SPECIAL: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special - Page 11
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

Yeah, the battles have indeed gone down in quality. But it doesn't mean they aren't still creative or exciting.

To be honest, I found some early battles to be a little ridiculous. Yellow vs Super Nerd Miles, anyone?

Puzzle & Dragons Addict Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    Having not read the DP and BW chapters myself (I'd rather wait for the boxsets...), I'm assuming that the battles have gotten a little more ordinary and literal? I do recall the battles in the RBY chapter putting a little more of a spin on things with the way moves were utilized and executed. It could be because back in Gen I and II, there wasn't much to work with and that they kinda had to put a little more imagination into the depictions. That said, the DP and BW chapters do sound disappointing... But that's just my thought.
    That's pretty much it. They're not as creative as they used to be.

Yeah but at the very least, the story holds up of me.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing I realized that I don't like as I read through it is how "mechanical" it feels at times, like the author is too good at planning things ahead and incorporating little game elements that sometimes it feels like he's just going through the motions. I think my opinion on this strengthened when I saw people freaking out over Black 2 and White 2, and how the author would be doomed because every character has to be named after their game, and Black 2 and White 2 would be weird names.

Another thing I've realized is that the early chapters of each Arc, where things are going slower and are more adventurous, are more entertaining to me than the climax of each Arc, which often become extremely cluttered, this problem being especially prominent in the RS Arc where they basically throw in the Elite Four, Regi Trio, and Weather Trio all at once and then have the Mirage Island part as well randomly in the middle of it. And with the Crystal and Fire Red and Leaf Green Arc, I felt the finale was hurt a bit by a rather anti-climatic villain with a pretty lame excuse for his evil plots.

Blog Entries

I kind of have to agree with Quattro ~ Bajeena here about the plots as well. Many of them do seem over the top and a bit rushed to include everything all at once. Like I know the manga cannot be a direct adaption of the games, else it would become too boring and unpredictable, but there should be some sort of pacing for the least. But I also know that it is hard to include some sort of pacing when you're also writing it to coincide with the game releases, too much pacing can also be a bad thing...

And in regards to the protagonists of BW2, I imagine that they're just going to pull another Crystal by having the old protagonists wear the new clothing. I mean, they do kind of look alike, all they need is to change their hair style and they'll look exactly like the new protagonists.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

The pacing is a bit hit and miss at times. I still like the story for all it's worth but the pacing should've been improved. Still, when you have to write about the newest games by orders of Game Freak and your editors, you try to make the best out of a bad situation. It's not solely Kusaka's fault so much as he's being told to wrap things up for the next games. I can understand but I still wish the pacing was better.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And in regards to the protagonists of BW2, I imagine that they're just going to pull another Crystal by having the old protagonists wear the new clothing. I mean, they do kind of look alike, all they need is to change their hair style and they'll look exactly like the new protagonists.
    Really, I think the easiest thing to do would to simply call them, perhaps, "Kuro" and "Shiro".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Really, I think the easiest thing to do would to simply call them, perhaps, "Kuro" and "Shiro".
    Which would not translate well into other languages. And it's still practically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Which would not translate well into other languages. And it's still practically the same thing.
    He could called them whatever he wants. It'd be pretty original and different for this series to do.

Blog Entries

Knowing Kusaka, he's either going to just make the new protagonists the same as the old ones, or give names to the new ones that are variations of the word "Two".

If he goes with the latter, then I predict the boy would be called "Jiro".

I’m really impressed by all Pokémon manga I have read, I find it entertaining to look through. It is nice to have some aspect of Pokémon in print media, take it from eyeballs which tire of the glow of a screen.

The style & tone of the stories are also rather different, to any other aspect of the Pokémon franchise. The quirks of the characters are refreshing; it is also very pleasing to be able to read a manga which doesn’t need to go into being overly violent, for once.

I believe you get more of the feel of an actual young person going out into the world & making something of themselves with the manga, the story I tend to find gripping. I also like the idea of series being split into volumes, which makes reading the next chapter of the story, all the more exciting when you finally get around to it.

To summarize, I’m entirely satisfied with Pokémon manga. I hope it continues in a similar vein long into the future.

Horu Horu no Mi true user Ronflex's Avatar

Sometimes some things that make sense in a videogame context don't work so well in other media, but they put them in anyway. Why would you need a Surf, Strength or Fly HM to just... surf, move rocks and fly? XD Or the whole Kanto Badges thing...
    But these are little points in comparison to what this manga brings to me. I always felt that Pokémon had a higher potential than just "send Ash everywhere to do nothing". I DO love Pokéspe!
    Little OT: I read the Chuang Yi version and they are stuck at Issue 38: Do you know if there are any problems?

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronflex View Post
    Sometimes some things that make sense in a videogame context don't work so well in other media, but they put them in anyway. Why would you need a Surf, Strength or Fly HM to just... surf, move rocks and fly? XD Or the whole Kanto Badges thing...
    But these are little points in comparison to what this manga brings to me. I always felt that Pokémon had a higher potential than just "send Ash everywhere to do nothing". I DO love Pokéspe!
    Little OT: I read the Chuang Yi version and they are stuck at Issue 38: Do you know if there are any problems?
    I assume that since it took an entire year for volume 40 to be released in Japan (which is next week), I think they're waiting before releasing another volume.

I really like it. Of course it's not perfect, but I think it portrays the world in the original games very well. Satoshi Tajiri himself said this was the manga that most resembled the world he tried to create. That says something.
    I kinda feel bad for Kusaka, he seems to be putting effort into the manga, but the constant release of new games is putting strain on him. I also heard people are rushing him to wrap up the arcs.
    I like the art a lot. As much respect as I have for Mato, I think the art style improved with Yamamoto.
    Overall I love the manga and I can't wait for the next Volume to come out.

I love the series, why does the anime make "pretty world with animal, the harmony world with some useless shitty organization, and a kid that adventure around the continent so many year that never fulfill his dream"
    well I like dark, depth, with character death story
    it's make the world of Pokemon is not a thing for little kid play with...
    if they make an OVA based this series/games, I will regret what I say about the anime :)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast