The Pros and Cons of Viz Media - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Viz Media

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of Viz Media

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    ...Oh.

Then it could very be Viz's choice. Still doesn't surprise me, they're doing it solely to cash in on the series.
    And it could very well not be their choice. It's not right to jump to conclusions.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

One thing I was thinking of last night in regards to the VizKids line (in fact, the thought occurred to me as soon as I shut my laptop down for the night >>): Stan Lee and Hiroyuki Takei's Karakuri Dôji Ultimo manga, which was published under Viz Media's standard "Shonen Jump" line from volumes 1-5. Volume 6 however, is in the "Shonen Jump Advanced" line, which is their imprint for series' targeted at teenagers and young adults. So that doesn't necessarily mean that Viz Media would be stuck releasing any later arcs in the VizKid's line - they could probably get away with releasing Pokémon in their standard non-Shonen Jump line (like Shakugan no Shana and Fullmetal Alchemist...I use them as examples simply because they're the only Viz Manga I own that isn't VizKids, Shonen Jump or Shonen Jump Advanced xD).

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I also wish to see a source about TPCi being the ones to block the RS arc from being released.
    It's likely confidential if it has to do with possible future games.
    Personally, my biggest gripe with Viz Media is not releasing later volumes without any explanation. Pokémon Adventures isn't the only series to suffer from this. Where are my 23 missing Shakugan no Shana novels and 3 missing Shana manga volumes for example?
    I see that they're not ones to have press conferences. Honestly, it may be licensing issues that need to be clear up in Shana's case. I mean, we don't work for Viz or any publishing company (in all likelihood) so how can we truly know unless we spy.
    The only two light novels that were released were released on 17th April 2007 and 16 October 2007 - five years have passed since the first novel was released. The manga was also dropped once the story had reached the end of the story covered in the second novel. My guess is, as around that time Viz Media were predicting a light novel boom that never happened, Shakugan no Shana probably didn't sell as much as they had (probably naively?) hoped. They probably allowed volume 2 to come out hoping that volume 1's sales would pick up after a few months, but it didn't so they shelved the series. I just wish they were open about it...

The main thing that annoys me about it though is that Viz Media simply do not talk about these things. Normally, the motto "No news is good news" would apply, but in Viz Media's case it's "No news is bad news".

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    ...Oh.

Then it could very be Viz's choice. Still doesn't surprise me, they're doing it solely to cash in on the series.
    And it could very well not be their choice. It's not right to jump to conclusions.
    However, the responses received by various people around the time news broke out about the last chapter of GSC being placed in volume 14 screams that it is Viz Media's choice; they were fishing for interest. As they have continued releasing DPt and BW, I'd imagine they're just not confident that the RS arc will sell as well because those games aren't very recent, rather than it being a decision based on the sales of earlier volumes.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 9th May 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Again, Joshawott makes a very valid point. I'm more inclined to believe him.

Let's also not forget the times when Viz has actually made rude responses to people who e-mailed them asking that they continue Adventures, back when they stopped at RBY... And Pokemon Adventures, frankly, didn't really sell that well back then, and they probably figured that pursuing the rest would result in more waste of money. They're obviously doing this to cash in and to make money.
    Last edited by Isamu Akai; 9th May 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Typo that I noticed too late

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Again, Joshawott makes a very valid point. I'm more inclined to believe him.

Let's also not forget the times when Viz has actually made rude responses to people who e-mailed them asking that they continue Adventures, back when they stopped at RBY... And Pokemon Adventures, frankly, didn't really well that well back then, and they probably figured that pursuing the rest would result in more waste of money. They're obviously doing this to cash in and to make money.
    Well, it IS a business and not a charity.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I thought that there were some email responses from Viz saying that it was TPCI's decision to not release the R/S arc, but I could be mistaken about that. The only response I've gotten back from them was saying that they were relaunching with the D/P/Pl volume and that if there was enough demand for the volumes in-between, they would release them.

I'm not sure if they didn't want to release the R/S volumes because those games aren't recent or relevant to the current generation. When they started to re-release the R/B/G volumes, the first generation games weren't relevant. They also didn't really time the release of the first G/S volume with the release of HG/SS with being release five months after the games came out, although they were more relevant marketing wise than the first two arcs. They clearly moved into the B/W volumes to tie in with the current generation, especially when it will take quite some time for the full volumes to be released in Japan, but I don't think that the games not being relevant is why Viz isn't releasing the volumes. I really hope that they do since I would enjoy reading those arcs and actually owning the volumes. Plus, I can't afford to import them. Maybe they'll consider it once they're done with the D/P/Pl volumes, especially when I don't know how many volumes the HG/SS arc will have by the time they're finished translating the other volumes. Viz obviously wants to keep releasing Adventures to make some money and I think that the sales for the volumes have done pretty well, so I don't think that they would consider releasing the arcs in between a waste of money either.

Blog Entries

@Hidden Mew; I imagine they re-released the RGB and Yellow arcs before the GSC arc because of Kanto being in HGSS too, as well as the Johto story relying pretty heavily on the events of the RGB/Y arcs.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

@Hidden Mew; I imagine they re-released the RGB and Yellow arcs before the GSC arc because of Kanto being in HGSS too, as well as the Johto story relying pretty heavily on the events of the RGB/Y arcs.
    I'm not entirely sure about that. The first re-release of the RGB arc was June 2, 2009 and HG/SS didn't come out in the U.S. until March 10th, 2010. I don't know if it was even announced officially by the time the first volume of the RGB came out. There were also those two Best of volumes that came out even earlier and they're also re-releasing these volumes in box sets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about that. The first re-release of the RGB arc was June 2, 2009 and HG/SS didn't come out in the U.S. until March 10th, 2010. I don't know if it was even announced officially by the time the first volume of the RGB came out. There were also those two Best of volumes that came out even earlier and they're also re-releasing these volumes in box sets.
    That's because with the re-release, they were rereleasing them in order - they can't release volume 1 and volume 8 on the same day. Yet they wanted to release the GSC arc around the time HGSS would be released, so they scheduled it carefully. The "Best Of" volumes, if memory serves me well, was Viz Media's attempt at seeing if Adventures would sell enough to warrant a reprint (and re-translation). Obviously it did.

As for the boxset, they've been doing that with a lot of manga recently - Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventures have all had boxset releases for example.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234