SPECIAL: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special - Page 5

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

Blog Entries

Default Re: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    It's some of the stuff in Emerald and onwards that I hate.
    DPPt and BW are not bad so far and fairly entertaining for me.

追放されたバカ
    Keepin' mah prized red Duskull caged up?! Ya bet your ass.
    Blog Entries

Platinum is rushed and sucks in more ways than one, while DP was ravaged by making both the protagonists the chapter's named after be Platinum's sidekicks, mostly. I still managed to enjoy some parts, but DP (and Pt especially) were a letdown to me. Couldn't stay on par. At least the author had the decency to expand on the horrible magazine ending for that.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MageLeif View Post
    I've read the first book online, but stopped after that because I would MUCH rather buy actual copies and read them from a physical book. Otherwise the whole experience is just so diminished. I did buy one of the Gold/Silver/Crystal books (13?) at an anime convention, but I'm saving up money so I can just go ahead and buy every book in the series at once from Amazon or some other similar site. Besides, the author doesn't get anything in return if you read it for free.

I have heard only good things about the manga for years and years, and honestly this thread is the very first time I've heard negative things about it. This does not sway my opinion on it though. I really enjoyed reading the first book online, and will wait however long it takes for me to get all the manga books.
    Yeah, I'm trying to catch up on all the volumes too, and I can't wait to read it and support the author/artist! I'd never heard anything negative until this thread either, actually, I think the art is cute and well-done, and the characters are likeable. Especially Pearl and Silver. Though I must agree that Platinum tends to hog the show in DP/Pt, which is a shame, since Diamond and Pearl are pretty entertaining alone. I just hope the R/S/E and Fr/Lg chapters get an official release overseas.

Blog Entries

While Platinum does hog the focus, she is a pretty interesting character in that she's a rich girl experiencing the world for the first time and relishing it. At least so far. Though it'd be better if the focus was balanced well between her and her "bodyguards," Dia and Pearl.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Well, her origins regardless, it did kinda suck that Dia and Pearl didn't get parts of the story dedicated just to themselves 'til, like, the trio split up to defend the lakes, and Platinum does so at every gym (and the one contest she participated in). I liked it a lot better during the RS arc, where despite Ruby getting more limelight towards the end the focus was almost equal, barring the fact that Sapphire was based on the "rival" May and Ruby the protagonist Brendan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    barring the fact that Sapphire was based on the "rival" May and Ruby the protagonist Brendan.
    That depends on who's playing what gender.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

The player has Norman for a father, and the rival is Birch's kid.
    matt0044 likes this.

Friendly Neighbourhood... Spidey7's Avatar

I dislike Special a lot.

It's my least favourite part of this entire franchise by far.

It's really not very funny, the characters are cliche, the art can get really low-quality at times during the second artist's run, and it gets so much attention (which it doesn't deserve) that none of the other, much-better, manga get any recognition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey7 View Post
    I dislike Special a lot.

It's my least favourite part of this entire franchise by far.

It's really not very funny, the characters are cliche, the art can get really low-quality at times during the second artist's run, and it gets so much attention (which it doesn't deserve) that none of the other, much-better, manga get any recognition.
    I respect your thoughts but if you think Pokemon Special is bad, then you probably hate the Pokemon Anime. It has cliches beyond cliches and they're barely done well. At least Special doesn't have a repetitive plot with bland CoTDs each story and an annoying trio of criminals that trail the Main Character(s) all the time.

Plus, people have legit reasons for liking the series.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I respect your thoughts but if you think Pokemon Special is bad, then you probably hate the Pokemon Anime. It has cliches beyond cliches and they're barely done well. At least Special doesn't have a repetitive plot with bland CoTDs each story and an annoying trio of criminals that trail the Main Character(s) all the time.

Plus, people have legit reasons for liking the series.
    The anime does so much stuff better, though. Better battles, better teams, better fanbase, better humour, better Pokemon interactions (believe it or not, the franchise is about Pokemon), better art, better captures, better rivals, not to mention it can actually create original characters instead of ripping them off of Gamefreak like Kasuka and Yamamoto...I could go on for a while.
    Last edited by Spidey7; 2nd November 2011 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries

The anime does so much stuff better, though. Better battles, better teams, better fanbase, better humour, better Pokemon interactions (believe it or not, the franchise is about Pokemon), better art, better captures, better rivals, not to mention it can actually create original characters instead of ripping them off of Gamefreak like Kasuka and Yamamoto...I could go on for a while.
    I sorta disagree to an extend but the Anime does entertain me oftenly. And yeah, I admit that the Pokemon are better portrayed in the Anime than in Special (though the games don't show them with real personalities like in the Anime so I see where Special got the idea) and the battles are cool, especially in later episodes of AG, DP and BW. However, it can get really repetitive and annoying to me. The characters are sometimes and often two-dimensional, it repeats story ideas to the point that they're ripping off themselves, Team Rocket is annoying before BW where they're just bland, the other evil teams are barely featured like in the games (which I HATE), Ash and his friends are never shown reaching their goals any time soon, Ash is still ten and hasn't won a single league and there's so much more wrong with the show that we'd be hear all year discussing it.

Also, Kusaka "rips off" from GameFreak because he's making a Pokemon Manga based on the main series games so naturally, they'd have the characters from GameFreak's Pokemon games. DUH! And I imagine Nintendo and GameFreak gives Kusaka permission to use their characters and concepts.

Also, Kusaka DOES make original characters like Green, Yellow, Emerald and other characters who don't appear in the games.

P.S. The fanbase for the Pokemon Anime are like any fanbase: Unpleaseable, demanding and more. Same with the Pokemon Manga fanbase and every other fanbase. No fanbase is perfect.
    Kenshi and Saiga like this.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

And it can shaft/ignore characters horribly. That's one thing I actually appreciate about Special that the anime severely lacks. Special actually respects continuity and doesn't shaft game characters (however small) in favour of COTD's.

It's a no brainer 90% of the fanbase would've rather see the likes of Brendan or Leaf in an episode than a COTD.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

So you like original characters, do you? I'll bet you greatly enjoy the fact that the recreants of Ass's crew are all either based upon player characters or NPCs, that these so-called original characters, regardless of their origins or order and frequency of appearance, are all shallow as crap, the "humor" is dated beyond words to the point that some daresay that had it better the first 90 episodes than currently, and after over 700 episodes not one of Ass and his companions have reached any of their goals save the mission to change their wardrobe every time a "new" series comes up.

Oh, and better art? Yamamoto is far from the ideal manga artist in favor of godly figures like Miura, Urasawa, Katsura, Inoue, or Nihei (and hell, even Iwaaki and his super-awesome story that the art can't compete with), and despite favoring Mato I can't find real qualities in her that I can really label god-class, but the crappytastic, "meh" animation in a show my online anime buddies and I label pseudo-anime (either that or "disgrace to all that is animated") coming close to even their ability to detail out and distinguish characters from one another through actual features not found on the games can teach you your folly should you even glimpse at as far as volume three.

I'm sorry, but when you open your post with "I really, really dislike this" and list biased reasons such as these (the funniest of them complaining about game characters appearing in a game-based manga), you lose any points left to try and be taken seriously. Runner-up would be "better captures," quite the hypocritical post to make when after Ass's gone through 5 regions, one of which he traveled through twice, he hasn't caught a tenth of the known Pokemon up to this generation (even with his multiple starters and the fact that his show's been running for a teenager's lifespan), a feat which you're expected to achieve before even getting the National Pokedex on certain games. Also, Paul and Gary are the cheapest rivals yet, and the fact that they've even kept them from fighting in the finals of any league just shows how much Green has over them in any department. Also, wasn't being truthful to the games a good thing last I checked?

Seriously man, I mean no offense, but you make no sense. I don't even like, say, Super Effective, and can find no feasible reason as to why you'd be as harshly critical of it as you are, and yet prefer the anime of all things. If they even matured slightly through the hundreds upon hundreds of episodes they've wasted helping out CODs that pop out like worms lusting for damp soil, you might have a bit more of a point, but as you are now, a certain person on the first page has much to teach you in the realm of criticism.
    Last edited by Kenshi; 2nd November 2011 at 08:13 PM.
    himanuts and matt0044 like this.

Blog Entries

Agreed on the Pokemon interactions and the original characters. There's really no excuse for them basically treating the reason the franchise exists as living plot devices to focus on the human characters who aren't even that interesting in their own right. And if I wanted to retread the exact same characters from the games I'd play the games again. The anime might have its share of flaws but at least it brings something new into the story the games started.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I sorta disagree to an extend but the Anime does entertain me oftenly. And yeah, I admit that the Pokemon are better portrayed in the Anime than in Special (though the games don't show them with real personalities like in the Anime so I see where Special got the idea) and the battles are cool, especially in later episodes of AG, DP and BW. However, it can get really repetitive and annoying to me. The characters are sometimes and often two-dimensional,
    And Special's characters aren't? Please.

it repeats story ideas to the point that they're ripping off themselves, Team Rocket is annoying before BW where they're just bland, the other evil teams are barely featured like in the games (which I HATE), Ash and his friends are never shown reaching their goals any time soon, Ash is still ten and hasn't won a single league and there's so much more wrong with the show that we'd be hear all year discussing it.
    Ash has won 2 leagues, thank you very much, and the same can clearly go for the manga.

Also, Kusaka "rips off" from GameFreak because he's making a Pokemon Manga based on the main series games so naturally, they'd have the characters from GameFreak's Pokemon games. DUH! And I imagine Nintendo and GameFreak gives Kusaka permission to use their characters and concepts.
    There are plenty of Pokemon Manga that make up their own characters. For main series game adaptions, I give you Pokemon BW: Good Partners, and Pokemon Battle Frontier.

Also, Kusaka DOES make original characters like Green, Yellow, Emerald and other characters who don't appear in the games.
    Oh boy, three characters! It's not like the anime hasn't made, I don't know, dozens of important original characters. Not to mention, Green was based off of concept art of a female player character during the RBG age.

P.S. The fanbase for the Pokemon Anime are like any fanbase: Unpleaseable, demanding and more. Same with the Pokemon Manga fanbase and every other fanbase. No fanbase is perfect.
    The Pokemon Adventures fandom is the worst of the franchise, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu
    And it can shaft/ignore characters horribly. That's one thing I actually appreciate about Special that the anime severely lacks. Special actually respects continuity and doesn't shaft game characters (however small) in favour of COTD's.
    Yeah, they just make those characters evil.

So you like original characters, do you? I'll bet you greatly enjoy the fact that the recreants of Ass's crew are all either based upon player characters or NPCs, that these so-called original characters, regardless of their origins or order and frequency of appearance, are all shallow as crap, the "humor" is dated beyond words to the point that some daresay that had it better the first 90 episodes than currently, and after over 700 episodes not one of Ass and his companions have reached any of their goals save the mission to change their wardrobe every time a "new" series comes up.
    What, and Special's characters aren't shallow? They're all generic cookie-cutters anyway; at least the anime had some guts to put out some OCs once in a while.
    Mhm, and Special is just a comedy goldmine, ammirite?

Is Blue Oak a League Champion? Is Ruby a Contest champion? Are Diamond and Pearl famous comedians?

Oh, and better art? Yamamoto is far from the ideal manga artist in favor of godly figures like Miura, Urasawa, Katsura, Inoue, or Nihei (and hell, even Iwaaki and his super-awesome story that the art can't compete with), and despite favoring Mato I can't find real qualities in her that I can really label god-class, but the crappytastic, "meh" animation in a show my online anime buddies and I label pseudo-anime (either that or "disgrace to all that is animated") coming close to even their ability to detail out and distinguish characters from one another through actual features not found on the games can teach you your folly should you even glimpse at as far as volume three.
    The thing about the anime's art is that, even though the animation might not be god-level, it's consistent. Yamamoto has the effect habit of changing what a character's face looks like every other panel. I must admit I did like Mato's art, though. It was cute.

I'm sorry, but when you open your post with "I really, really dislike this" and list biased reasons such as these (the funniest of them complaining about game characters appearing in a game-based manga), you lose any points left to try and be taken seriously. Runner-up would be "better captures," quite the hypocritical post to make when after Ass's gone through 5 regions, one of which he traveled through twice, he hasn't caught a tenth of the known Pokemon up to this generation (even with his multiple starters and the fact that his show's been running for a teenager's lifespan), a feat which you're expected to achieve before even getting the National Pokedex on certain games. Also, Paul and Gary are the cheapest rivals yet, and the fact that they've even kept them from fighting in the finals of any league just shows how much Green has over them in any department. Also, wasn't being truthful to the games a good thing?
    Quality =/= quantity. I'm referring to cases like Chimchar, where we had an entire arc devoted to that one Pokemon, whereas you have filler-chapter captures like Red's Snorlax in Adventures.

Green is horribly generic. At least Paul has a complex over trying to prove himself that makes him an asshole. Green had no reasoning to be such a jerk, other than Anime Rival Syndrome.

There's a difference between being truthful and being overly dependant. The anime takes elements from the games, and puts its own spin on them, and sure it maybe leaves a thing out or two, but Special seems to follow the plot exactly at times. It can never put its own take on things. You're basically reading the game, and what's the fun in that?

Seriously man, I mean no offense, but you make no sense. I don't even like, say, Super Effective, and can find no feasible reason as to why you'd be as harshly critical of it as you are, and yet prefer the anime of all things. If they even matured slightly through the hundreds upon hundreds of episodes they've wasted helping out CODs, you might have a bit more of a point, but as you are now, a certain person on the first page has much to teach you in the realm of criticism
    Are you actually going to bring up characters maturing as a point...?
    Ash matured from an arrogant dickbag into a pretty polite dude who can just get a little excitable, but is still a competent battler and strategist.
    For less-promient stuff, Dawn learned in the course of her run that she has to be able to deal with losses in her life, Paul learned some humility, and Brock decided to change his life goal.

Am I coming across as that guy? I really don't wanna be that guy. I want people to know that I love this franchise, which is why I'm so opinionated about it.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast