Should there be a Pokemon live action movie? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should there be a Pokemon live action movie?

Default Re: Should there be a Pokemon live action movie?

Nah. Even if the writing and whatnot was good, the pokemon would just look too bad to take the movie seriously.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

They would certainly look different, but not necessarily bad. Take a look at these drawings; admittedly, some of them are pretty ugly, but others aren't bad at all.

25 INCREDIBLE Realistic Pokemon Drawings | SMOSH
    25 Disturbingly Realistic Pokemon | SMOSH

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

A live-action Pokémon movie would work about as well as a game with Skyrim graphics tbh... AKA not very well. These creatures were meant to be cartoony and childish. Making them live action (or Skyrim-graphic'd) would take away all of that beauty and just make them into ridiculous CGI abominations. I'd be here for it if it was done like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" though. That'd be cool. Or a completely CG movie. But not following the games or anime. I'd like to see it follow Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Time/Darkness/Sky tbh. That plot had to be the best plot of any Pokémon game I've played.

I'm going to say no, simply because they tried to do the same with Gundam, and that was horrifically disappointing.
    SPACE: It's overwhelming and just doesn't end. I think I'm gonna be sick.

Follow King Fissamé On Twitter

No, these Pokemon where meant to be cartoonish, and besides, it will look ridiculous
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic75427_4.gif

Blog Entries

Noooooooooo. No. No.

Pokemon were designed to be cartoony. They just wouldn't look good in live-action. Need I remind you of Dragonball Evolution?
    Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me.

Blog Entries

You people sure are assuming a lot based on films that have nothing to do with Pokémon whatsoever. Just saying.

~I am a huge nerd~ TheBeatlesPkmnFan42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 On Twitter Add TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Google+
    Follow TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Tumblr Visit TheBeatlesPkmnFan42's Youtube Channel

I'd really only be interested if it were a Japanese live-action movie, seeing as it'd be more likely to have the creators have some control over it. Plus, not all live-action movies based on video games are like the horrible Super Mario Brothers movie. The Ace Attorney movie was good.

I'd prefer that the Pokemon would be hand-drawn or CG that's similar to X and Y graphics or the graphics that the console games use.
    Last edited by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42; 29th March 2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: fixed wording
    Sonansu is best Pokemon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 View Post
    I'd prefer that the Pokemon would be hand-drawn as opposed to CGI, as that'd probably look better. Either that or similar to the graphics of X and Y.
    Let me just ask, if the Pokémon themselves are still going to be traditionally animated/cel-shaded, what's the point of making it a live-action movie? Look, it worked in Who Framed Roger Rabbit because they made a clear in-universe distinction between the "real" people and "Toons". With Pokémon, there's no reasonable in-universe explanation for the titular monsters to be very obviously animated in comparison to the rest of the world. It'd just bring up way too many unnecessary questions.

People keep saying that the "cartoony" quality is part of the monsters' charm, and that trying to give them more "realistic" designs would turn them into, among other things, "CGI abominations". That particular phrasing just sounds, to me, like a bias against CGI on the whole, really. I say this: it is possible to retain something of that "cartoony" quality while still making them look like they belong in the same world as the physical actors. Take a look at Draco from Dragonheart—though very realistic for the most part, his reptilian eyes still possess a curiously human quality, and he still manages to look as though he belongs. Applying the same effect to Pokémon couldn't possibly be all that hard.

~I am a huge nerd~ TheBeatlesPkmnFan42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 On Twitter Add TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Google+
    Follow TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Tumblr Visit TheBeatlesPkmnFan42's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 View Post
    I'd prefer that the Pokemon would be hand-drawn as opposed to CGI, as that'd probably look better. Either that or similar to the graphics of X and Y.
    Let me just ask, if the Pokémon themselves are still going to be traditionally animated/cel-shaded, what's the point of making it a live-action movie? Look, it worked in Who Framed Roger Rabbit because they made a clear in-universe distinction between the "real" people and "Toons". With Pokémon, there's no reasonable in-universe explanation for the titular monsters to be very obviously animated in comparison to the rest of the world. It'd just bring up way too many unnecessary questions.

People keep saying that the "cartoony" quality is part of the monsters' charm, and that trying to give them more "realistic" designs would turn them into, among other things, "CGI abominations". That particular phrasing just sounds, to me, like a bias against CGI on the whole, really. I say this: it is possible to retain something of that "cartoony" quality while still making them look like they belong in the same world as the physical actors. Take a look at Draco from Dragonheart—though very realistic for the most part, his reptilian eyes still possess a curiously human quality, and he still manages to look as though he belongs. Applying the same effect to Pokémon couldn't possibly be all that hard.
    I suppose I worded my post incorrectly. What I meant is that I'd be fine with CGI, so long as it looked somewhat like that of the graphics of X and Y, meaning like they normally do, just more 3D. Similar to the console games. I meant I don't want them to look realistic like in that one fanmade trailer, but again, I worded my post incorrectly.
    Sonansu is best Pokemon

Blog Entries

....they didn't look realistic in that fanmade trailer, they looked either like their console game models or like genetics lab rejects. Seriously, that was the ugliest Pikachu I think I've ever seen. Did you look at that thing's feet? What was at all mouse-like about those?

Mewtwo might have been passable, though still not how I imagine a cinematic Mewtwo to look.

If a live action pokėmon movie was made, I would like it to be similar to pokemon origins and follow the story of gen 1 and how Red became champion and how he defeated team rocket. How the pokėmon would be made using CGI or puppetry or whatever would have to be a major concern during production. I think pokėmon like pikachu would be easily pulled off by puppetry but the likes of charizard would have to be CGi. This is just my own opinion and if a live action pokėmon movie were to be made I'd go and watch it!

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd rather not, the Pokémon might fall under the "Uncanny Valley".
    Official Claimer of Mii Fighter (Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U)
    3DS Code: 0860 - 3581 - 9005

Returning to Hoenn LavenderTownGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, I'd rather there be an anime movie based off of PokeSpe, instead. At least it'd be more interesting, even though it'd be hard to fit all of that into one movie. Still, live action movies usually don't go over so well for me.
    "Halloween is every day!" -Sharon Needles

Banner made by Instrutilus

Some things are just better left in the world of animation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast