Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything) - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 142

Thread: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

  1. #46

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by hopeandjoy View Post
    That doesn't mean I dislike Special. I'm just sick of people making it out to be something that it's not. There are things to enjoy in both. Special as better human characters, the anime Pokémon. The anime has a very special charm and the older characters in Special are fun to watch.
    I know what you mean. Believe me. Though it just seems like Special actually cares about storytelling (even if it's not picture perfect) than the Anime (which doesn't even seem to try. At least all that hard). And no, I don't hate the Anime but I do hate how there are lot of opportunities that the story rarely takes advantage of to make itself great.

    But yeah, the whole violence thing and the fanboys (aside from the sane kind) annoy me too. It's very similar to this (note: it has to do with MLP so if you're not interested...): Observations on MLP: Embracing Girliness - YouTube

  2. #47
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by hopeandjoy View Post
    You have no idea how sick I am with people talking about how Special is ~so~ mature, dark, and edgy unlike that stuuuupid anime.

    Special is your average shonen manga, with slightly less fanservice and blood. The anime has had more characters permanently die than Special.

    Let me repeat that. The anime has had more characters permanently die than Special. Latios and Lucario stayed dead. That is better than I can say for any Special character, whether their revival be through Deus Ex Celebi, who the fuck knows (looking at you Pryce), or whatever contrived reason.

    Both are about how super-duper friendship is. Special has maybe a little more romance, if only because of Red and Yellow's crushes on each other and Ruby and Sapphire's confession (which was promptly ignored, as pointed out at the beginning of the Emerald arc). As for the ~swear words~ that the previous poster mentioned, that's because of the ambiguity of Japanese swears, which can mean anything from "rats" to "fuck" (and Ash uses the same in the Japanese version too! Guess what the more appropriate translation is. If you said a swear word, may I point you to the age demographic of both).

    The difference is this: the anime is for Japanese 7-year olds. Special is for Japanese 9-year olds.

    That doesn't mean I dislike Special. I'm just sick of people making it out to be something that it's not. There are things to enjoy in both. Special as better human characters, the anime Pokémon. The anime has a very special charm and the older characters in Special are fun to watch.

    Also: VIOLENCE DOES NOT EQUAL MATURITY. Personally, an obsession with it signals immaturity to me.
    The same excuse again !
    If somebody ask Anime writer about story's bad quality then they will say ''It because Pokemon is a kids anime!
    But if People show better quality Kids Anime then they will say ''It because those anime are for older mature kids and Pokemon is for DUMB KIDS !
    What An excuse !!!!
    Nobody can talk after that !!!
    Talent anther like Hideri Kusaka (Adventure) & Ihara Shigekatsu (DPA) overwork themself to writer great Pokemon Manga storys that appealing to everybody of all age but their story probably will never see the light of animation !
    While The trash Writer from Anime who write crap's despite a team helping them is hogging the TV Animation forever and preventing real Pokemon story to be animated by only using excuse like ''Target younger audience'' !
    I mean , Why should they even try ????
    They has a excuse like ''Target Audience'' and fan like You protecting their butt !
    What the anime writer honestly thinks ? That they can get the same rating Doraemon does if they target the same audience Doreamon does ?
    Well Last time I checked , Doreamon got 12% rating while ""Best Wishs'' got only 5% rating (Mainly because of N) !
    Its funny because Doraemon is even older anime then Pokemon !
    I guess even Doraemon's audience aren't pleased with Pokemon Anime .
    Why would they ????
    The reason Doraemon got 12% rating because Doraemon targeting the audience they fit for .
    Pokemon is anime originated from a game .
    Check the Game's story , concept, Purpose ,goal & gameplay !
    And Its would be obvious to you that An Anime based on Pokemon is meant for mature Kids around 10/12 year old !
    The Manga understand that and targeted them however the Anime writer are too over-smart who think they can get high rating if they target Doraemon Audience.
    Do You understand why Takeshi shudo ''Kento series'' was popular even though he treat Brock & Misty like Cheerleader ???
    It because Takeshi Shudo was a gusty writer made a series that would be appealing to all people of all age .
    He didn't follow crap like ''Target Audience''.
    And he was gutsy ! Current Anime writer are so coward that they stop any ''Ground Shaking'' attack after a Earthquake during 2004.
    I mean , They live in Japan that familiar with Earthquake.
    There always be another big Earthquake and a lot of people will die But that doesn't cause all other anime or japanise show to stop doing anything related to earthquake.
    It already been 2 year so can't they Man up .
    Too bad , Takeshi Shudo chose idiot successor without telling him the secret before dying .
    And The current writer will never know it .
    How can they know if Fans like you kept protecting them and doesn't push them to know.
    FYI-

    -Red & Yellow isn't crushing on each other . Red didn't knew that Yellow was a girl until the end of GSC ark and Currently Red's feeling can be consider brotherly . Just like Green & Cris shows sisterly feeling toward Sliver & Emerald
    You really didn't read the manga , Didn't you ?

    -I think Manga treat Pokemon much more as a intelligent living creature while the Anime treat them like a tool or Comic relief. Some People talking about Manga treating Pokemon like Animal but they forgot that Pokemon are animal . They are not human so manga Arthur doesn't have to treat like a human being . Instate the Manga treat Pokemon as an Animal with a living heart and feeling.
    Because of this , Manga Pokemon seem much for realistic and cooler then Anime Pokemon.
    Since they kept their animal instinct and doesn't become another ANNOYING OSHAWOTT !
    For example White's Servine & Serperior looked 10 time cooler then Trip's Servine & Serperior without winning a haux Tournament Because she kept her animal instinct rather then acting like a human.

    -I don't think Pokemon Manga are mature ! I believe Pokemon manga are like Digimon, Bakugun , Beyblade , Yugioh , Inazuma eleven etc .
    Those are Kids anime too .
    Most people call Pokemon manga too mature in order to defend Anime story's quality !
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 6th April 2013 at 01:10 AM.

  3. #48
    本物の神様 FANG-TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    マサラタウン
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    82
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Hurricane Kishore, I agree with you that using it being a "kids anime" as an excuse for its shortcomings is bad, but I do disagree on your stance on how both mediums treat the Pokemon. While I don't agree with people saying that Special only treats Pokemon as just wild animals, the anime does provide better characterization for the Pokemon compared to Special. That's not to say that Special's Pokemon aren't intelligent living beings - because they seem to be just as capable of intelligent thought as the anime's Pokemon. However, in terms of being distinguishable characters, the anime does beat Special in that regard (though the manga does have notable Pokemon characters, like Red's Pika and Gold's Togepi).

    I agree that the anime seemed to be a lot more gutsy back when Takeshi Shudo was a significant part of the writing team, back when he was still with us. Going back to the topic of the level on how Pokemon are treated as animals, back in the Gen I portion of the anime, there were multiple times where the anime delved into the territorial nature of Pokemon (most memorably, the first movie), showcasing their animal-like characteristics and instincts while still treating them as individual characters (which I honestly think is the best way to portray Pokemon) - we don't see much of that anymore. We also saw more instances of situations where the characters/Pokemon are in danger of dying, either where humans are cruel enough to leave their Pokemon to die (EP011), biohazards (EP030), or outright threatened to be killed (Mewtwo Returns). DP had Pokemon Hunter J, but it was merely implied, not outright stated to the viewers.

    The Kanto portion of the anime also had Satoshi perform impressive and daring human feats such as retrieving a bomb from the Safari Zone's lake and nearly drowning, fearlessly jumping across a lifting bridge on a bicycle to save a sick Pokemon, and taming someone's Ponyta to the point where it starts kicking ass in a race and evolves into a Gallop - actions that make me want to call him a selfless badass, which I can't exactly say about the current Satoshi, although he's still clearly selfless. Not to mention that many of the Kanto stories (including "filler" and the episodes within the "The Birth of Mewtwo" CD Drama) seemed to try their hardest to invoke emotion in their episodes as opposed to the current anime's fairly forgettable filler. And not just that, the humor during the Kanto saga seemed to appeal to childrens' parents just as much as the children themselves (moreso the East Asian parents than the western parents; I'm pretty sure western parents wouldn't take kindly to the breast jokes in a couple of the episodes). Now it seems they only put their best effort in for just movies (notably the Entei, Latias/Latios, and Lucario movies)

    Though they were just as prone to be scared off by disasters such as the seizure incident back in the day, where they refused to show Porygon in any form thereafter. Which is understandable, the earthquakes and that seizure incident are sensitive topics to children in Japan, especially since they were recent at the time.

    Other than that, I'm pretty sure Yellow and Kasumi are crushing on Red in the manga even though Red doesn't show any sign of reciprocating. In reply to hopeandjoy, the Ruby/Sapphire confession isn't ignored by the story, it's ignored by Ruby. Even though Kusaka is making Ruby out to be an immature prick about it so the relationship won't be taken further than necessary, it's still acknowledged because Sapphire constantly brings it up.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 5th April 2013 at 04:01 AM.

    ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

  4. #49
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,514
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I prefer Pokemon Adventures just a little bit more than the anime in terms of story. I do like the anime (clearly, as I currently still watch it), but Ash doing the same thing in every region does become repetitive. And it becomes painful when he doesn't learn anything from them.

    Adventures is based directly on the games and because of that, we see more action from the villainous teams, which I like. It bothers me that in the anime that besides Team Rocket, the villains show up for 4-5 episodes in the middle of the series, are defeated, and then never come back. I also like how the story becomes its own apart from the games, as well. For example: Lt. Surge, Sabrina, Koga, Blaine and the Kanto Elite Four are enemies instead of just opponents. Other gyms leaders also help to battle villains and protect their cities, which is what you'd expect them to do and don't get to see them do in the show, unfortunately.

    Another thing I really like about Adventures are the characters. They're all unique, in that some of them are trainers, we have Ruby as a coordinator, and then characters that want to be something completely different than in any of the games or that show, like Diamond and Pearl who want to be comedians and White how wants to be in show biz. Plus, most of them are pretty badass...most.

    Finally, it doesn't have that much filler. Yes, it has some. But you never really get that feeling that too many side events are occurring and there is no progress being made; like Ash taking five episodes trying to get to the next place because he meets some character of the day getting him off track. I find most of the filler in Adventures entertaining enough.

    So generally, I prefer Adventures for the story. I guess what I like the most about the anime is...just that, it's an anime... and I get to watch battles.

  5. #50
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Remember my word ,
    If Anime writer troll people one more time in Gen VI Anime series then Gen VII series will not get more then 2.2% rating .
    And By the time of Gen VIII Anime Series , This anime will get cancel and get replace with a better Kids Anime that doesn't Troll people like Yugioh or Digimon !
    Because majority of older fan will stop watching Pokemon for good after Gen VI series because they will realize Pokemon story isn't going anywhere While Doramon's audience won't be bother with Anime .
    The difference between Pokemon & Doraemon rating proves that the Target audience isn't pleased with the thing Writer did to attract them .
    If only Japanese fan start pushing them rather then defending then .
    Then the anime will improve .
    They could show their protest by giving Pokemon Best Wishs Daa episode 0% rating no matter what writer does there.
    While ,
    Pokemon Adventure will live on Because there will be a complete new story with new protagonist in new Generation.
    Therefore , It will keep the older fan while attracting Newer fan.
    So , Pokemon Adventure can go as long as Kusaka lives !

  6. #51
    Legendary Pokemon クリスタル's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Digital World
    Posts
    431
    Follow クリスタル On Twitter

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I don't like people talking about the Pokemon characterization in Special Manga where they act like animal for feels like Digimon, whereas Pokemon in the Anime had better characterization because they shown to have more "in-depth" and human-like characteristics which makes it look interesting and more "living".

    Firstly, there are a few points I would like to contest:

    1) Whatever media that was first introduced would seed the "canon" characterization viewpoint in our head. The very first Pokemon product that came out into the market was the game, not the anime. So, the first original characterization of Pokemon was made to be like the game, a creature that have animal-like instinct but yet contain intelligence that rivals human. Generally they are unable to speak human language, but shown to be able to comprehend human language (but have no further clarification is the Pokemon understand the human language only up to the levels of dog react to the command "Sit!", or fully understand just like how human will comprehend).
    Therefore, you can't compare Pokemon like Digimon, because Digimon speaks human language, which consequentially made Digimon to have human characteristics, and developers of Digimon also treat each Digimon as like human characters.
    And yet, you can't compare Pokemon like animals in our world, because they have intelligence much higher than ordinary animals. Although they can't speak our language, the Pokemon can still comprehend your word. So they may laugh if you talk jokes to them, they may cry if you tell them a sad story, they may get angry if you insult them, etc. Also, although they still contain animal-like instincts, they also each have their own personalities. Even for the same species of Pokemon, there will be the courageous ones and the timid ones.
    So, Pokemon is a kind of character on its own. It is not comparable to Digimon, nor Monster summoned in Yu-gi-oh, also not monster in Monster Hunter, nor animals in our world.

    2) Based on the above viewpoint, Pokemon thus then should not treat in the same way as like human characters. What I meant by that is not only in their personalities, but also in their way of actions and reactions and lifestyles towards certain things.
    Say for examples, animals do not have intellectual mind-set for the concept of "romance love", they don't attracts to each other because their personalities matches with each other. Animals of different gender were attract to each other only because of chemical reactions with the pheromone of each other. Therefore, there is no flirting and love-chatting in the animal kingdom, where such behaviours and actions were only seeable between humans.
    Pokemon are not human characters, although they may have IQ close to human's brain, their livelihood were more close to animals, so one should eliminate those subtle emotions that exist only in human characters, such as mental love interest, shame and dishonour, fear towards religious rules, etc. Also, Pokemon will not have desires that were only for human, such as desire for knowledges, desire for authority/power (do not mean physical battling power in this context), desire for domination, desire for everlasting wealth, etc.
    In the anime, the developer put too much effort into making the Pokemon human-like, such as making them dress in human clothing even without the deliberate forcing from the trainer (exception to TR's Meowth), talking to both human and other Pokemon as like speaking a language, make the Pokemon react exactly in the same manner as like human towards certain incidents, even the wild Pokemon tried to solve a problem using the human mind-set. That in the opposite make Pokemon non-Pokemon-like, and unable to pull off as human-character because they are no human from the start. This gives quite an odd feeling whenever I watch the anime, because in the eyes of me as an audience, I never look Pokemon character in the same way as human character, but the developer tried to force Pokemon to be human by giving them too much human characteristics.
    If you have so many human-shaped monsters as like in Digimon, I can still accept, but human-shaped Pokemon contribute only a small proportion in the whole dex, so forcing Pokemon to be like human is just awkward.

    3) An "in-depth" Pokemon characterization with human-like characteristic =/= better characterization, and it doesn't make a Pokemon more "living" either.
    I see many people said Pokemon in anime had a better characterization because... how to say it, independent? The Pokemon were like a character on their own where each had their distinct personality, and you can't see that in Pokemon Special Manga. I will really wanted to argue over that!!!
    In Pokemon Special, each Pokemon also had their own personalities. Although it might not be so outspoken and manifestly identifiable as like in the anime, but still each shown to have personalities, which is not just some written data in the middle pages of the book. Their personalities were more clearly seen in situation outside battles.
    Say for instance, Red's Pika had quite a naughty and mischievous personality, it can be seen from the scene where it shocks Red when he tried to have a handshake with it in the RGB saga, and it also shocks Bill in the FrLg immediately upon the reunion on SeaGallop. Somehow, you can also tell it from its personal battle style when the time it was not instructed by its trainer. Then, Gold's Polibo can be seen to be quite shy and timid when they time it was still a Poliwag. Crystal's Megaree is very docile and obedient, which is not just hardy as it said in its data. Emerald's Sceptile was then seem to be quite quick-tempered from the scene it used Iron Tail on both Ruby and Sapphire upon the first encounter, and just beat Ruby up for remembering the word said by the boy during the very first time he chose between Mudkip and Treecko. The list can went on and on, you just need to be keen on these subtle incidents to see the natures of the Pokemon.
    Well, the Pokemon in the anime show very clearly they each had distinctive personalities, which can be seen very obviously from their behaviours, "conversations" between humans and other Pokemon, action they decided to took and reaction towards certain actions they received. However, their characterization receive the same treatment just like the human characters in the show, which the biggest problem is flanderization. To tell the truth, I can't tell what is the personality of Ash's Pikachu in nowadays, because the characterization of the Pokemon was also fading away just like Ash. The Oshawott in the BW series is then the perfect example of instant flanderization, where its faulty characteristics were exaggerated to almost overwrite its "useful" characteristic in story-development viewpoint.

    Flanderization is just so overabundant in the Pokemon anime, where this problem is not only exist in the human characters, but also for Pokemon characters. Therefore, as you see, the way of portraying Pokemon in the anime doesn't guarantee Pokemon to be "better" characterize either. In fact, I just think it rather ruins the Pokemon itself as an animal-like creature but with human IQ.

    In the Special Manga, Pokemon's characterization were made to the fine level of "Show, don't Tell". You don't need to tell us what their personalities are, but yet I can see it from the plot itself, and there are background data in the middle to give more informations if you doubt the nature of trainers' Pokemon.
    And also, I like the way how Special Manga portray the Pokemon, because it actually matches the original ethic definition of Pokemon as like it was first introduced in the game.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

  7. #52
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Land of imbeciles (USA)
    Posts
    133
    Blog Entries
    1
    Add reorio on Facebook

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    The anime has slews of forgettable one-time characters that do little more than waste time I could've spent playing some mediocre video game like Unreal Tournament instead, and thanks to Game Freak evidently not wanting Ash to change the whole fanbase is stuck with his perpetually immature ass for probably the remainder of the show... so Adventures wins points for making more use of that, though its art is just as crappy as the anime because the first artist had a seizure or something and the second artist is probably bored sick after 12 years. I haven't been keeping up with either of them for over a year now, especially the anime as I think it's been comparable to Delgo and a Princess Tutu reject in writing for like a billion years, but the manga's kinda been slogging for a few volumes as I think it's past volume 45 or something and I've grown tired of it as well.

    Plus while I think people who staunchly defend da anime just saying it used to be good back in the 90's and how it gives Pokemon personality or some stuff like that kind of sound biased, but I don't appreciate the load fo Special fans who make topics like this in every manga forum to just argue over how lackluster the anime is compared to a boys' comic that can take like 10 months to release a volume sometimes and really isn't worth the wait despite being a better adaptation IMO.

    And in the end it really doesn't matter to me, since whatever advantages Special might have with its edge in writing or attempt to keep a continuity going... the anime sells like hotcakes among most kindergarten kids or elementary school viewers and no manga can really compete with a show that goes on air on a children's tv station for over 15 years and onward.
    Last edited by reorio; 7th April 2013 at 04:47 PM.

  8. #53
    本物の神様 FANG-TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    マサラタウン
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    82
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by reorio View Post
    Plus while I think people who staunchly defend da anime just saying it used to be good back in the 90's and how it gives Pokemon personality or some stuff like that kind of sound biased,
    How's that biased? Most people who said the anime had more personality in terms of Pokemon said that was the only thing going for it over Special, in their opinion. And saying the show used to be alright in its initial run, yet lackluster nowadays, is hardly biased.

    ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

  9. #54
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Land of imbeciles (USA)
    Posts
    133
    Blog Entries
    1
    Add reorio on Facebook

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    The anime at least tries to treat each Pokemon as a living character, whereas Special tends to treat them all as dumb beasts and marginalize them in favour of human-centered drama. Therefore, anime > Special.

    And before someone says something about the anime's "endless filler' or Ash never accomplishing something, consider that Special introduces endless droves of new protagonists and them boots them out of the spotlight whenever the new games come around whether they're accomplished anything or not. It's really not any better.

    Can't really say anything about the other manga series, though.
    It's posts like this I'm talking about. the anime in my opinion pretty much has those 'advantages' over Adventures or any other non-TV based medium imo because it runs weekly and it's rare to find an in game location that takes over an episode or two to cover (I mean the last time I watched a totally game based event that took more than 2 episodes was like the Cyrus thing or something... and it wasn't even that significant). Meaning a lot of fillers like the Pokemon getting lost during the shipwreck thing back in Kanto are going to occur and they will try to dawdle forever like on Dewford Town when they're on a part of the game that can eat up a lot of time. And even then they're pretty short on this character drama between those Pokemon ddespite DP for example being 100% based on the Sinnoh games and lasting almost 200 episodes. Ample enough time for shows like One Piece to cover more than 2 dozen volumes and produce far more drama when the StrawHat crew is still only around 7-8 men, and even in 1980s shows like Dragon ball that's 40 episodes into Z and done with the original. At which point they're on Namek already.

    But anyway, by "staunchly defending the pokemon anime" I was referring to the type of people who make posts like that, not necessarily those that try to marginalize the show's flaws in general. It's okay to bash but I don't find countering someone's claims of your favorite show being bad for whatever reason with one liner pagraphs like those tasteful, plus he basically gave one reason the anime is better and dodged a point that many anime critics point fingers at more or less.

    but in the end, Special's got a whole slew of flaws so I don't feel that great looking like I go out of my way to defend it.
    Last edited by reorio; 7th April 2013 at 07:34 PM.

  10. #55
    本物の神様 FANG-TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    マサラタウン
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    82
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by reorio View Post
    It's posts like this I'm talking about. the anime in my opinion pretty much has those 'advantages' over Adventures or any other non-TV based medium imo because it runs weekly and it's rare to find an in game location that takes over an episode or two to cover (I mean the last time I watched a totally game based event that took more than 2 episodes was like the Cyrus thing or something... and it wasn't even that significant). Meaning a lot of fillers like the Pokemon getting lost during the shipwreck thing back in Kanto are going to occur and they will try to dawdle forever like on Dewford Town when they're on a part of the game that can eat up a lot of time. And even then they're pretty short on this character drama between those Pokemon ddespite DP for example being 100% based on the Sinnoh games and lasting almost 200 episodes. Ample enough time for shows like One Piece to cover more than 2 dozen volumes and produce far more drama when the StrawHat crew is still only around 7-8 men, and even in 1980s shows like Dragon ball that's 40 episodes into Z and done with the original. At which point they're on Namek already.
    That's true and a very good point. The points listed in the post you quoted seem to be quite biased. The anime is released at a different pace, and although the fillers give the illusion of them caring to give as much time as they can to the character/Pokemon interaction, it's merely a means to keep the anime going until the next generation rolls around, and they don't really use much of that time to write anything truly worthwhile as drama anyway. At least not anymore. It pretty much sends Satoshi off to the next region whenever new games are released and everything in the previous region is treated as old news. The Special manga may introduce new characters every arc, but at least it tries to accomplish something while doing it. Saying that Special is inferior because it... attempts to put effort (?) into its narrative is clearly grasping for straws and is biased. Special has basic stories with a beginning, middle, and end, and some people just don't get that. Ending a character's story doesn't mean a character's disposable... it's common sense.

    Although I still think the anime genuinely did a better job of showcasing the Pokemon's personalities back in Kanto (a time period of the anime which I feel deserves to be called a good anime that was worth following, at least for what it was; an all-ages adventure show) while providing a fair amount of decent character drama/human emotion at the same, when the pace (in terms of progression) was more or less the same as Special (aside from the gaps to the seventh and eighth badges, which even then still had quality episodes in between). It was certainly no Cowboy Bebop, but I feel that there were a handful of episodes in the 90s, even the fillers, that weren't downright unwatchable to anime fans in general as compared to today. Just getting that out there, which more or less goes with your point that a Pokemon adaptation does better with... well, less padding and an intention of accomplishing something, given the source material (which is probably why more effort seemed to be put into the early episodes, aside from the battles - it was originally going to have an actual conclusion).

    But anyway, by "staunchly defending the pokemon anime" I was referring to the type of people who make posts like that, not necessarily those that try to marginalize the show's flaws in general. It's okay to bash but I don't find countering someone's claims of your favorite show being bad for whatever reason with one liner pagraphs like those tasteful, plus he basically gave one reason the anime is better and dodged a point that many anime critics point fingers at more or less.
    Agreed. I certainly dislike it when people compare stories to one another, find one small flaw, and scream that one is better than the other based on that alone. It really peeves me. Same goes with Special fanboys as well. Especially those obnoxious ones that think it's representing the games 100%.

    but in the end, Special's got a whole slew of flaws so I don't feel that great looking like I go out of my way to defend it.
    I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. Considering the anime has a lot more flaws than Special, which has flaws that are mostly just self-contained in individual arcs, calling out people who pull BS out of their ass seems natural, whether Special's a masterful story or not.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 8th April 2013 at 01:52 AM.

    ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

  11. #56
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Land of imbeciles (USA)
    Posts
    133
    Blog Entries
    1
    Add reorio on Facebook

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    A like well deserved

    Good points there also, though I don't disagree with any of them either.

  12. #57

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I don't hate how the Pokemon Anime portrays Pokemon (so long as their animal side isn't forgotten) as it can be amusing and entertaining. I'm against it being considered the "right" way of depicting Pokemon as there's more than one way to interpret something.

  13. #58
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Icy Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Distortion World
    Posts
    42

    Follow Icy Angel on Tumblr Visit Icy Angel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I prefer manga over animation, because the mangas are more for the teens. The animation is a better choice to the younger kids because there's never actually any darkness, an easy plotline, and a never ending story (that can become pretty boring), but manga's better for the older people in my opinion because there's some minor swearing, blood, and it portrays the Pokemon in a not-always amusing and happy way, but more of all directions. The characters in the manga also have some odds and adds, too, and delve deeper into their personality. Just my thought.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE THE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  14. #59
    本物の神様 FANG-TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    マサラタウン
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    82
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I don't hate how the Pokemon Anime portrays Pokemon (so long as their animal side isn't forgotten) as it can be amusing and entertaining. I'm against it being considered the "right" way of depicting Pokemon as there's more than one way to interpret something.
    Agreed. A couple of weeks ago, I was arguing with someone on the forums about how the anime's "de facto" way of portraying a handful of the Gym Leaders isn't the only way of portraying them, let alone the "right way". Needless to say, it got on my fandom nerves. I hate it when Pokemon fans treat aspects of a certain canon as more official than others.

    The transparent Monster Balls in Special are pretty awesome and makes more sense than typical interpretations of them, but that doesn't mean every other Pokemon canon is wrong for not incorporating that feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by .Crystal View Post
    I prefer manga over animation, because the mangas are more for the teens.
    The various Pokemon manga series (there's more than one) are aimed at the same audience as the anime. Not teens.

    You can't possibly be implying that Pocket Monsters Chamo-Chamo ★ Pretty ♪ and Getto Da Ze! are darker and edgier compared to the anime. :P And Special is released under the Viz Kids label in the west, while the Japanese editions are found in the kid sections of Japanese bookstores.

    The animation is a better choice to the younger kids because there's never actually any darkness
    Dark storylines in the anime-verse? Well, to name a few: A handful of episodes among the first eighty, the Mewtwo/Dr. Fuji/Ai story (dead daughter, human cloning, Pokemon clones and a clone of a little girl dying toegther on-screen, the meaning of existence, etc.), the Entei/Mi story, and the Lucario movie. Nuff' said.

    The various manga series do a better job of telling their stories overall, but I wouldn't say the anime series never has dark/tragic stories.

    but manga's better for the older people in my opinion because there's some minor swearing, blood, and it portrays the Pokemon in a not-always amusing and happy way, but more of all directions. The characters in the manga also have some odds and adds, too, and delve deeper into their personality. Just my thought.
    Special (which I'm assuming you're referring to when you say "the manga") has the same amount of "swearing" as the anime. Mostly because the Japanese language doesn't really have swear words, just really rude language in different contexts. The Japanese version of the anime has Satoshi and other characters throwing "shimatta", "kuso", "temee", and sometimes "bakayarou" around as much as Red and other characters do in Special (and always in similar contexts). "Bakayarou", for example, can be taken to mean bastard or "dumbass" in many anime/manga translations, but it's really just a demeaning way of calling someone a moron. I don't know what translation of the manga you're reading, but whatever is kept as "swearing" there shouldn't be compared to the dialogue present in the English version of the anime, just for the sake of fairness.

    On the topic of the manga being a little more graphic than the TV anime, this is what I posted on another thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    Pocket Monsters Ruby & Sapphire or Pocket Monsters Special RS saga? And there's more than a few manga series based on Black and White.

    While I was at Kinokuniya (Japanese book store), there were quite a few kids gawking at the Pokemon manga in the children's manga section while most of the teens and adults were browsing elsewhere. The Pokemon manga series are mainly designed to appeal to children, but there are elements that could be considered appealing to older age groups as well. The one thing I think that separates the anime and manga series like Pokemon Special, is that the anime dips into the kodomo range, while the manga series tends to be third grade and up (in many cases with recent series, somewhat shounen). There's also the fact that Japanese comics are allowed to get away with more things than Japanese cartoons, so even if they are both aimed at the same audience, a manga will sometimes feel like it's appealing to an older audience when it's just the mangaka exercising the freedoms they have within the medium. Ono's bodacious fanservice in his manga interpretation of the anime is one extreme example.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 12th April 2013 at 01:14 AM.

    ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

  15. #60
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

    I'm sick & tried of People saying Pokemon adventure is too dark & Mature for Kids .
    Didn't any of them watched Inazuma Eleven , Beyblade , Rockman , Bakugun , Duel Master , Scan2go , Danball senki , Battle B-Daman, Sgt Keroro and Yugioh Zexal!
    Those are kids anime and Pokemon Adventure is just as mature as them !
    People saying the Anime trying to showcase the game localization and that why the story sucks.
    SHOWCASING THE GAME MY FOOT !
    Writer turn Battle Subway into Stump collecting game, Ignored Triple Battling , Ignored Battle cafe , Ignored White forest & Black city , Hardly showcase the Stadium , Ignored dragon spiral Tower and also a lot of cool function from the game !
    The Manga also does better advertisement for the game while creating good Stories !
    Seriously ,
    If Only Japanese fan actually try to do something.
    At least then Writer Wouldn't afford to get this low .
    Really @FANG-TAN,
    Doesn't Japanese fan has any way to sent their world to those idiot anime Stuff .
    Because Those people obviously doesn't know what they are doing .
    Chances are , The next series might be call Pokemon Doki Doki !
    Somebody has to go to them and set them in right way .
    Somebody has to tell them to -
    Create A series that focus on Ash winning the League , not just reaching it !
    Make Gen VI series Ash's last Journey where Ash become Pokemon Master and then replace him .
    What the worst can happen if Writer make Ash a Pokemon Master & replace him with a new Protagonist ?
    That the Older fan might not accept it and leave the show !
    BUT DOESN'T POKEMON ONLY CARE ABOUT NEWER FAN ???
    And they must drop the idea of a new beginning.
    Ash is a protagonist who lasted for 15 year ! There is no new Beginning for him , not anymore ! It time for Ash to set out for his final journey , not for a new beginning!
    There is no excuse for the pathetic writing in Anime .
    No matter how many excuse Pokemon Anime Writer's lackey come up with .
    Newer fan , Marketing , advertisement ! None of worth enough for that Pathetic writing.
    I mean , They could have ''N'' beating Ash in Unova League final . Then break Ash's sprite But his friend encourage him . He train under Draydan & Brycen to control the power of the Dark stone. Then When ''N'' Beat Alder in Champion League and awaken his castle , Ash went to the top of the Castle to have his rematch against ''N'' ! Afterward Ash head to a Battle academy to further increase his skill and get himself new rival but the school hide secret's about Legendary Pokemon that a Evil force want to obtain . So Ash has to deal with school competition while uncovering the secret .
    In the Current Anime , N IS A CHARACTER WHO'S SPECIALTY IS GETTING BEAT UP BY OTHER POKEMON !
    I should have known that those Anime trash stuff will ruin ''N'' !
    So ,
    Now We need a series where Ash is unbeatable like previous Yugioh Protagonist and Competent like Pokemon adventure Protagonist.
    That right , Anime need Ash to become a mature character he should have become after all the experience he had for 15 year !
    For example , Any person who has same experience as Ash would become a expert in dealing with Bad guy.
    That Ash will no longer need a older brother stereotype to look after him !
    Instate he has a hyperactive , Younger-looking & Fun loving immature Male cast and A knowledgeable girl who would depend on him.
    Calling the Current Anime better then Manga also mean Insulting other HARDWORING Manga Arthur Who actually work instate of Slack off all day like Anime Writer !
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 12th April 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •