SPECIAL: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special - Page 2

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

Blog Entries

Default Re: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

I've read some chapters, read some summaries and from what I can gather, I'd enjoy the early issues of this series, and then things just got ridiculous for me around GSC, mostly Pryce's goals.

If I really disliked anything from it, it would be its fandom that retroactively attributes plot points from the games, as the games paying a homage to Special. Apparently, GSC took Red's team from Pokemon Special because Red had an Espeon in the GSC-arc or that the hints placed in FrLg about Giovanni's son was inspired by the FrLg arc >_>

Though if there's something I have to give the series credit for using obscure character designs that don't appear in the games.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I really like Pokémon Adventures. Although I've only read the RGB/Y/GSC arcs and some of the DP/BW (basically, what Viz have published), I can't see how it can be considered "dark" yet. I'd say people are confusing having a more focused story as being dark (think about, the RGB arc had to condense the Team Rocket plot into only 3 volumes, and they made some Gym Leaders members to give it the extra kick it needed). For example, how is Pryce's whole agenda any darker than Ghetsis' manipulation of N in the games?

I'll be honest though, I've felt that the series is going downhill in the later arcs (although not as downhill as say, Bleach has gone). However, back in the Yellow arc, we had some incredibly awesome battles, like Blue and Koga vs Agatha.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psystrike View Post
    If I really disliked anything from it, it would be its fandom that retroactively attributes plot points from the games, as the games paying a homage to Special. Apparently, GSC took Red's team from Pokemon Special because Red had an Espeon in the GSC-arc or that the hints placed in FrLg about Giovanni's son was inspired by the FrLg arc >_>
    Wait...what? Seriously, there are people that have actually thought that?

Blog Entries

I really dislike Pokemon Special. I was a fan of it up until the middle of the Ruby and Sapphire arc, but I got sick of it when the author decided that the characters needed some horrible trauma in their backstory to explain why they were a feminine boy and a masculine girl... as though people like that can't exist naturally. I was also pissed off when they set Wally up to be the third Hoenn Pokedex holder (complete with saying that he was the third hero on their website) and then retconning his storyline so he was only borrowing Emerald's Treecko and Pokedex.

Not that I have a problem with Emerald; I just think if that's what they were going for, they should have done that to begin with, and not changed their mind halfway through.

Ruby randomly having a Celebi for no reason just so everyone who died could be brought back to life was fucking stupid and the last straw for me.

Blog Entries

If I really disliked anything from it, it would be its fandom that retroactively attributes plot points from the games, as the games paying a homage to Special. Apparently, GSC took Red's team from Pokemon Special because Red had an Espeon in the GSC-arc
    I can't help but wonder if maybe GSC came before the GSC Adventures chapter... I think that makes the most sense to me. I mean, if it did, then Espeon cannot really be complained about.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Marshall View Post
    I can't help but wonder if maybe GSC came before the GSC Adventures chapter... I think that makes the most sense to me. I mean, if it did, then Espeon cannot really be complained about.
    It did. All Pokemon games come out before the chapters do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Marshall View Post
    My complaint is Special fans misattributing what the source material is, just as you did there.

Blog Entries

My complaint is Special fans misattributing what the source material is, just as you did there.
    Excuse me? I did not once say "Adventures came first." I am PERFECTLY aware that the games came first. I however was just wondering if there was the occasional exception. But it looks like it wasn't. Otherwise, I know that the games came first.

I did not came here to argue. Don't start.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Wow! I can't believe how there's more hate for PokeSpe here than love. It's very depressing actually. That and nobody's going into better detail as to why they hate/love Special.

Super Hall Monitor Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar

Well with a thread like this it's only natural that more people who dislike it would come out to say so.

Anyways I really like the manga, but I always found the FRLG arc massively overrated. It felt like it had all the potential to be a good arc, but largely wasted it by rushing towards the conclusion and only focusing on about 2-3 characters tops.

What I've seen of HGSS looks pretty boring too, which is leading me to believe they're just not very good at doing remake arcs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    Anyways I really like the manga, but I always found the FRLG arc massively overrated. It felt like it had all the potential to be a good arc, but largely wasted it by rushing towards the conclusion and only focusing on about 2-3 characters tops.

What I've seen of HGSS looks pretty boring too, which is leading me to believe they're just not very good at doing remake arcs.
    That's one thing about PokeSpe that bugs me: the pacing. Most of the time, it's way too fast.
    Kayi-chan likes this.

I really love special, and consider it one of my favorite manga series. I like that it's got a good balance of fun lightheartedness, but it isn't afraid of the occasional serious business. I also find a lot of the characters to be very likeable. Each arc changes up the story enough to keep it interesting. I enjoy that the characters actually age. Sure it has some flaws, but they're not enough to bother me. Overall it's one of my favorite interpretations of the pokemon world.
    Naya Rivera and The Froakster like this.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
    The Tr47 | The Website | The Art | The Journal
    Resident fan of Gary, Gligar and Ash's imaginary beard.

Blog Entries

Would anyone else like to share their opinions on the Manga? Hopefully from people who actually read the series and are willing to go into more detail.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

My opinion of the Adventures manga is that it's okay. I bought the "Best of..." books and liked the series, even though I didn't know the chapters were selected. As time went on, I read most of the chapters. I skipped half of the GSC chapter because it did not get my attention until the end of the series and the battle between both the Johto and Kanto leaders. What I like about the series is how some things from beta are contributed in it: Green, Gold's skateboard, and so on. Once I read the RSFRLG chapters, I loved the arcs. Currently, I like where the DPPt and BW chapters are currently going.

What I don't like about the manga is that some chapters are rushed and things get changed. Such an example is Emerald coming into the picture where it seems Wally was gonna be the Emerald by the looks of things. The rushing of the manga also ruins things as the FRLG left me somewhat confused around the end. The pacing issue also seemed to affect badly the HGSS chapter which I did not like. The Disney Death's in the RS chapter were also somewhat of a mood-killer, I guess. For DP, I thought Platinum is getting too much focus as she even has her own arc in Platinum.

Overall, I guess the series is alright because of how it's constructed plot wise but it also has its flaws.

Blog Entries

I really can't say the series is anything more than mediocre. Characterization is rather poor for the human characters and virtually nonexistent for the Pokemon (which seems kinda dumb, since they're the main draw of the series - right there in the title, man), and the plot is way too rushed for me to actually find it engaging. The new-powers-as-the-plot-demands are just as bad as or worse than the ones in the anime. And the nicknames for the Pokemon are seriously horrible. You'd think someone in there would think of something other than (FIRST FEW SYLLABLES OF NAME) (CUTESY SUFFIX). :/
    Grave-E likes this.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast