New to Pokemon Manga - any advice?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hidden Mew

Thread: New to Pokemon Manga - any advice?

Blog Entries

Default New to Pokemon Manga - any advice?

Hey everyone,

Sorry if there is a thread where someone has asked this question. I have had a little scan and not seen one so here goes.

I've been playing the Pokemon games since the beginning and I have recently started watching the anime again after a few years without seeing it. I'm thinking I'd now really like to get into one of the Manga series.

Can anyone recommend a particular series of the manga for me to get into? Preferably something suited to the older Pokemon fans - although I realize such a thing might be unlikely.

I literally know nothing about the manga so any information at all would be greatly appreciated, including where I can actually get my hands on any of it.

Thanks very much in advance!

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: New to Pokemon Manga - any advice?

Out of the series I've read, which I admit isn't much, I'd recommend Pokemon Adventure/Special. It isn't aimed at an older audience, despite what some of the hype around the series says, but the storylines for each arc, which are based off of the then current video games, are fairly engaging with some really intense battles. Although I think that the battles were more intense in the earlier arcs than in the current ones. I haven't read anything of the B/W arc yet, so I don't know if that's true here. The chemistry between the trio in the D/P/Pl arc works really nicely though and I thought that it was starting to get really good in the most recent fifth volume. It also would be relatively easy to find at least some of the volumes either in a store, library or an online retailer. I would suggest getting either the first volume for the R/B/G arc or the first volume for the D/P/Pl as those would be the easiest points to jump into the series to see if you'd like to check it out. I don't know if you'd want to get the B/W small volumes they've released not only because of being incomplete and not reading any of the arc myself, but I believe that they're going to release the full volumes of that arc at some point, so there's no need to spend the money on the smaller ones. I hope that helps.
    Narcisse likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Pokemon Manga - any advice?

Thank you very much, that's really helpful :) I'll have a look in my local comic store tomorrow x