SPECIAL: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special - Page 10
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Overall honest opinions of Pokemon Adventures/Special

I know a lot will disagree with me but there IS character development in Pokemon Special. While their core personalities are often the same (old habits are hard to break) with exceptions, they actually do learn many things on their journeys as Trainers and therefore grow and mature. They don’t just learn something in one story and forget about it in the next story like in many cartoons or even the Pokemon Anime. Plus, Red isn’t the protagonist for every arc and doesn’t fall into the same pit traps and resets as Ash’s character has. Same with everyone else.

Don’t believe me? Here are a few examples:

Red and Green (Viz: Blue) ran into each other many times during the RGB arc and were pretty rude to each other. In their battle at the Indigo Plateau, each rival shown that they learned something from the other and learned to respect each other. From there, we can plainly see that all this helped them form more respect from then on. We don’t see it but we can definitely figure it out. Individually, Red learns not to get overconfident like when his Poliwhirl lost to Mew, thinking he could take him on, as well as to know his limits. Green learned that fighting a handicapped opponent isn't fair and that it's important to always consider that.

Blue (Viz: Green) was a thief at first who’d often laugh in the face of danger when things are going well. After getting a Pokedex from Oak and receiving his forgiveness, she stops her thieving ways (unless it’s for a good reason) and becomes a more mature young lady.

Yellow at first didn’t like Pokemon Battles since (s)he hates causing harm or Evolution since I guess (s)he never saw it before. However, she gradually learns that it’s okay to fight if it’s for a good cause and becomes a better Trainer.

Dia was sick of being Pearl's sidekick and decided to speak up to say that he can make his own decisions and not always follow Pearl. Pearl realized his errors and decided to respect Dia more.

And that’s just to name a few. And I know that Yami’s going to say that they’re “generic” as usual but while that’s a tad true, I’m just stating how they did change from what they started out as and did sorta drive the plot with their own character arcs.

Okay, granted we could’ve seen some of the development but it’s like with the Dragon Ball (Z) Manga where you don’t really see the characters develop outright but you can feel that they're growing up all the same. It's also like in real life when you outgrow certain habits you had when you were young. You look back and sometimes ask yourself, "What was I thinking?" in embarrassment. Kuririn changed from a cocky coward to a braver but not so tough fighter with a good sense of humor (if you watch Kai). Goku matured from a wild jungle boy to a grown adult. Piccolo changed from an evil demon to a gruff but friendly ally thanks to Gohan and the bond they formed when training for the Saiyan. Speaking of which, Vegeta had a very gradual change from a villain to an anti-hero to a good guy (as signified by Porunga reviving him when everyone good is wish back to life before Buu’s defeated). His rivalry with Goku even becomes less hostile and he become a family man with Bulma. The development is made clear until the characters themselves or someone else realizes it and points it out. That’s when the reader gets thinking and sees how the characters changed in ways they hadn’t taken much note of. At least for me.

On another note, I know that Pokemon Special relies mostly on the games but that’s Kusaka’s intentions. He uses source material from the games to write his stories while throwing in his own ideas. He does embellish enough to make sure we’re not actually reading the games down to the last detail. Plus, believe it or not, people actually like that it sticks to the games faithfully (while embellishing, of course) as adaptations are expected to be relatively accurate to the source material. The reason why Dragon Ball Evolution failed as an adaptation was because it was extremely unfaithful to the original Manga in a horrible way. Which begs the question why they’d “based” it on Dragon Ball if they were going to pretty much change everything. This is also why the Pokemon Anime is disliked since many points in the games are left out such as the evil teams (it's pretty much just Jessie, James and Meowth) in a way that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. And the episodic plot creates many inconsistencies and many things that end up going no where. Ash still hasn't won a league, May and Dawn haven't become Top Coordinators, Brock abandoned his goal of being a Breeder to become a doctor and left the show due to the writers realizing he hasn't done jacks**t, Misty left because she also hadn't done a thing which Takeshi Shudo regretted and I could go on.

Actually, I think I know a reason why Special is now accumulating some naysayers. I heard from some who aren’t fond of the badge quest plot for the main games nowadays and like the sidegames (Ranger and Mystery Dungeon) that have a different take on Pokemon more. As such, the fact that Special are fairly faithful to the main games with a few things that have no basis in said games whatsoever is a bit of a turn off. They crave something different and PokeSpe isn’t very satisfying. I can’t kinda understand.

However, one must understand that Kusaka started writing Special after Pokemon Red and Green came out and made it big in Japan. Not to mention his intentions were to be true to the games and what was established at the time of each arc and game’s release. As such, he didn’t really have much too add that wasn’t based on in the games. And the reason he’s being true to the games is because he’s a fan of the games and a regular player. For that, I can say that he does put in a good amount of effort in that sense.

Whew! Would you believe I worked hard on all that today? Hope you heard me out.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, the truer something is to the games plot, the better for me. PokeSpe isn't all that close to the games because it has some big changes, but it's certainly much closer than the anime is and that's one of the reasons I like it a lot more. I would enjoy a manga/anime that followed the games plot exactly, while adding and expanding details more than anything else.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Believe me when I say that if I checked out a Pokemon Manga that had an original storyline about either Trainers or something else and concepts not in any of the games that I'd love it (if it's interesting). Like it took place in a whole new region with all new characters created by the author but with the Pokemon we currently know and love (since Fakemon might not fly by Game Freak as they wouldn't want them confused for official Pokemon). However, things like type match-ups, Pokemon info and such should not be changed so as not to risk jumping the Sharpedo (mind the pun).

However, Pokemon Special has and always will be an adaptation of the main series games while embellishing for storytelling purposes and so readers can be surprised at how Hidenori Kusaka handles the source material. As such, it's expected for the series to be accurate to the source material while also making sure it's not a total retread of the games. After all, many movies adapted from comics, TV shows and, worst of all, games are ill-received due to their disrespect to the source material. The Super Mario Movie, anyone? How about X-Men 3: The Last Stand? Spiderman 3? Dragon Ball Evolution? Michael Bay's Transformers? I could go on all month.

The point is that writing your own original series based on the Pokemon meta-series is one thing. You can create your own land or world as if it really was part of the actual series. But adapting an actual Pokemon game like Red and Blue is another thing. Should you screw around with things like type match-ups and Pokemon themselves, then you'll have a lot of angry fans on your hands and that's never a good thing (but that goes without saying). So really, Pokemon Special is fulfilling its quota and will always be what it is: an adaptation of the games whether you like it or not.

As for the Pokemon having better personalities in the Anime, I'll agree to a certain extent. I disagree as I think the Anime humanize the Pokemon too much as times in later seasons. They were enjoyable but they didn't seem to have any wild instincts even before they were caught sometimes.
    Last edited by matt0044; 21st February 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love the Pokemon Adventures manga! It was my very first manga that I have ever read. Let me tell u wat I used to think. Back then, when I was younger, I always hated the manga and never read it ad always watched the anime and played the games instead. However, a couple of months ago I heard of a manga that is completely different from the anime but even better. So I checked it out and loved it! My fav was the Gold/Silver/Crystsl Arc and my fav character is Gold :P So far I have read the whole entire manga series up until the very end of the FR/LG Arc. After done with that, I started to read the first volume of the Emerald chapter and didn't like it. It was just too boring. So I read wat it was about on Bulbapedia and basically knew wat it was about. Then I skipped all the way until when Gold and Crystal first appeared in the Emerald chapter and read it from then on. Basically, I read just the last fight in the Emerald chapter which was all of the 10 pokedex holders vs Archie. After done with that I am now up too the Diamond/Pearl chapter and enjoying it :)

So over all, I LOVE it! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know that it's purely a matter of opinion but how come haters of Special here (not naming anyone) tend to like the Anime instead? Sure, somethings of it are good but it has this atmosphere of blandness that it accumulated each season. And Special is "generic?" How does that make the Anime better when that series has generic writing all over it? I won't say Special is great as a Manga alone but compare to the Pokemon Anime, it is and then some (see my previous posts for more of my thoughts in detail). Sure, the art and animation for the show is neat and detailed but it hasn't got an equally great story to back it up (rarely at best).

I don't mind if people like the Anime but their reasons for liking it and hating Special baffle me. I don't mean to insult anyone or come of as a dickish moronic fanboy but... I just don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some people just prefer the anime over the manga. Perhaps some people prefer having a more simpler story, prefer having a story that isn't quite as violent as Special, or some people just prefer watching things on the TV as opposed to reading a comic adaption.

I myself really like Kosaku Anakubo's Pocket Monsters manga, the one with Blockhead Pippi. I personally love the artwork and gag humor, whereas most western Pokemon fans seem to really dislike it. But I don't let it bother me in the slightest, especially considering how rare and unheard of the Pocket Monsters manga is. In regards to Special, I like it as a manga although I prefer the GRBY chapters over the rest, but I also know that not everyone likes it.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    In regards to Special, I like it as a manga although I prefer the GRBY chapters over the rest, but I also know that not everyone likes it.
    How come? Could you elaborate?

I wish Anakubo's Pocket Monsters was released here (edits or none).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just found that the GRBY chapters were the better ones out of preference. I suppose part of it may have to do that the chapters were more simpler then, and also because I kinda prefer Mato's earlier illustration for the series, such a shame that she got sick and couldn't draw anymore... That and, I guess I could also say that I generally prefer Generation I things over things from or based on future generations.

YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!! SammyW27's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

It's everything the anime SHOULD have been and so much more...

In ORAS, Team Aqua will be black & dirty while Team Magma is white & nerdy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    This I don't agree with.

If everything was like Special, there would be no originality, and nothing to set the two apart. In many ways, I'm glad that we have many different manga series instead of just a couple for instance, as it gives more variety and allows people to find something that they would personally like.

As much as people would like to have a Special anime series, it would either be very, very short, or be filled with filler episodes just so it can be a long-running series that premiers new episodes every week. Special works better as a manga series that publishes new chapters in a magazine every month or so. It evens things out without having to put in too many fillers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    This I don't agree with.

If everything was like Special, there would be no originality, and nothing to set the two apart. In many ways, I'm glad that we have many different manga series instead of just a couple for instance, as it gives more variety and allows people to find something that they would personally like.

As much as people would like to have a Special anime series, it would either be very, very short, or be filled with filler episodes just so it can be a long-running series that premiers new episodes every week. Special works better as a manga series that publishes new chapters in a magazine every month or so. It evens things out without having to put in too many fillers.
    I think he mean that the Anime should be as good as Special in how there's an actual plot and epic adventures outside movies and maybe not JUST like it in everything else.

On a side note, I like how you're a Generation One fan who's not a fanboy about it. I actually respect you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Um, the supposed greatness of Adventures is rather subjective. Just because one person thinks it has an epic plot, doesn't mean others agree, and I'm sure this thread has proved that. But I know what he was saying, and I still don't agree with it. I like having the anime and Adventures being different from each other. I admit that the anime is no longer my cup of tea, but I thought it had good points as well, especially the original series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Special has its flaws, yes, but it also explores some very interesting concepts.

I dislike how there is basically no interaction between human and Pokemon, despite kindness and partnership with Pokemon being one of the central themes of several arcs. Yes, human-human interaction is far more important at times. That does not mean that one is to totally ignore the interaction between human and Pokemon. This is one of the traits that the anime has over the manga: it (at least early Indigo League) made room for both Ash's character development and his interactions with Pokemon (and their subsequent character development).

However, the manga has one strength over the games and the anime: it is willing to cover topics that they will not or cannot. Pokespe's defining theme is its treatment of Pokemon as dangerous animals that can hurt or even kill people or other Pokemon if provoked. A perfect example is the R/B/Y safari zone issue. I also like the pseudoscience that they use in most battles. It shows that the mangaka knows how to use Pokemon attacks creatively.

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Personally, while I enjoyed the RGB/Y/GSC arcs, I've found the DP and BW arcs to be well...pretty terrible in comparison (especially DP). I think the main problem is, aside from Dia and Pearl's "comedy routines", is the battles. I don't think Kusaka is as imaginative with the battles as he once was - and they were one of the things I liked most about the manga (Koga & Blue vs Agatha springs to mind, as does Erika vs Pryce).

I mean, I still buy the manga volumes as I want to show Viz Media that there is still demand for them (and to publish the other arcs!) but compared to the other manga I collect, they certainly have dropped down the priority list when it comes to getting new volumes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Having not read the DP and BW chapters myself (I'd rather wait for the boxsets...), I'm assuming that the battles have gotten a little more ordinary and literal? I do recall the battles in the RBY chapter putting a little more of a spin on things with the way moves were utilized and executed. It could be because back in Gen I and II, there wasn't much to work with and that they kinda had to put a little more imagination into the depictions. That said, the DP and BW chapters do sound disappointing... But that's just my thought.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast