Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything) - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 142

Thread: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

  1. #61

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Not regarding the debates above I enjoy the manga for Pokemon Red, Blue, and yellow. Yellow in general for the fact that It's an epilogue of all the previous manga's showing yellow saving the world. I also like the mangas for Mystery Dungeon.
    The TV show in my own opinion has been dragged out to a point where episodes are cliche and easy to draw out when it starts. Mangas aren't such like that.

  2. #62
    Dancing Senorita PikeQueenLucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Battle Pike, Battle Frontier Hoenn
    Posts
    72

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I actually stopped religiously following the anime after the Hoenn seasons. When I gained my interest in Pokemon back, I tried watching the anime but I dunno. It just wasn't the same for me. I guess it doesn't help that I haven't played any of the Sinnoh games.

    I discovered the PokeSpe manga a couple of years ago, and absolutely love it. My favorite arc is R/S. The final battle is just so ridiculously epic. I also like the way the characters are portrayed in the manga. Green (the girl) is pretty awesome.
    Soul Silver team (in progress)-


    Please contact me for Mario Kart Wii friend code.

    "Cat. I'ma kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance."

  3. #63
    エリカは俺のy(ry Utsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Celadon City
    Posts
    95
    Blog Entries
    1

    Visit Utsune's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Hmm personally I don't think direct comparison is possible, since they're all really different.

    I used to read Pokemon Special (Adventures) back in CoroCoro before I started watching the anime, (and wow that was like 15 years ago now that I think about it,) and after a while I also bought a few volumes of Electric Tale of Pikachu (the one with very revealing art) and Pocket Monsters (the one with a talking Clefairy.)

    The anime is mainly directed at really young kids. I really enjoyed as a kid back then, and although some episodic stories don't flow so well from time to time (by my current standards,) it had never been a problem back then. And then recently I watched a bit of the latest episodes from Black and White, although Ash does make Pokemon-game-players infuriating at times because seriously, Quick Attack on a Steel-type??? but then again I do notice they have begun trying to follow the games much more than ever, which is very interesting to see.

    Pokemon Special is simply my childhood. Up until volume 9 or so, I have always enjoyed and appreciated the fantastic art by Mato-sensei. Unfortunately, she contracted an illness which left her unable to draw since then, not sure if it was coincidental or not, I also began to stop reading the manga from then on. Something about her art is very, very heart-warming. The story line is also more than superb. Though much more mature at certain instances, it was also a fit for read when I was around 8 years old. Probably the most mind-engraving scene was when Koga's Arbok got chopped in half. However, it wasn't the gore that stood out to me, but the turn of events. Now that I'm older and I actually think deeper into the story and the setting, I really want to commend the author on relating his manga back to the game so perfectly well. It was a very immersible world that I came to love. Not to mention the really really cute art.

    The Electric Tale of Pikachu is a very different manga. It put somewhat more emphasis on the fantastical aspect of the world rather than the Pokemon themselves in a sense. Examples include the technology and building designs. The humour is very different (partly thanks to a different style of art) and also slightly "ecchi" or "perverted" jokes which is passable in a non-Western community even for kids lol (since honestly, Weekly Shounen JUMP is just as bad.) Though I was more than conscious of the hot-spring scene with Misty, or her attire during the gym battle with Ash, the defining moment had to be the event with Sabrina and the gigantic Haunter. Now that was actually totally impressionable. It was dramatic to read as a kid. This is a completely different Pokemon world they portray here. And a completely different style of manga, whether in art, cover art, underside cover art, humour, story, development of story... They all taken a very different approach to the conventional "Pokemon."

    Pocket Monsters is just a blast to read. Yet again, different style of art and humour, and the approach on writing the story line. It's reminiscence of your typical episodic comedy series in Shounen manga magazines, only with a Pokemon setting. The humour is exactly what you'd expect in those mags, and personally these types of comedy never grow old. Yet when you read it, you don't want to read it as a Pokemon manga. You want to read it as a comedy manga with Pokemon cameo, that's the mindset I would suggest to people. Because right down to it, as mentioned before, it's a comedy using Pokemon to tell jokes, rather than Pokemon using a story to portray a world.

    (Photography scraps) deviantART | YouTube (Random Music Covers)

  4. #64
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,191
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    The Stupidity of levels alone makes it so I can't get into special. I like the idea of of the author actually playing the games and trying to figure out which features he wants in his story but his choices arte just so so... DUMB.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    The Stupidity of levels alone makes it so I can't get into special. I like the idea of of the author actually playing the games and trying to figure out which features he wants in his story but his choices arte just so so... DUMB.
    I don't see how that should hinder you from taking more than just one look. Kinda petty, if you ask me.

    Also this comparing the Anime to the various Manga. I'm very interested to know how they stack up to each other in your book, given what you said above.

  6. #66
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,191
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    The Stupidity of levels alone makes it so I can't get into special. I like the idea of of the author actually playing the games and trying to figure out which features he wants in his story but his choices arte just so so... DUMB.
    I don't see how that should hinder you from taking more than just one look. Kinda petty, if you ask me.

    Also this comparing the Anime to the various Manga. I'm very interested to know how they stack up to each other in your book, given what you said above.
    I read the entirety of the first arc and about a quarter of the Yellow ark. I haven't read the other manga. There like a billion of them I don't where to start. Also it's not petty. World building is an important part sci fantasy. Even it is possible for your characters I wasn't motivated to keep reading. And the level thing wasn't only choice I disliked why the hell were Koga Sabrina and Surge villians? Why are the elite four villians? Why if you feel the freedom to make, characters who aren't villains, villains why don't you use that freedom to remove something dislikable? Like I don't know... THE GAMES' NONSENSICAL POKEDEX MECHANICS!
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  7. #67
    Risen Chief Risen Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    A Very Bad Future
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Pokemon Special Manga. Compared to the anime, the story is better, the characters are more interesting... basically everything about it is better than the anime as far as I'm concerned.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Why if you feel the freedom to make, characters who aren't villains, villains why don't you use that freedom to remove something dislikable? Like I don't know... THE GAMES' NONSENSICAL POKEDEX MECHANICS!
    Perhaps the author himself saw nothing wrong with it personally. I mean, it's his series and his opinions. While I raise my eyebrow at certain mechanics, I respect the author's choices and I don't see why the series should be hated with such passion like yours. I mean, dude, chill.

    And honestly, I liked the idea of making those Gym Leader villains. The Elite Four was... so-so but Surge, Koga and Sabrina were good TR members (plus, Giovanni planting his members amongst the Gyms makes sense).

    BTW, I hope you remember this thread's title.

    Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    Most people who said the anime had more personality in terms of Pokemon said that was the only thing going for it over Special, in their opinion.
    Well, there are some human characters that shine too.

  9. #69
    Registered User chpokéfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wooster, Ohio
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I watch the anime every now and then. I only read the Red, Blue, and Green of Pokemon special. Plus I've read the Electric Tale of Pikachu. I have to say the Manga had a great storyline. The anime is quite predictable, though I do like the Ash, Misty, and Brock episodes. EToP was basically like the Anime, except that it skipped around and Ash actually liked Misty.

  10. #70
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,191
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Part of the reason I put up with anime is league I hate the newest series best wishes but I still had fun watching the league. Now the indigo league had it's problems quite a few of them. But when it comes to special I was majorly disappointed it jumped to semi finals because "trainers versus trainers isn't cool it's ALL about villainous teams" then it has a double forfeit okay so we have one good fight but okay I'm a sucker for a rival battle. But this battle pissed me off to no end first there are no referee saying "*Pokemon A* unable to battle* and no swirly eyes the anime gave of liberty of both so it was incredibly frustrating since they switched pokemon so I had no idea weather a mon fainted or not. Not to mention neither side used six pokemon and it was never specified what the rules are. All the dude had to do to when me over was write a great rival battle but I never knew what was happened or why Red won. I couldn't gauge who was winning so I couldn't get invested.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Part of the reason I put up with anime is league I hate the newest series best wishes but I still had fun watching the league. Now the indigo league had it's problems quite a few of them. But when it comes to special I was majorly disappointed it jumped to semi finals because "trainers versus trainers isn't cool it's ALL about villainous teams" then it has a double forfeit okay so we have one good fight but okay I'm a sucker for a rival battle. But this battle pissed me off to no end first there are no referee saying "*Pokemon A* unable to battle* and no swirly eyes the anime gave of liberty of both so it was incredibly frustrating since they switched pokemon so I had no idea weather a mon fainted or not. Not to mention neither side used six pokemon and it was never specified what the rules are. All the dude had to do to when me over was write a great rival battle but I never knew what was happened or why Red won. I couldn't gauge who was winning so I couldn't get invested.
    -_- You're kidding, right?

    Good lord, I was trying to keep myself open-minded for your opinion but... wow...

    Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    Though they were just as prone to be scared off by disasters such as the seizure incident back in the day, where they refused to show Porygon in any form thereafter.
    Freaky coincidence that none of the staff then had epilepsy.

  12. #72
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,191
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Part of the reason I put up with anime is league I hate the newest series best wishes but I still had fun watching the league. Now the indigo league had it's problems quite a few of them. But when it comes to special I was majorly disappointed it jumped to semi finals because "trainers versus trainers isn't cool it's ALL about villainous teams" then it has a double forfeit okay so we have one good fight but okay I'm a sucker for a rival battle. But this battle pissed me off to no end first there are no referee saying "*Pokemon A* unable to battle* and no swirly eyes the anime gave of liberty of both so it was incredibly frustrating since they switched pokemon so I had no idea weather a mon fainted or not. Not to mention neither side used six pokemon and it was never specified what the rules are. All the dude had to do to when me over was write a great rival battle but I never knew what was happened or why Red won. I couldn't gauge who was winning so I couldn't get invested.
    -_- You're kidding, right?

    Good lord, I was trying to keep myself open-minded for your opinion but... wow...
    Being confused is a not legit complaint? Will you please elaborate? It is important writing skill to convey to the audience what is going with as little exposition as possible BUT this was the other side of the extreme I didn't know anything about the rules of the battle because they were never explained. How am I suppose to enjoy a battle if I spending most of my time trying to figure out what the hell going on?
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Part of the reason I put up with anime is league I hate the newest series best wishes but I still had fun watching the league. Now the indigo league had it's problems quite a few of them. But when it comes to special I was majorly disappointed it jumped to semi finals because "trainers versus trainers isn't cool it's ALL about villainous teams" then it has a double forfeit okay so we have one good fight but okay I'm a sucker for a rival battle. But this battle pissed me off to no end first there are no referee saying "*Pokemon A* unable to battle* and no swirly eyes the anime gave of liberty of both so it was incredibly frustrating since they switched pokemon so I had no idea weather a mon fainted or not. Not to mention neither side used six pokemon and it was never specified what the rules are. All the dude had to do to when me over was write a great rival battle but I never knew what was happened or why Red won. I couldn't gauge who was winning so I couldn't get invested.
    -_- You're kidding, right?

    Good lord, I was trying to keep myself open-minded for your opinion but... wow...
    Being confused is a not legit complaint? Will you please elaborate? It is important writing skill to convey to the audience what is going with as little exposition as possible BUT this was the other side of the extreme I didn't know anything about the rules of the battle because they were never explained. How am I suppose to enjoy a battle if I spending most of my time trying to figure out what the hell going on?
    Do you really need the rules spelt out for you? From what you can observe, it's clear that:

    There's no need for any even number of Pokemon for either trainer (be it Three-on-Three or Six-On-Six).
    When they switched out Pokemon, that Pokemon could no longer battle.
    Also one could use more than one Pokemon at a time (as seen with Charizard's defeat).

    I'm sorry but you seem to be making a mountain over a molehill. Is it too much to ask for you to draw your own conclusions?

  14. #74
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,191
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post

    Do you really need the rules spelt out for you? From what you can observe, it's clear that:

    There's no need for any even number of Pokemon for either trainer (be it Three-on-Three or Six-On-Six).
    I'm going to stop you right there. How am I supposed to assume they get different amounts of pokemon when they both have six? And why would they get uneven amounts? You still haven't explained the win condition for that matter.The starters were recalled and sent back. It wasn't clear to me and I didn't have fun is that too hard to understand.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post

    Do you really need the rules spelt out for you? From what you can observe, it's clear that:

    There's no need for any even number of Pokemon for either trainer (be it Three-on-Three or Six-On-Six).
    I'm going to stop you right there. How am I supposed to assume they get different amounts of pokemon when they both have six? And why would they get uneven amounts? You still haven't explained the win condition for that matter.The starters were recalled and sent back. It wasn't clear to me and I didn't have fun is that too hard to understand.
    Who said that they each had six? And the fact that they were recalled and never sent back into the battlefield should indicate that they could no longer battle. Is that too much to grasp? I don't want to resort to calling you stupid but nothing you say is helping your case.

    Also if you're unable to follow a story's sequence of events just because a few details aren't spelt out and served onto a silver plate of exposition, that's your own fault rather than the writing, especially when no one else has had that problem. Sorry but I'm the kind of reader who doesn't need to be spoon-fed every single detail when I have enough to draw my own conclusions (a lot of the time to be honest).

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •