Should there be a Pokemon live action movie? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Should there be a Pokemon live action movie?

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Default Re: Should there be a Pokemon live action movie?

While chances of it sucking would be pretty good, It could work in the right hands, I just hope it doesn't get stupid overloaded CGI and too much 3D effects.

CG movies would be far better IMO, makes me think of the Resident Evil CG films (Degeneration and Damnation) while the Live-Action RE movies suck hardcore in the story and characters department, the CG movies (Damnation in particular) have a nice blend of those and action, without the monsters seeming too gimnicky.
    Denki Wolf and SammyW27 like this.

Blog Entries

Remember what happened the last time a Nintendo franchise gotten a movie adaption?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails super-mario-bros-movie-poster-1993-1020235102.jpg  
    Robo-Floatzel and Marius like this.

Denki the Pokemon Breeder Denki Wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chella182 View Post
    I would watch it if one was made, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it much / would find it quite cringey. I just can't see how it would work, to be honest.
    Oh I would watch the math out of it!
    Lol, but yeah it would most probably come out epically cringe worthy.

Made Sig and Avi

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Shadow View Post
    Remember what happened the last time a Nintendo franchise gotten a movie adaption?
    Just because one movie had a crappy adaptation doesn't mean they all will.

Blog Entries

SMB wasn't a terrible movie (not a great one, either), it just wasn't a very good Mario movie (commercially, they should have gotten the cast from the TV show back and done an animated film-at worst they would have lost less money that way)-though I still consider it an interesting take on the franchise.

A short (under 10 mins) LA Pokemon "movie" might be ok, but feature-length? No way.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

If they got Disney to do it Marvel-style, with additional adaptations of other Nintendo franchises following and ultimately culminating in a Super Smash Bros. movie, I'd totally watch it.
    Master Mew likes this.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Of coarse there should be, anyone who thinks differently is not a real fan. If u grew up watching poke'mon you would love to see your favorite characters in the flesh like myself. I personally don't care how "shitty" they make it, if I knew there was a live action movie being made I would support it. Sure Dragonball evolution could of been much better but I still watched it more than once like most of you

I am a fan of Pokémon, but I would never like them in the flesh. There's a charm in the Pokémon art designs, a charm that can only be replicated on an animated world. Live-action would lose those charms. And if there is a live action about Pokémon being made, I would not give my support because I believe that is not the way to go. Just like the live action movies of Avatar The Last Airbender and Dragonball are not the way to go for the franchises.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they have the same mix of live action and animation like in Who Framed Rodger Rabbit then it could turn out nice. but all live action would be a disaster
    Master Mew likes this.

Blog Entries

Something similar in concept and tone to Pokémon Colosseum could potentially work. All I ask is that they don't fall back on CGI for absolutely everything that isn't a human actor. Real sets and real props are a must, and I would personally hope for Pokémon portrayed by models (i. e. Magnemite), puppets (i. e. Victreebel) and people in costume (i. e. Machoke) when possible, maybe augmented with small amounts of CGI if necessary. Only the most impractical monsters should be rendered entirely in CGI. And for heaven's sake, Pokémon should not say their names!

The biggest problem you run into with these kinds of movies is that the people making them may not know or care enough to make it any good. The reasons for this vary—the most cynical fans will tell you that studios only want to cash in on the popularity of the title. While this may be true in some cases, a lot of the time it can be chalked up to merely hiring the wrong people to write and direct, and occasionally, poor casting decisions. The point is, the problem isn't with the source material, but with the people adapting it.
    Yato and Master Mew like this.

No no no! ><
    There is no way a live action would be quality viewing. All the charm of the anime would be lost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Littleleaf View Post
    No no no! ><
    There is no way a live action would be quality viewing. All the charm of the anime would be lost.
    Who said anything about the anime? Pokémon is first and foremost a video game franchise; there is nothing dictating that a live-action film would have to adhere strictly to that specific adaptation. That would just ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Who said anything about the anime? Pokémon is first and foremost a video game franchise; there is nothing dictating that a live-action film would have to adhere strictly to that specific adaptation. That would just ruin it.
    Mmmm, true, I was automatically assuming a live action based off the anime storyline; however, I still think any Pokemon live-action would struggle to not be received negatively.
    Last edited by Littleleaf; 12th March 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Personally, I like the idea of a Pokemon live action movie based on Collosseum.

Three things for a Pokemon Live Action to work:

1. Solid storyline that's interesting
    2. Good acting
    3. CG

From what I heard and read on bulbapedia, Collosseum has a rather solid storyline that's interesting enough for a wide age group to watch. I'm sure they'd be able to get a good actor for Wes if they tried. And as long as they have the money, CG for the pokemons will be nicely done.

It doesn't always have to be Ash + Pikachu. The Eeveelutions are popular as well - something like Collosseum might be able to pull it off.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I highly doubt it, even then given Pokemon is a Japanese franchise, it will likely never come out of Japan, and even then it would be subs only much like the Death Note films were. If Hollywood makes it though, it should be animated entirely in CGI rather than a live-action/CGI hybrid, best done by Dreamworks in particular (just hope they don't have one of the main characters make the Dreamworks face on the poster, because that face honestly annoys me anymore).

The reason I say it should be animated and shouldn't be live action is because I think realistic Pokemon look uncanny and would look out-of-place with the human actors, especially given how most Pokemon based on mammals such as Pikachu (which is a bright yellow color) tend to be rather colorful in appearance as opposed to real mammals which are usually shades of brown, gray, white, and black. Pokemon based on birds, reptiles, and such wouldn't have this problem though, but either way, Pokemon just don't look right if they look realistic; search "realistic Pokemon" on sites like DeviantART and you'll see what I mean....
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast