Newbie needs help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help

Impossible is only a word BlueNostalgia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Newbie needs help

So I've read the Red/Blue/Green art as scans online, and I intend to buy them, along with the rest of the manga so far.

I was gonna buy the Viz translation, but after looking at what some of you have been saying, I'm not so sure anymore.

I don't know if the translation I read was Singaporean or Viz, but I DO know that I read it on OneManga, and it recently got taken down.

What do you suggest?
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

- Danerius Jr, my best friend and greatest Pokemon Rival

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie needs help

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNostalgia View Post
    So I've read the Red/Blue/Green art as scans online, and I intend to buy them, along with the rest of the manga so far.

I was gonna buy the Viz translation, but after looking at what some of you have been saying, I'm not so sure anymore.

I don't know if the translation I read was Singaporean or Viz, but I DO know that I read it on OneManga, and it recently got taken down.

What do you suggest?
    I suggest, firstly, that you pay no heed to the criticism about Viz. Even I was a fire-breathing dragon over minor things, but I acknowledge now that they're at least making an effort to make the series available for many more people legally. Also, the observed changes are all minor except for the censorship of Blue's Pokeboob trick.

A more proper suggestion, though, would be that you buy one volume from Viz and try it out. If you don't like it, then order the other version from eBay or something...

Also, the internet version was most assuredly the Chuang-Yi (Singaporean) version. But just to confirm: did you read it from left to right like common comics, or like actual manga?

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Blog Entries

Hmm... so you haven't read the Yellow saga yet? I'd suggest yes, you should pick them up from Viz. It's not bad, and there are little to no edits in that saga from Viz, so you don't have to worry about any missing pseudo-boob action. Viz gets better and better from the Yellow saga onwards so you should definately buy them.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kayi Rowling View Post
    I suggest, firstly, that you pay no heed to the criticism about Viz.

A more proper suggestion, though, would be that you buy one volume from Viz and try it out. If you don't like it, then order the other version from eBay or something...

But just to confirm: did you read it from left to right like common comics, or like actual manga?
    Thanks, I think this is what I'll do :) and I read it from right to left.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    Hmm... so you haven't read the Yellow saga yet? I'd suggest yes, you should pick them up from Viz. It's not bad, and there are little to no edits in that saga from Viz, so you don't have to worry about any missing pseudo-boob action. Viz gets better and better from the Yellow saga onwards so you should definately buy them.
    Thanks for the advice :)
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

Blog Entries

Just to let you know, you've been reading the Viz translation of the RBG arc. DragonGuard scans used Viz's dialogue for that arc, but then used their own for the Yellow arc onwards.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I would start off with the VIZ Media version for sure. Most of the changes they've made really and truly are minor, we just tend to nitpick at them so at times it must look like we're ripping it to shreds, but in all honesty, it's fine. That's what I'd recommend, anyways.

Humaniod Typhoon Vash teh Stampede's Avatar

You should get the viz version. Its a faithful translation. You can tell the people at viz are true pokemon fans.
    Black FC: 0519 3947 1196

If you're going to read the Yellow arc, Chuang Yi's releases used Viz's translation for that anyway. The only difference was that they reinserted the missing bonus pages, but Vz has reportedly done this in their rereleases anyway.
    So.

Viz's translation of Yellow was good, but their translation of RGB was horrible. While you should definitely buy Viz's volumes 4+, the first three would be a waste of your money.

Blog Entries

Just to let you know, you've been reading the Viz translation of the RBG arc. DragonGuard scans used Viz's dialogue for that arc, but then used their own for the Yellow arc onwards.
    Oh well in that case I'm gonna get the Viz translation, I loved the one I read online

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amarillo View Post
    Viz's translation of Yellow was good, but their translation of RGB was horrible. While you should definitely buy Viz's volumes 4+, the first three would be a waste of your money.
    Uh.... they weren't THAT bad. The only "bad" thing I can think of is the Pokeboob edit thing, and honestly it wasn't even bad! I mean, I read it and I honestly still understood what was going on during that battle. Some people just like to complain a lot because they think it's cool online and makes them look intelligent.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a couple of mistakes, but there's mistakes in CY's editions too.

Blog Entries

Also, does Viz call 'him' Blue or Green, and her 'Blue' or 'Green'?

I still haven't made up my mind about what I call them, but this will probably decide it for me.

Blog Entries

The rival is Blue while the trick-chick is Green.

Blog Entries

Uh.... they weren't THAT bad. The only "bad" thing I can think of is the Pokeboob edit thing, and honestly it wasn't even bad! I mean, I read it and I honestly still understood what was going on during that battle. Some people just like to complain a lot because they think it's cool online and makes them look intelligent.
    Ok, seriously, I keep hearing about this whole thing with the boobs, but I honestly don't remember that joke. What chapter was it in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast