The Pros and Cons of Viz Media - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Viz Media

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of Viz Media

Quote Originally Posted by Stratago View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Well, Viz said that they wanted to release the RS, FRLG and E arcs but TPCi won't let them as of now. It may be because TPCi know (or is guessing) that RS remakes are likely to come so they might let Viz release them if the remakes are announced and slated for a US release as a sort of marketing ploy. The RS and E arcs are based on Hoenn and while FRLG isn't exactly Hoenn based it does have Hoenn Pokemon and bridges the two other arcs together (and if Viz learns about Sird in the DPPt arc, they WILL release the arc she appears in, using her revealation in DPPt to get readers curious about what went on in the Sevii Island and why Red and the others were petrified). If no remakes are made, then we still might get them since Viz likely wants to make money off more Pokemon Manga regardless of the current Generation. It explains why they released the DPPt arc when BW was just being released in the US: they could release the Gen 3 arcs yet so they skipped ahead to release DPPt for more volumes to sell. Same with the BW arc.
    Oh, wow, I didn't know that Pokemon Co. blocked them. I just figured it was their own economic projections, when in fact it was kinda over their heads!
    I also forgot about Sird's appearance at the end of D/P/Pt; when Viz gets around to that chapter, readers are gonna be like, 'who's this creepy chick...?'
    Yeah, they may release Manga here but they also license it from the publishers and TPCi. I mean, TPCi IS The Pokemon Company international so clearly they can tell Viz what they can and can't release unless they say so. As for Sird, she might increase demand for the missing arcs which might be a midquel for the US.
    Stratago likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

midquel
    That word just made my day.

I personally don't have a very high opinion of Pokemon Co after their HG/SS Pocket Pokedex; when it first came out it was the only resource I had (since I refuse to buy actual guides, and I didn't have a compy at the time), and it had so many misprints and bad info that it was useless half the time.
    Anyway, now I actually hope they re-release R/S soon so I don't have to pay like $400 to get the flipped Chuang Yi versions on EBay. (I actually would be more excited about the manga release over the game, which was my least favorite in the series so far.)

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

Blog Entries

Well, Viz said that they wanted to release the RS, FRLG and E arcs but TPCi won't let them as of now. It may be because TPCi know (or is guessing) that RS remakes are likely to come so they might let Viz release them if the remakes are announced and slated for a US release as a sort of marketing ploy. The RS and E arcs are based on Hoenn and while FRLG isn't exactly Hoenn based it does have Hoenn Pokemon and bridges the two other arcs together (and if Viz learns about Sird in the DPPt arc, they WILL release the arc she appears in, using her revealation in DPPt to get readers curious about what went on in the Sevii Island and why Red and the others were petrified). If no remakes are made, then we still might get them since Viz likely wants to make money off more Pokemon Manga regardless of the current Generation. It explains why they released the DPPt arc when BW was just being released in the US: they could release the Gen 3 arcs yet so they skipped ahead to release DPPt for more volumes to sell. Same with the BW arc.
    You mean it's TPCI preventing that? All this time I thought it was Viz cashing in on the franchise by solely releasing manga volumes to coincide with the most recent game releases, and that they didn't care about actual continuity, but apparently it's TPCI who wants to cash in...

Well, I'm irritated now.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    You mean it's TPCI preventing that? All this time I thought it was Viz cashing in on the franchise by solely releasing manga volumes to coincide with the most recent game releases, and that they didn't care about actual continuity, but apparently it's TPCI who wants to cash in...

Well, I'm irritated now.
    If that had been the case, they wouldn't release the DPPt arc as Gen 4 was about to end in the US.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Well, Viz said that they wanted to release the RS, FRLG and E arcs but TPCi won't let them as of now.
    Out of curiosity, can someone link me to where they said this again? Because they also said (in an email to me, no less) that they were "relaunching" the series with DP, and that more demand for RS/FRLG/E was needed for them to release the volumes in-between.

The RS and E arcs are based on Hoenn and while FRLG isn't exactly Hoenn based it does have Hoenn Pokemon and bridges the two other arcs together
    I dunno, I could see them only releasing the RS arc if RS remakes come out.

(and if Viz learns about Sird in the DPPt arc, they WILL release the arc she appears in, using her revealation in DPPt to get readers curious about what went on in the Sevii Island and why Red and the others were petrified).
    I'm pretty sure they already know about it. I (and possibly some others) have emailed them about it with no response, and companies tend to have more translated than what's currently released.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm irritated now.
    If that had been the case, they wouldn't release the DPPt arc as Gen 4 was about to end in the US.
    What are you talking about? DPP wasn't released that late.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm irritated now.
    What are you talking about? DPP wasn't released that late.
    Yeah, it was. The HGSS games were out at the time and the BW games were being advertised for their upcoming releases.

Blog Entries

What I meant was that the focus was still generation 4, so releasing the DPP chapters would have still been relevant.

Blog Entries

What I meant was that the focus was still generation 4, so releasing the DPP chapters would have still been relevant.
    The first volume was also released in February, at least one month before BW would fully kick in and the BW Anime was airing then so Gen 4 was dying down.

Blog Entries

Or rather, a five day difference... Okay, so I looked.

Let me rephrase it then. DPP and HGSS were still fairly recent than say, in comparison to Gen III for instance. They still had relevance and enough to be marketed. Not to mention, considering that PokeSpec is the most popular Pokemon manga in the west, it has fan demand.

Besides, TPCI probably went ahead and approved DPP so that Viz would have a little extra to license, rather than just sticking to the RBY and GSC chapters that would be considered "outdated" by now.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I also wish to see a source about TPCi being the ones to block the RS arc from being released.

Personally, my biggest gripe with Viz Media is not releasing later volumes without any explanation. Pokémon Adventures isn't the only series to suffer from this. Where are my 23 missing Shakugan no Shana novels and 3 missing Shana manga volumes for example?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I also wish to see a source about TPCi being the ones to block the RS arc from being released.
    It's likely confidential if it has to do with possible future games.
    Personally, my biggest gripe with Viz Media is not releasing later volumes without any explanation. Pokémon Adventures isn't the only series to suffer from this. Where are my 23 missing Shakugan no Shana novels and 3 missing Shana manga volumes for example?
    I see that they're not ones to have press conferences. Honestly, it may be licensing issues that need to be clear up in Shana's case. I mean, we don't work for Viz or any publishing company (in all likelihood) so how can we truly know unless we spy.

Blog Entries

...Joshawott has a point. I find it hard to believe if there is no source.

Blog Entries

...Joshawott has a point. I find it hard to believe if there is no source.
    I was pretty much speculating on the stuff we know from seeing things.

Blog Entries

...Oh.

Then it could very be Viz's choice. Still doesn't surprise me, they're doing it solely to cash in on the series.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast