Strange/annoying things in the manga - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange/annoying things in the manga

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Strange/annoying things in the manga

I was shocked to hear the word "Sexy" on Fairly Odd Parents. While they may not keep those exact words, I doubt they'd remove the actual action.

They changed Misty's line about thinking that Red was groping her.

And then they kept the Tentacool line in the newspaper.

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Noctowl View Post
    Except that in this case it has a sexual connotation (Gold's line is, "Who's this sexy lady?").
    So? All they have to do is change the line - "Who's this hotty?" would suffice. Besides it's a gag panel anyway. It's up to the translator, and the person who came up with that probably didn't think there are easier, more acceptable ways to do it instead of translating it literally. One con for the Singapore version.

Anyway...

Adventures/Special: I always hate it how everyone always brings up lame reasons why English translated versions of this series sucks/will suck because of the censorship - which is necessary of course, seeing how this is released under the VizKids line. Then people bring up situations from the series that will almost always be censored in their minds, like Archie's line being "Die and go to hell." You realize that there are many ways to translate that and still sound good to fit the target demographic? And then the fans act like one censored scene will ruin the entire manga, or one censored threat, etc.

My second pet peeve is when people make Adventures/Special out to be this DARK AZZ POKEYMAN STORY FER OLDER PPL. No, guys. Adventures/Special is for the same audience in Japan as it is in America: KIDS. They just have differing opinions in what is acceptable for children to see and what's not than we do.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can see it as "And who's this?" and flying easily past the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    So? All they have to do is change the line - "Who's this hotty?" would suffice. Besides it's a gag panel anyway.
    It would still have the same general connotation.

Adventures/Special: I always hate it how everyone always brings up lame reasons why English translated versions of this series sucks/will suck because of the censorship - which is necessary of course, seeing how this is released under the VizKids line. Then people bring up situations from the series that will almost always be censored in their minds, like Archie's line being "Die and go to hell." You realize that there are many ways to translate that and still sound good to fit the target demographic? And then the fans act like one censored scene will ruin the entire manga, or one censored threat, etc.
    The censorship is unnecessary because on the few occasions they miss something (like the Tentacool line), absolutely no one complains. DPA left Mitsumi's attempted suicide and Palmer's apparent pedophilia intact; the BlueGreen vs. Sabrina fight in Pokespe wasn't as objectionable.

My second pet peeve is when people make Adventures/Special out to be this DARK AZZ POKEYMAN STORY FER OLDER PPL. No, guys. Adventures/Special is for the same audience in Japan as it is in America: KIDS. They just have differing opinions in what is acceptable for children to see and what's not than we do.
    That's not about the manga itself. But anyway, it is relative to the anime (though that isn't hard to do). Besides, if you think that Pokespe is for two-year-olds, why do you read and discuss it?

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

It would still have the same general connotation.
    Yet, it still avoids being as "hardcore" as it originally/you originally had it sound. Hm, the wonders of the English language...

The censorship is unnecessary because on the few occasions they miss something (like the Tentacool line), absolutely no one complains.
    There's a difference between being blatantly obvious and having crap fly past the radar. The thing is there's the chance that they can always just think the "crap flying past the radar" wasn't intended to be negative at all.

That's not about the manga itself. But anyway, it is relative to the anime (though that isn't hard to do). Besides, if you think that Pokespe is for two-year-olds, why do you read and discuss it?
    Um, because I like Pokemon? The entire franchise is geared towards kids, too. If that's so, why are you even here?[/YourLogic] See? That doesn't work when you put it another way. Be sensible, if Pokemon Special wasn't geared towards ten-year olds, it wouldn't be in CoroCoro, it'd probably be in one of the Jump books or Monthly Shonen -Something-.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Um, because I like Pokemon? The entire franchise is geared towards kids, too. If that's so, why are you even here?[/YourLogic] See? That doesn't work when you put it another way.
    So why are you here if that's what you think?

Pokémon White

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I'm just not a fan of censorship, so really any censorship in the manga annoys me.

Though when it's censored for biological reasons... yeah, I can understand that.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

So why are you here if that's what you think?
    It's not what I think, it's your logic, :). Also, just because it's geared towards kids doesn't mean older people can't read it. If an educational class is geared towards men, does that mean women can't take part in it? No.

It's not what I think, it's your logic, :).
    Why would you be here at all if Pokémon is only for two-year-olds, as you claimed in your original post?

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

Why would you be here at all if Pokémon is only for two-year-olds, as you claimed in your original post?
    I never said it was "only," I said it was "geared towards." Huge, huge, huge difference. Please stop putting words in my mouth, sir.

I never said it was "only," I said it was "geared towards." Huge, huge, huge difference. Please stop putting words in my mouth, sir.
    Even if you only count "geared towards", it's still 6-10 rather than 2.

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

Even if you only count "geared towards", it's still 6-10 rather than 2.
    ?

Excuse me, but what are you on about? I never even said it was for 2-year olds in the first place, I figured that was your attempt at exaggerating. I said it was geared towards ten-year olds. You may want to read over all of my posts to clear up any misguided illusions you may have about what I'm actually saying and what you're thinking.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and Palmer's apparent pedophilia
    To be fair, Mitsumi's apparently legal, being considerably older than her game counterpart. She looks to be about 16-18.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mask Marauder View Post
    To be fair, Mitsumi's apparently legal, being considerably older than her game counterpart. She looks to be about 16-18.
    She's still only a teenager. In other words, not an adult.

Pokémon White

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast