Is Pokemon Adventures worth getting? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is Pokemon Adventures worth getting?

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: Is Pokemon Adventures worth getting?

Didn't they edit the scene with the woman taking a "bath" with her Tentacool? I would imagine so, they probably wouldn't let a reference to disgusting tentacle sex pass by.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

To answer your question, the only visual edits so far are Jynx being recolored (from black to purple) in all appearances, Blue (girl)'s Pokeboob trick being edited, and Crys' mother slapping her edited into a glare. There are a few other edits than that, but they're all dialogue edits.

As for getting the series, I'd definitely recommend it. It's great, and if you liked what you read in the first edition then there is no reason why you shouldn't still like it. As for what version to get though...it depends. Taking into account everything you said it sounds like you would prefer the Chuang Yi version, but the only problem is you can only buy it online (unless you live in Singapore) and it is a bit more expensive than Viz's versions. I hate to say it, but unless you change your mind about the edits in Viz's releases or can buy things online/don't mind it being a bit more expensive it sounds like you won't be able to get either release.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    Beyond that, the colors of the covers pretty much match the Japanese ones.
    Yep, every volume aside from the first three volumes have the same colors as the Japanese ones, and every volume aside from 1 and 4 use the Japanese content of the covers as well. The only difference (aside from the English title, volume number, and artist/author name) is the covers have a digital block background instead of the background on the original cover. (except for the DP release, which uses the original Japanese cover backgrounds) And the only difference on the backcovers (besides a different summary and volume 1 having a different backcover art) is the back uses a digital block background (The DP release uses the same background that the front cover has) the same color as the front volume as well. (compared to Japan, where the backcover was white aside from the picture and summary)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    The contents on the covers of first and fourth volumes in the second edition are different from the Japanese version, but that's still minor.
    Just to note what the changes are: Volume 1 had the front cover and backcover image flipped due to not wanting to have a similar color to one of the "Best of" volumes, and volume 4 used a colored-in image of a random panel from within the volume as the cover to avoid having a similar cover to one of the "Best Of" volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Didn't they edit the scene with the woman taking a "bath" with her Tentacool? I would imagine so, they probably wouldn't let a reference to disgusting tentacle sex pass by.
    Nope! :P They left it in tact.

I say the volumes are worth getting. I wasn't lucky enough to have read the first prints from '99 so I can't compare them to these 2nd editions, but as everyone else said, the translations are great with some minor goof ups here & there, a few minor color & text edits, & that's it really. The biggest issues I had with the 2nd editions were the editing of Blue's pokeboob scene & Kris's mom smacking sense into her, as those scenes evoked certain emotions, but I digress, it's still not a reason to not buy these volumes/support the volume releases. oh, & Blue is still Green & Green is still Blue -.-

kinda off topic, hope you don't mind Rai, but I see no need to make a thread for what I'm about to ask since this thread is here; is it worth getting the Pokemon Adventures: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum? Sounds kinda stupid, but I'm skeptical of it due to the name change -.-
    claims: Surfing Pikachu, Color Change, Pidgeotto, Johanna (<3)

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin Fiasco View Post
    I say the volumes are worth getting. I wasn't lucky enough to have read the first prints from '99 so I can't compare them to these 2nd editions, but as everyone else said, the translations are great with some minor goof ups here & there, a few minor color & text edits, & that's it really. The biggest issues I had with the 2nd editions were the editing of Blue's pokeboob scene & Kris's mom smacking sense into her, as those scenes evoked certain emotions, but I digress, it's still not a reason to not buy these volumes/support the volume releases. oh, & Blue is still Green & Green is still Blue -.-

kinda off topic, hope you don't mind Rai, but I see no need to make a thread for what I'm about to ask since this thread is here; is it worth getting the Pokemon Adventures: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum? Sounds kinda stupid, but I'm skeptical of it due to the name change -.-
    It's the same manga. Viz just decided to release volume 30+ as a different series for whatever reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Eitaroo View Post
    It's the same manga. Viz just decided to release volume 30+ as a different series for whatever reason...
    Yeah, I knew it was part of the Adventure series, just wasn't sure if the title signified not only its own change but a change in translation, edits, etc. I'm cautious with some of the manga Viz releases >.> but meh, thanks for clearing it up
    claims: Surfing Pikachu, Color Change, Pidgeotto, Johanna (<3)

Blog Entries

Lupin does bring up a good point. It does make me wonder if they changed the story so that it would 'make sense', considering that Viz had no intention of doing RS, FRLG and Emerald before it. Not to mention the fact that they haven't finished the GSC arc, and are now moving onto BW without finishing DPP first or starting on HGSS...

Now that I think about it, it makes me wonder if Viz only started to do the GSC arc for the sole sake of HGSS's release...

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

It's only worth getting if you're already familiar with the other arcs through the Chuang Yi version. Because following the series through Viz's releases is just a big headache. Any other reason would be for collection purposes and supporting the manga in the states, so they can release more.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Blog Entries

And apparently you failed to notice that I cannot online shop.

So I cannot get Chuang Yi version even if I wanted to. And believe me, if I could, I would. But I cannot.

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ain't touching it. Say what you will, but I'm not comfortable reading about a world where TRAINERS can get killed in battle. No thanks, give me the games or anime any day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikachuColoredPichu View Post
    I ain't touching it. Say what you will, but I'm not comfortable reading about a world where TRAINERS can get killed in battle. No thanks, give me the games or anime any day.
    No offense, but I already know that, and in a way, prefer its realism. What I was asking was regards to the second edition and stuff, that's only what really mattered to me.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Marshall View Post
    And apparently you failed to notice that I cannot online shop.

So I cannot get Chuang Yi version even if I wanted to. And believe me, if I could, I would. But I cannot.
    Read my post again. I wasn't suggesting that. -_-

If you're trying to follow this series in order via Viz's releases, it's going to be a giant headache since they're doing the same thing they did with YGO. So it's either because of collection purposes (knew the story beforehand and just want to own it), to support the series (so they will continue to release more), or the last reason, you don't mind. It's really your choice.

You act as if the manga is a bloodbath. Read it before you judge because that's FAAAAAR off of what it actually is.
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 23rd June 2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Kayi-chan likes this.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    You act as if the manga is a bloodbath. Read it before you judge because that's FAAAAAR off of what it actually is.
    It's crappy for other reasons. And yes, I have read it. As much as I could stand.

But that's not the point of the thread. Anyway, Rai, since you said you liked the original releases, I can't really advise you.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The manga isn't that bad, really. There's only something that looks like blood in one of the earlier chapters, and that's it.

Also, RB = Pretty dark compared to the anime too. Just look at TR and the marowak.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
    It's crappy for other reasons. And yes, I have read it. As much as I could stand.

But that's not the point of the thread. Anyway, Rai, since you said you liked the original releases, I can't really advise you.
    That wasn't even directed at you. Why are you acting like it was?

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    The manga isn't that bad, really. There's only something that looks like blood in one of the earlier chapters, and that's it.

Also, RB = Pretty dark compared to the anime too. Just look at TR and the marowak.
    Well....there is this...

Blog Entries

There's also the moments where the main characters were turned to stone, Giovanni almost got killed in a fire, and Koga's Arbok who got sliced in half and yet somehow managed to revive itself. Other villains got trapped in other dimensions before.

The only death that I can think of was when two Magmar got frozen before being shattered to pieces. None of the deaths are 'bloodbaths' or graphic at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast