posts
    2,390
    Blog Entries
    8
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    No but damn I wish I did, books like that look hilarious to read.

    ~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

  3. #3
    Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,478
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    You're going to love it. It's hilarious and has a ton of mistakes in it.

    Besides my own copy of that book, I don't really own anything besides a couple of stray magazines. Beckett, Pojo, et al.

  4. #4
    Registered User Showsni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    404

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    I've got "Pokémon Gold and Silver: The Guide!" published by Paragon; also featuring Red, Blue, Snap and Stadium. It was a freebie that came with the Pokémon World magazine, I think; though I actually found it outside on the ground in the rain, and took it home with me. Full of cheerful advice like "Now it's a nasty boulder puzzle for you, young feller-me-lass." "Not this poncy Dragon-flaunting fool agan!" and "It may be worth persevering though, as two Pikachus can get you that most desirable of the Gold and Silver bunch, a little Pichu! If you want to know how one of these is born, ask your Dad."

    "Only hours and hours and hours and hours of ceaseless battling will allow you to take on the might of the Red and finally beomce the Ultimate Pokémon Master! But trying telling that to your mum when she's calling you down for tea, eh?"

    Wow, I just noticed that they nicknamed their Cyndaquil "BITCH."

    Looks like the players were called either GOLD or JEM. There's a Seaking nicknamed SEMPRINI, something nicknamed SHUGGY JOE, Pidgeotto nicknamed CUMBERBILL, then four nicknamed MITCH, MOTHER, DOLLY (Ampharos) and CLIVE (Weepinbell), a Graveller called DEREK, then some boxed Pokémon called SCHIZO!, VALERIE, SPROGFACE, DUDLEY and PETER (Sudowoodo). Hey, later on Typhlosion is nicknamed ITCH (ITCH with a space in front)... Guess the editor saw it?

    The Red/Blue guide has Sparky the Raichu, Paul the Kadabra and WINKIE the Wartortle/Blastoise. Hehe. Winkie.
    Last edited by Showsni; 21st January 2010 at 02:54 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    You're going to love it. It's hilarious and has a ton of mistakes in it.

    Besides my own copy of that book, I don't really own anything besides a couple of stray magazines. Beckett, Pojo, et al.
    I really think I will. Someone mentioned it on deviantART, and I was wondering what the hell he was talking about, because he said the Pokemon he drew was based on the one on the cover... So I looked it up and hella freaked out, because I remembered it!

    I saw it at Wal-Mart, but never got to do more than skim through it. Now I can own it, all thanks to being adult with money. haha I ordered it for only $1, but it was about $4 shipping-and-handling. How they get you every time.

    I'm also interested in magazines, though, particularly ones printed between 1998-2000. Anyone have anything, either official or unofficial, that's either entirely dedicated to Pokemon or has a few big articles?

  6. #6
    ★ Prince of Ampora ★ Takoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South-East England
    Posts
    2,390
    Blog Entries
    8
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    I've got "Pokémon Gold and Silver: The Guide!" published by Paragon; also featuring Red, Blue, Snap and Stadium. It was a freebie that came with the Pokémon World magazine, I think; though I actually found it outside on the ground in the rain, and took it home with me. Full of cheerful advice like "Now it's a nasty boulder puzzle for you, young feller-me-lass." "Not this poncy Dragon-flaunting fool agan!" and "It may be worth persevering though, as two Pikachus can get you that most desirable of the Gold and Silver bunch, a little Pichu! If you want to know how one of these is born, ask your Dad."

    "Only hours and hours and hours and hours of ceaseless battling will allow you to take on the might of the Red and finally beomce the Ultimate Pokémon Master! But trying telling that to your mum when she's calling you down for tea, eh?"

    Wow, I just noticed that they nicknamed their Cyndaquil "BITCH."

    Looks like the players were called either GOLD or JEM. There's a Seaking nicknamed SEMPRINI, something nicknamed SHUGGY JOE, Pidgeotto nicknamed CUMBERBILL, then four nicknamed MITCH, MOTHER, DOLLY (Ampharos) and CLIVE (Weepinbell), a Graveller called DEREK, then some boxed Pokémon called SCHIZO!, VALERIE, SPROGFACE, DUDLEY and PETER (Sudowoodo). Hey, later on Typhlosion is nicknamed ITCH (ITCH with a space in front)... Guess the editor saw it?

    The Red/Blue guide has Sparky the Raichu, Paul the Kadabra and WINKIE the Wartortle/Blastoise. Hehe. Winkie.
    Hahahahaha. Holy shit. I have that book! I got it with Pokémon World years ago, and I still have it lying around.
    I remember cause when I was little, I crossed out the nickname "BITCH" or changed it to like "ITCH" or something so my Mum wouldn't know I had a book with "bad words" in it xD I never really read the book though fully.

    Also, if we're counting those books. I have another one from Pokémon World, which is a guide to Pokémon Colosseum, and it's actually really good. It helped me through the game when I was playing it, as it told you how to get items, and when a big battle was coming up and stuff. I can't remember if it had any mistakes in it or not though.

    ~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    A few of you have made mention of Pokemon World magazine... Do any of you have some of the very earliest issues, from like the beginning?

  8. #8
    is watching you Lil Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    2,505
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    Haha, I remember seeing that. Best, most bizzare cover ever. I have a book by the same company, thePokémon Trading Card Game Player's Guide. It has tips of photographing all the Pokémon and hidden signs in Snap, which helped me a decade later when I downloaded Snap on the Wii. :3

    Mmm, yeah, back in the day I accumulated quite the collection of these kinds of things... no idea where they are, though. I do remember one of them dubbed Marril "Pikablu", though. And I was shocked back in the G/S days to look through them again and find images of the preview Gen 2 Pokémon before they had been revealed outside Japan, and wondered how in the world I had never noticed them before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Showsni
    I've got "Pokémon Gold and Silver: The Guide!" published by Paragon; etc. etc.
    That sounds glorious.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

    IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    The Pokemon Trainer's Survival Guide later released a second-edition, with added information on Yellow and some corrections. It featured yet another fake version of Charizard, and a trainer that looks suspiciously like Kris.

    Here it is:



    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother View Post
    Mmm, yeah, back in the day I accumulated quite the collection of these kinds of things... no idea where they are, though. I do remember one of them dubbed Marril "Pikablu", though. And I was shocked back in the G/S days to look through them again and find images of the preview Gen 2 Pokémon before they had been revealed outside Japan, and wondered how in the world I had never noticed them before.
    THIS. Any idea if you still have those magazines, or are they likely to have been lost or thrown out. If so, any idea what magazine it was?

  10. #10
    Badass office lady Nekusagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,844
    Blog Entries
    202

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    I have the Yellow guide and both the TCG Guides from Gamebooks. They're amazingly bad and amateurish, like some kid decided to turn his Angelfire site into a book.

    I keep them for nostalgia and the lulz. Those things made me a popular kid at school for a while. Also they're good reference material (the fossil one, at least- it's a checklist of sorts of the really rare Japanese promos).
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network


    A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    From what I've gathered the Gamebooks guides were written around the beginning of the phenomenon, before it really took off. I kind of want to get the Yellow edition, if only for the cover, but it's hard to find online. I can only find the first edition, and I don't want to risk ordering for the Yellow one because both technically have the same title and I might get the first again.

  12. #12
    is watching you Lil Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    2,505
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    THIS. Any idea if you still have those magazines, or are they likely to have been lost or thrown out. If so, any idea what magazine it was?
    Sad to say, if I had to bet they're probably long gone... but they may be hiding out in the attic or my closet or somewhere. I'll try and check it out this weekend. :P

    And these not-Pokémon are awesome.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

    IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    I'd really appreciate a look around. I've heard of Marill being referred to as Pikablu in a magazine before, but the exact magazine wasn't known. My friend said she saw an article on "Pikablu" with codes to get it in RB alongside the pink Mariru concept artwork. She thought it was in Pokemon World UK, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

    And yeah. Funny what they came up with to avoid lawsuits. haha

  14. #14

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!


  15. #15

    Default Re: Bootleg, Counterfeit, and Unofficial Books!

    Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    I own the other Schlesinger book, Pokemon Fever, and I've always wondered what his other Pokemon book was like. Anything fun?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •