Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything) - Page 7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    One thing I notice is how Special connects the individual game generations well while making a separate storyline for each one. With the Anime, the loose plot and episodic nature of Ash's journey seems to stem from not knowing what will be in the next games.
    The only generational stories that really felt connected were the first two ones, which was also the case in the anime. The other "connections" are far and few between, mostly being limited to last-minute references to the next games that Kusaka added years after said games had already been released.

The main reason that the older generations seem more relevant to Special than to the anime is the fact that Kusaka adapted FRLG and HGSS into new stories with the old protagonists.
    matt0044 likes this.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post

Would you let go of Arbok getting cut in half ?
    Ya Kusaka made some mistake at first !
    But he actually realize his mistake , He realize that People doesn't like A Pokemon getting cut in half and didn't repeated the mistake unless it was necessary !
    Is that really true? I never heard this before, but if this is the case, it's pretty disappointing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post

Would you let go of Arbok getting cut in half ?
    Ya Kusaka made some mistake at first !
    But he actually realize his mistake , He realize that People doesn't like A Pokemon getting cut in half and didn't repeated the mistake unless it was necessary !
    Is that really true? I never heard this before, but if this is the case, it's pretty disappointing.
    Well, it appears that way though future arcs don't shy away from violence.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Someone mentioned forced pairings. I don't see how the Ruby/Sapphire pairing feels forced at all. Falling in love with someone after getting to know their good sides, and then finding out they're the same childhood friend that saved you from a friggin' dragon and got their forehead split open in the process; being the biggest motivating factor in your pursuit of becoming a stronger person/trainer? How does that *not* justify Sapphire liking Ruby?
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 8th May 2013 at 02:56 PM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    The anime at least tries to treat each Pokemon as a living character, whereas Special tends to treat them all as dumb beasts and marginalize them in favour of human-centered drama. Therefore, anime > Special.

And before someone says something about the anime's "endless filler' or Ash never accomplishing something, consider that Special introduces endless droves of new protagonists and them boots them out of the spotlight whenever the new games come around whether they're accomplished anything or not. It's really not any better.

Can't really say anything about the other manga series, though.
    First of all, that may be the case (Arbok getting sliced in half and Koga not really reacting much), but it isn't always. For instance, the Ruby-Mimi plotline of the RS arc really showed the connection that a trainer and Pokemon have: ups and downs, and it was actually a very emotional and deep plotline for me. So don't let that opinion get in the way of enjoying Special if you haven't tried to. :)

Second, about booting out the characters, this is a case of quality vs. quantity. The stories may be brief, but they're actually quite decent and full of great and memorable moments (just my opinion, though). The anime has had awesome moments as well! :D
    matt0044 likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonCIaw View Post
    Second, about booting out the characters, this is a case of quality vs. quantity. The stories may be brief, but they're actually quite decent and full of great and memorable moments (just my opinion, though). The anime has had awesome moments as well! :D
    Plus, they're story arcs aren't stretched out so ending their run before they can even come close to being stale is a good thing.

Also on the whole "Pokemon as wild animals" thing. Look back a few page as @FANG-TAN put it better than I ever could.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    Someone mentioned forced pairings. I don't see how the Ruby/Sapphire pairing feels forced at all. Falling in love with someone after getting to know their good sides, and then finding out they're the same childhood friend that saved you from a friggin' dragon and got their forehead split open in the process; being the biggest motivating factor in your pursuit of becoming a stronger person/trainer? How does that *not* justify Sapphire liking Ruby?
    The whole Ruby/Sapphire "dynamic" just seemed pre-planned from the start, is what I think people mean by "forced".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    The whole Ruby/Sapphire "dynamic" just seemed pre-planned from the start, is what I think people mean by "forced".
    I don't see how that makes it forced though, especially when Kusaka doesn't shove it down the reader's throat. It just shows that Kusaka knew what he wanted to do from the beginning and went with it, which, in my opinion, gives Special some bonus points against the anime, which seems to like frequently changing its mind about what it wants to do with certain aspects of the plot - either dropping them or changing them completely.

On another note, I'd like to say that the current Mewtwo fiasco in the anime will make it lose points for me. One of the best plots that I think the anime had to offer (better than Special!Mewtwo's story, in my opinion), will either be ruined by a total continuity asspull or a contrived personality/voice rehaul of Mewtwo, depending on whether or not it's the same one. At least for me.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 14th May 2013 at 05:11 AM.
    matt0044 likes this.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    On another note, I'd like to say that the current Mewtwo fiasco in the anime will make it lose points for me. One of the best plots that I think the anime had to offer (better than Special!Mewtwo's story, in my opinion), will either be ruined by a total continuity asspull or a contrived personality/voice rehaul of Mewtwo, depending on whether or not it's the same one. At least for me.
    My money's on it being a new Mewtwo.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Mewtwo in Pokemon Special put up a spetacular fight with Deoxys! This fight is much much better than the battles it did in the RGB and Yellow saga.

Although Mewtwo also made a reappearance after so much time, but its return is plausible because the event involves a DNA Pokemon and its creator which to its most hatred. I'm not sure about the newest movie of Genesect, because currently only trailer is available, without much deeper storyline. Though to my own personal opinion, if Mewtwo returned in M16 to stop Genesect because it is a Pokemon altered by an evil team, which is very much similar to itself, it reason is also plausible, but HOWEVER! it doesn't give an excuse to introduce a new form for Mewtwo. This rather make the return of Mewtwo more like a promotion.

By the way, Mewtwo fight with Deoxys in Special is great, because it is not just exchanging attacks with each other, and the Pokemon that was previously labeled as the strongest amongst all had its power dwarf by the extreme strength causes by the form change of its opponent. The fight was not an easy win, even the trainer needed to be involved in the fight, make uses of the surrounding environment, and provide tactic strategy that gives advantages to his own Pokemon.
    Compare to battles in the Anime, the wins were becoming too easy compare to the earlier generations, because you can win basically by just using a stronger attack. It is basically just exchanging fires, all the trainers do is just command the Pokemon, without much thought on tactical and/or competitive strategies. It is almost like the trainer is not involved, the battle is the issues between the Pokemon, and the trainer is getting credit by just being its trainer.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    Although Mewtwo also made a reappearance after so much time, but its return is plausible because the event involves a DNA Pokemon and its creator which to its most hatred. I'm not sure about the newest movie of Genesect, because currently only trailer is available, without much deeper storyline. Though to my own personal opinion, if Mewtwo returned in M16 to stop Genesect because it is a Pokemon altered by an evil team, which is very much similar to itself, it reason is also plausible, but HOWEVER! it doesn't give an excuse to introduce a new form for Mewtwo. This rather make the return of Mewtwo more like a promotion.
    The problem lies in the fact that there's a possibility of it being a different Mewtwo or the same Mewtwo with an overhauled personality, somewhat disrespecting the character itself and its story (not to mention the deceased writer that created him). If they're going to use a Mewtwo, why not use the Mewtwo already established as one-of-a-kind in the story? Or if it's the same one, why change its image (referring to its personality, not the new form itself)?

I loved how Mewtwo returned to help Red battle Deoxys in Pokemon Special (Mewtwo vs. Deoxys was very fitting too, and also it being fueled by its vendetta against Sakaki). I would have preferred it to be a similar case in the anime, where Mewtwo returns to help Satoshi battle the Genesects, feeling like it should repay a debt of sorts, and due to the Genesects' similar background of being created by an evil team, it would feel somewhat involved. Too bad something like that was thrown out the window the moment the second trailer came about. At the very least, the Pokemon Special manga respects and tributes its continuity and characters time and time again, while the anime only does it sporadically in comparison. I mean, the anime version of Mewtwo had to have left a big impression in order for Kusaka-sensei to pay tribute to it during the FRLG arc of Special, reworking some of Special!Mewtwo's traits to match its anime counterpart. The anime writers had something there and there's no reason to muddle it up.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 14th May 2013 at 06:04 AM.
    matt0044 likes this.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with the anime is after Takeshi Shudo lost full control over the anime at some point in Johto, every aspect of Kanto was downplayed or lost and the series started its repetitive filler formula. I've covered it here:

The reception of the Johto saga in the anime, and why it was the shows downfall - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

There are some improvements made in the anime after that, but it really only concerns certain characters or select episodes and events.

Blog Entries

I pretty much already went over how the anime became the least ballsy of the Pokemon adaptations once Takeshi Shudo stepped down as head writer. The process was also slowly happening once the Pokemon anime became an international thing.

The anime pretty much started good (Kanto~Orange Islands, especially the really earlier episodes), then took three steps backwards (Jouto), one step forward (AG~DP, a half step forward with DP in some areas, a step backwards in some), then three steps backward again (Satoshi losing to that jerk Takuto ~ BW). It took some steps forward with Episode N, but that ended in disappointment and rushed writing.

While over here in manga land, there are more than a dozen series that try out new interesting and unique concepts without fear, try to use all of their plot devices to their advantage without dropping them, write their characters with the utmost respect, and most of all, try to keep their plots consistent in terms of quality.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 16th May 2013 at 06:16 PM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

It because of scene like this , Pokemon Adventure will always be better then the Pokemon Anime !

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

It because of scene like this , Pokemon Adventure will always be better then the Pokemon Anime !
    The expression of Black, it is the fighting expression with seriousness and solemnity against a very important battle that means a lot to himself, there is no joke or laughter can be or allowed to be interpose in the between. On top of that, even his Pokemon has the equivalent earnest look just like their trainer, it tells very clearly they are not "playing".

On the opposite, Pokemon League battles supposed to be serious fights that means a lot to any of the competitors, but however, we never saw such earnest expression of Ash in the anime (rather to say, he never put up such serious expression for any kind of battle in his life). Even Ash took hell of efforts to make all his way to the Pokemon League, he and his Pokemon is still pulling their carefree and slaphappy looks, it just feels like League battle to them is another amusing entertainment that is to be "play around".

Yeah, the sharp contrast is just like dollars to doughnuts.
    Team Gaara and matt0044 like this.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast